Topic

Above Treeline Tent Hypothetical

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Above Treeline Tent Hypothetical

Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Gunnar H
    BPL Member

@qy

Maybe I was a bit misleading, I wasn’t really recommending Nallo as the best choice, more using it as an example. Nallo is to short for many tall people, they tend to go for Kaitum or Nammatj (or Keron) of the tunnel tents. Nammatj works better then Nallo since the higher arch in the foot end gives a steeper angle than for Nallo and is actually more spacious than Kaitum when you sit up. Kaitum, with vertical walls in both head and foot end, gives most length for laying and it will not be the end of the world if you touch the foot end wall since there is a vestibule on the other side.

People seem happy with the ventilation of both Kaitum and Nammatj, but they will never be like a tarp-like tents with mesh inner.

If you are not comfortable with the Nammatj design it may give you (and your wife) some peace of mind that it has been around since the eighties and been used in this part of the world for decades (you see them at 0:23):

YouTube video

It must be working to some extent…

Keron, its a bomber-proof church hall, but even Hilleberg enthusiasts seems to long for something lighter after a few years…

I dont know if you disregarded Helsport but you could get something like this for 1.6 kg:

http://www.helsport.no/fjellheimen-superlight

It is basically a 10cm longer Nallo in lighter materials. So it has the same design issue as Nammitj and Nallo…

(I should maybe say that I don’t own a Hilleberg, but living in Sweden it is unavoidable to get a bit experience and a lot of information on them. They are nice tents as long as you don’t carry them. My brother has the first Saitaris model that was discontinued around 2000. It is not perfect to set up in strong wind but still today bomber-prof when ready. And you can still get spare parts from Hilleberg 17 years after it was discontinued. I like things like that…)

Ken M
    BPL Member

@mwagon

Maybe a Chinook 2 person, http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-chinook-2p-tent-custom.aspx

Would work for you. I have a solo with fabric inner and 4 season poles, it’s very stable in wind (though I’ve never had it above treeline), You could even get a fly with a sod cloth for extra security in wind. Lots of options available with them. KM

Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools