Topic

Adding/Modifying Pockets On Zpacks Arc Haul

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding/Modifying Pockets On Zpacks Arc Haul

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Eric Poulin
    Spectator

@seekinglost

Locale: Northern MI

Hi everyone, first post here. Just bought a Zpacks Arc Haul to replace my Osprey Exos and I’m looking for advice on how best to add a couple of modifcations to the pack. I’d like to get into MYOG gear eventually, but I’m leaving for the GET in a month and have a million other things to do, no time to research sewing machines and fabrics, learn everything I need to do a quality job. I was thinking of taking it to a local tailor instead. Here’s what I’d like to do…

Mod 1 – My Exos had these small elastic pockets on the shoulder straps where I carried my gopro/grip. The Arc Haul doesn’t have these, but I NEED one, haha. Here’s a couple of pics that show the Exos’ shoulder strap pocket and my gopro carry setup:

All of the shoulder strap pockets that I could find to buy online (ula, zpacks, gossamer gear, HMG, MLD, zimmerbuilt etc etc etc…) are just a floppy pocket strapped on to the shoulder strap. This will not do, I need to firmly hold the gopro in place. Not just because I don’t want it to fall out, but because with it held firmly in place it can be used to film hands free if the situation calls for it. I’d to add a similar elastic pocket to my Arc Haul shoulder straps. Any suggestions for materials to build it?

Mod 2 – I’m finding it impossible to access water bottles in the side pockets of the Arc Haul without taking the pack off. I can’t even touch the bottles when reaching back for them with the pack on. The side pockets of the Exos were designed so that you can insert/remove a water bottle from the “side” of the side pocket in addition to the top:

I’d like to modify the side pocket of the Arc to have a side entrance like the Exos. I’m thinking the pocket will need to be completely redone in order to have a functional elastic cuff around the side opening. Additionally, the Arc’s side pockets are pretty small… With the Exos, I could fit two wide gatorade bottles in each side, but the Arc Haul only BARELY fits two smart water bottles, or ONE Gatorade bottle per side and just BARELY with a full pack. I don’t want my water carrying containers to be limited to one specific shape just because of my backpack’s side pockets. So if the pocket is going to be completely redone, might as well make them a bit larger while I’m at it. If the entire side pocket is to be redone, there goes the seam seals inside the pack, and would need to have those redone. I was thinking I could just buy the gridstop (what type to match my Arc?), the seam tape (where/what exactly is it called?), and the elastic for the openings (again, what type/name?) and have the local tailor do it. Thoughts on this, suggestions?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

re: Mod 1.  Since time is short, perhaps thread the shoulder strap through several of the larger elastic hair ties.  Use as many as you need for a secure attachment.  Install some extras in anticipation of failures.

Eric Poulin
    Spectator

@seekinglost

I suppose that could work in a pinch. I have a month, that should be enough time to order some fabrics and have the tailor work on it. Just need to know what to buy. Emailed osprey today asking what fabrics are used on the pocket and the elastic cuff, waiting to hear back.

Eric Poulin
    Spectator

@seekinglost

Well I took the pack up to the tailor in town today and wanted to see if that was something they could even do… nope. Can’t sew though the shoulder strap, she said.

I found a place online called Rainy Pass Repair, you can send in outdoor gear for custom alterations. Anyone ever used them? Or have any recommendations for a similar company that could take this on?

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

There’s also Repair Lair in Minneapolis and Santa Cruz Gear Repair. Lots of pictures of their work online.

Mod 1: It sounds like you want a permanent mod, but to add another DIY idea into the mix you could always use a couple of Voile ski straps to securely affix the GoPro handle to the daisy chain webbing on the shoulder strap.

Eric Poulin
    Spectator

@seekinglost

Thanks Greg, just requested a quote from both. I’ll have a look at the Voile straps and keep them in mind as a backup if I can’t get something done by the end of the month.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Just to be clear, I wasn’t discounting Rainy Pass–I’ve heard great things about their work–just offering some additional options so you could shop around.

Post the results when it’s done and good luck–modifying your gear so it does exactly what you need it to is very satisfying.

Eric Poulin
    Spectator

@seekinglost

Rainy Pass said it would couldn’t do it in my time frame, and said it would probably take total deconstruction of the pack to do it, and would likely cost twice as much as the pack. Also heard back from Santa Cruz, Peter  said there were a lot of variables to give a quote, I would need to ship it in for them to have a look, but they as well cannot do it in such a short time frame. I’ve yet to hear from Repair Lair. Thanks for your suggestions. I will keep searching for a solution.

Eric Poulin
    Spectator

@seekinglost

I found a local upholstery shop that will do it at $35/hr. Question, where can I buy the elastic that is used on the side pocket cuffs of the Arc Haul? I’ve searched a few places like ripstopbytheroll and rockywoods, but only see flat elastic strips. Also, on the inside of the pack, there’s some tape on the seams… what is this tape called and where can I buy it?

Arc haul side pocket

arc haul seams

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Re tape – zPacks used cuben repair tape on my early arc haul.

Eric Poulin
    Spectator

@seekinglost

Thanks! I saw that on their site but wasn’t sure if that was used in their packs.

Anyone know where can I buy the elastic that is used on the side pocket cuffs of the Arc Haul, or a similar kind of elastic that would work well?

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Eric, check out Piper’s suggestion on this thread

(7th post in) where she talks about using lycra fabric from a thrift shop. Brilliant idea, and then your whole pocket could be elasticized. Many backpack mesh pockets are topped by a lycra (spandex) edging tape which is very stretchy, but a little hard to find. I’ve sometimes just cut a strip of the selvedge (the thinner, non-printed edge) off of a piece of Lyra from the fabric store and used that.  Those Arc Haul pockets look (from the photo) like the elastic is internalized, which means they likely use either 1/4 inch or so roll elastic, which you can easily find at a fabric store, or elastic shockcord.  But I would encourage you to think about externalizing the shockcord on the top of the pocket and finishing it off with a small cordlock. In my personal experience, the elasticized pockets are often the first things to wear out on a backpack, and a shockcord plus cordlock allows you to easily change out the shock cord when this happens, as well as custom fit the tension.  Good luck!

Eric Poulin
    Spectator

@seekinglost

I like the idea of the external shock cord, I may go with something like that. Good info here, thank you!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools