Topic

are there dangers of long term alcohol stove use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) are there dangers of long term alcohol stove use?

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’m not even sure 195 exists, actually. 190 is what everyone who buys Everclear for alcohol stove use buys (that was a grammatically horrendous sentence…).

Andrew B
    Spectator

@ajb123

Locale: Seattle

Okay, thanks – I guess I missed your joke! Given all the talk of state-to-state legality, I genuinely thought some 195 proof sold only in Kentucky and Montana was a possibility. I’ll go but some 190 this week in Seattle, and report back.

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

I bought the smallest size of this to try out when I have a chance.  Even shipped it to California.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=200+proof+grain+alcohol&sprefix=200+pr%2Csporting%2C196&crid=24506ODUQTOFL

The x-f-b stuff, consumable.  Not the denatured stuff

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wow, that’s expensive.

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

Well, what am I gonna do with my money? Leave it to my kids?!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Either way burns through it, lol.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

send some to me?

R
    Spectator

@autox

Yes: making more stoves!

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

I should have named the thread “dangers of watching water boil” next thread will be “dangers of packing in excess everclear”

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Some have been known to have a titanium flask filled with their flavored “everclear” at their side while watching an alcohol stove boil water. 

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

Dan your moto aught to be. Live slow, boil fast

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

X-F-B, wow! That’s interesting.

And heck, I don’t drink in the backcountry but I could dual-purpose this making perfume with wildcrafted plants if I have leftover fuel!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

When I was in the service stationed in France. We were able to get 200 proof from the Army hospital in Orleans, France. Nice to have friends in the right places.;) The 200 proof is way too harsh to drink straight and so we used grape juice to tone it down to make it drinkable. If I had some today I could probably boil 2 cups with 1/4 ounce.  

Live Slow-Boil Fast

-Dan

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools