Topic

Arc Haul/Gorrilla Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Arc Haul/Gorrilla Question

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

I just ordered a Mariposa during the seconds sale. I wanted a Gorilla but it was sold out. Oh well.

The capacity of the Mariposa was too big for my gear. I couldn’t hope to fill it up without my BV500 which I do generally have to bring everywhere since I am in California but my plan is to eventually get an Ursack and to have Yosemite and SEKI fall in line. Even with the BV500, I still had room when the lid flap was pulled as tight as possible.

Anyways, since a 60 liter Mariposa was too big, I did the only logical thing and ordered an Arc Haul. It looks like I’ll be able to compress the Arc Haul a lot better. Thoughts and comments on that?

Question: Gorillas are supposed to be back in stock before July 15. While it’s smaller, it looks like I could run into the same problem with the lid flap compressibility issue. Should I even bother ordering one since I’ve bit the bullet on the Arc Haul? I’d probably have to choose to keep or return the Gorrilla before the Arc Haul even arrived.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Both the Gorilla and the Arc Haul have side compression straps, not so for the Mariposa because of the side pockets. So those both will be more compressible. I just calculated the inner bag cubic interior  measurement of the Gorilla and it came out to 3,300 and that’s NOT including the outside mesh or any side loading.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Jeff, the 2016 GG Gorilla compresses quite well using the double side compression straps and the “over the top” flip top lid. The pack has served me well a few times as a day pack and quite well on several short overnighters. In the main compartment, there’s plenty of room for my 10lb base weight gear (minus water bottles and camera) and a BV450, with lots of room to close the lid and some room on either side of the canister for small gear items. With the BV500, the lid still closes and there’s still a little room on either side of the canister, but there’s not much room left on top, at least with my gear.

While I’ve never had the pleasure of using the Arc Haul or Blast, the Gorilla is very comfortable, well designed, cushy and it carries 30lbs really easily. It feels like it could carry more weight with no problem, but I have not tested over 30 lbs yet. The Gorilla does distribute weight close to your back, providing a snug center of gravity, which I prefer. My medium Gorilla weighs 32 ounces with the provided Sitlight pad included.

Edgar M
    Spectator

@edgarm

I used a Arc Haul recently at Philmont.  We had two fairly long side hikes where I cinched the pack down to use as a day pack.  If I recall correctly, I had only our group first aid, a down vest, a light fleece shirt, my lunch and 2 liters of water in the main pack body.  Cinching down the side lines/straps and rolling the top down allowed me to securely and comfortably carry that smaller load.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

As an aside.

Yosemite and SEKI won’t “fall in line” anytime soon, likely never.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I have both a Gorilla and Arc Haul. Here are some of my thoughts.

Gorilla: I still love this pack but when it gets close to 25 lbs I really started to feel it in my shoulders. It doesn’t carry the load on my hips as well.  It is very comfy right out of the box. I can get my bv450 in easily. I turned it sideways so the each side rested just past the stay. This way I never felt it on my back. My bv500 fits vertically but then I would feel it on my back because the curve of the canister would “arch” into my back in between the side of the stay. Hope that makes sense. Maybe with the new belt design the weight will transfer to your hips better. 20lbs and less it was a dream. The front, outside pocket is the best in the business imho. You can fit so much stuff in there and it stays secure.

Arc Haul: I’ve only had it on 2 trips so far and my feelings are a little mixed right now. I’m taking it on a thru hike of the JMT starting next weekend. The curse and the greatness of the pack is all of the adjustments. There are 5. Torso length, shoulder straps length, load lifters, belt and arc. It’s a curse because you can mess around with all of them for what seems an eternity. Once you get it dialed in, the pack is a dream. The gorilla only has 2 adjustments. Shoulder strap length and belt. I never really had to fiddle around with it.  The Arc’s volume is deceptive because the larger the arc, the less usable space you have. The arc is nice though and the air flow is the real deal. The outside pocket is a joke to me.  I feel like it has about 1/3 the capacity of the gorilla and mariposa. I’ve been thinking about sending it out for some custom work to replace the front outside pocket with the same material and design as GG. Not sure where to send it though. The arc definitely carried on your hips which is a positive with heavier loads. I have had a weird “sagging” feeling with the belt when I had to carry 30lbs one day. Meaning the top of the belt was “leaning” away from me. I have very high hopes for the pack though. I’m spending the next week working on the adjustments some more.

My 50 cents worth. ;-)

billy s
    Spectator

@billy610

Don B,

How are you feeling about your Arc Haul now with a bit more use? I’m very interested in this pack, but am nervous how comfortable it really is above 30 lbs. as I will typically carry 32-34 lbs.

I have a short muscular/stocky build 5’8″ 180-185 lbs. if that makes any difference on the comfort of this pack.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Locale: PNW

@surfcam310 I’m curious if you are referring to the current model Gorilla (with the stiffer belt and stay integration)? I am considering it as a replacement or smaller pack to run along with my Circuit which turned out to be a bit too large on my last 7 day trip.

Tobias E
    BPL Member

@engvall

Give me a shout if you ever find out what material they are using for the Gorilla front pocket. I’m not sure what magic fairy creatures craft that fabric, but it’s pretty amazing!

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

I sent Billy a PM with a lengthy reply mostly stating what I already wrote. I decided to sell it after my JMT thru hike. It just wasn’t for me.

@krampusoutside
    It is the previous model from 2015. I think the new version would be perfect if it was a few liters bigger. That said, I can fit a bv450 and a full 3 season set up in it.

@engvall
    The only thing I found out it that Darlington fabrics make it. GG says it’s specially made for them but I’ve seen it on other brands of packs such as REI. I actually have about 3/4 of a yard that I got from Jep Paks when they went out of business. I should email him and find out what it is exactly.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

@surfcam310 I think the new version would be perfect if they just put a simple roll top on it ;) Frustrating when companies get close with product but miss the mark by just a hair… Honestly anyone ever ask GG what their reasoning is for the pocket and flip lid. By all accounts the pocket is not useful beyond paper and the flip lid holding objects is just as well served by a simply strap a la HMG or ULA…

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

I personally dislike roll tops, find them to be a PITA to open and close.  I agree that the GG lid is not ideal but the lid design on my Osprey Exos 48 is great!  It has a pocket on the top and the bottom and it’s large enough to be very useful while adding minimal weight.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

I prefer roll tops but the GG lid is not a deal breaker. It’s more of aesthetic thing as opposed to function. I always wondered why GG doesn’t add a little more fabric and make the lid pocket larger. It’d add less than an ounce.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

How do you guys find the back ventilation on the GG packs with the sit-pad system?

I love my ULA packs but they just get a little warm on my back. It seems like the Mariposa would just have the same issue?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Same issue…

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

@landrover I don’t know personally but I have read its at least as bad as a Circuit.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools