Topic

are there dangers of long term alcohol stove use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) are there dangers of long term alcohol stove use?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

Hello. Curious if anyone has read about potential dangers or illness to daily alcohol cooking. Do the fumes infuse with food or drink in any way? I ask because alcohol is my go to for coffee and lunch while working outside.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I guess if you’re really worried, you can burn grain alcohol. But that might give you problems with the open container law if you are driving around to work. Unless you store the fuel in your pot and it leaks, I don’t see how it could get into the food or drink.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

No problems with long-term use of ethyl alcohol (=grain alcohol).
    Methyl alcohol is not recommended for long term use.
    Propyl alcohol is toxic in the long term, or combustion by-products are.

Cheers

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I switched to Everclear because I didn’t like the list of “nasties” in the denatured alcohol I bought.  Buying Everclear in Pennsylvania is a pain…You need a permit from the PA Liquor Control Board (basically where you sign that you’re not going to consume the Everclear) and then you have to specify the store from which you will be purchasing it.  If it’s not a store that regularly stocks it then you need to order it in advance.

It works great in my Starlyte stove…

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I never tried buying Everclear, so I had no idea it was so involved. Maybe just buy some cheap vodka and distill it at home?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Depends on your state.  I can buy Everclear at the drive through.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I would think in an open air environment you would probably be OK.  You should be able to distance yourself from the fumes some too as you will see steam coming from the pot when your water is boiling.

I wouldn’t do long term use in (more) enclosed environments.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

$16 for 750 ml a couple blocks from here at liquor store

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Yeah – It’s a PA thing.  I can buy Everclear 151 at any PA liquor store, but the permit is required to get the Everclear 190.  The permit process was pretty simple and only cost me a stamp.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Well, I burn a LOT of alcohol and here are a few things to keep in mind.  First, there is the base alcohols in liquid form: isopropyl, ethanol and methanol.  The first issue with safety is with respect to skin/eye contact.  Yes, there are health issues associated with methanol.  Isopropyl is commonly used during first aid and people drink ethanol.

Burning alcohol is a much different matter.  I tend to use Klean Strip as it is also marketed as a fuel for use with (in particular) marine stoves, though it does contain methanol.  I tend not to use HEET (yellow or red bottles) as there are other ingredients used to clean out your gas lines.  Who knows what those additives do when burned.

Ethanol has been widely used in decorative/ornamental fire places.  The chemical reactions all seem relatively safe in ideal conditions.  Incomplete combustion is a different story and there are concerns with these fireplaces due to the high volume used.  Some of these fireplaces are used indie with no verntilation

I have no issue using alcohol in the field as we are talking about minuscule volumes.   That being said, I wouldn’t use it on a daily basis: the combination of skin exposure and unknown byproducts don’t seem worth the risk.

My 2 cents

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

Thanks guys. It is nice to know there is probable cause for concern. I am never around when I burn denatured alcohol, that’s why I like it. Can set fire then wonder off, it is so cheap at $15 for 3 months use. I use a lid everytime and generally tall pots with minimal touching where the flame touches.

I’ll have to track down some everclear, it’s sold at large grocery stores after the law change in Washington, right?

What I really need is a flatcat wax stove, wink

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

No, you cannot buy Everclear in Washington State. I usually pick some up in Oregon when I am there.

Andrew B
    Spectator

@ajb123

Locale: Seattle

I’ve been looking into this question too, as I’m planning my first summer using an ETOH stove and not wanting to poison myself with toxins (or not want to have to worry that I’m poisoning myself, since I can get a bit anxious when it comes to chemicals). I’ve found the question of whether Everclear 190 is legal, and where, somewhat confusing. I’m from Washington State, too, and thought that it was not legal here. I was about to ask a friend to pick me up a bottle in OR, but then found that the BevMo! (a local liquor chain) website says they offer it (and not just the 151 stuff) at the Ballard, Seattle store, with 20 in stock:

http://www.bevmo.com/everclear-190–750-ml-.html

At least, that’s what they list on their website – will have to call the store, tomorrow, to confirm, and go pick some up. I’ll update here if it works out.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I can get 151 at the liquor store, and do, ocassionally, just as easily as wine or beer. I use it for making high-bush cranberry cordials and always try to convince the clerk of that so they don’t think I’m just walking behind the store and drinking it straight.

But 151 is a lousy stove fuel, so I get denatured ethanol at Home Depot and it lasts me a few years, getting used mostly in the Aleutians Islands.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Russell, switch to Yon’s favorite….. Esbit.

Over the years of testing stove designs, I have used over 15 gallons of denatured alcohol @ 1/2 ounce per burn test.  The only side effect I can notice is the occasional involuntary upward eye movement 

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Yeah, death by boredom waiting for your water to boil : )

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

but ohhh the sweet smell of success when you get 3 consecutive boils using 1/2 ounce of fuel 

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OR… are there dangers with long term ESBIT stove use? (Can’t stop huffin’ them fumes…)

Actually I have assiduously avoided the noxious ESBIT fumes. Can’t be good for you.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I believe the long term danger is that the longer you use one, the more chance you will start the forest on fire. Personally I have started numerous fires I had to sacrifice my drinking water to. Fortunately none got out of hand. Until I replace the canister stove I blew up, I eat cold-soaked meals. I guess I have bad luck with stoves.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Actually I have assiduously avoided the noxious ESBIT fumes. Can’t be good for you.

I really don’t think that is possible. As soon as you open the package the odor is on you like flies to dog p@@p. Blow one out while it’s burning and the cloud of smoke will engulf you faster than greased lightning. Try to handle the one that was blown out and the nasty crystals will get into every crevice of your skin and whatnot’s. Ohh the smell of esbit in the morning. It’s better you and yon do the esbit. I’ll stay with the Everclear. Ahh the smell of Everclear mixed with grape juice in the evening.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ethanol really isn’t that good of a fuel except in really warm weather. It becomes too hard to light as the weather cools.

When you get down around freezing pure methanol is much better then a methanol ethanol mix like SLX.   No fun holding a lighter next to a stove and not having the stove light and having your numb finger burn.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

I gave up trying to light my 12-10 directly with a lighter a long time ago.  I pour in the fuel, dip a small stick or pine needle (whatever’s at hand) in the fuel and then light the stick and use that to light the stove.  Works like a charm especially if it’s breezy and I’m trying to light the stove inside the cone/windscreen.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

fyi, there’s knock-off brand that’s a few bucks cheaper. I wanna say something like “Crystal Spring”. Exactly the same stuff as Everclear. If you come down here to OR to stock up, Barbur Liquors, just off I-5, has both underneath the counter.

(hmm, I was under the assumption you could get it in WA, but haven’t ever needed to know for sure)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You can buy Everclear 190 in Washington State as long as you’re old enough to buy alcohol. No other restrictions. Very few places, however, sell Everclear 195 (did you know that there’s an Everclear 195? :-)

Andrew B
    Spectator

@ajb123

Locale: Seattle

Doug, good to know! Before I go out and buy a bottle of 190, do you know if it can boil a pot of water (as opposed to the 195 stuff)?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools