Topic

A Winter Water Challenge

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition A Winter Water Challenge

Viewing 23 posts - 126 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

BTW, people do make drill bits specifically for ice.  My 2 cents

They are availabe in 1/2 inch diameter, 21 inches long

YouTube video

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Wood Auger, ebay, $16 (NOS I think).

My longest is 1/2″ x 18″, brand unknown. Well polished sides from drilling many bolt holes for decking. A lot of my older ones with a square carpenters brace fitting are by Alfrid of Sheffield, England.

Now all you need is a UL carpenters brace!

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’d rather wait for it to snow…..melt the snow or chip the ice.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

A lot of folks here in Michigan use the device below to make their way through twelve or more inches of ice…..

Chris Stearns
    BPL Member

@raddog

On thought is to find or follow where elk, moose, deer go for their water supply. Let nature be your guide

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Deer and elk in northern latitudes get most of their water by eating the green (newest growth) needle buds of evergreens in the winter. They eat a little snow but rely on foods as their primary water source when liquid water isn’t available due to cold temps.

Pierre B
    BPL Member

@pierre-benoit

Why make it simple when you can make it complicated. I believe the best solution would be to use a simple ax. This would make it possible to make a hole where there is water under the ice in sufficient quantity or to break pieces of ice where there is only ice. It will surely also be useful for planting a few stakes in the frozen ground or for preparing a campfire. Up to you

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Have you ever used an axe on solid ice?
    A good way of getting an axe through your leg.
    A strong tendency to ricochet off the ice.

Cheers

GR
    BPL Member

@rand12

Not really light weight, but I wonder if something like this can be used:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/jiffy-ice-scout-auger-system

It weights 1.6 lbs. much higher than regular auger (only 2.5″ that’s why), but could be used to get water from lakes/streams/ponds that are frozen as well. Still heavy, but lighter than some of the ideas in the thread. Would also require a lightweight handle of some kind to turn it (so will add to the 1.6lbs)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

With that auto parts store gas siphon ya might need to REALLY shake & pump it dry after use to keep it unfrozen for the next time.

BTW. maybe a LONG ice screw?  Or weld a long masonry bit to a crank handle?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Seems to me that we are talking about TWO different situations here.

* One is ice fishing when you have to make a large hole through 12″ ice. Well, good luck with that, but it is not relevant to backpacking. It does not apply to Australian conditions either!

* The other is getting water from under 1″ of ice supported by rock in a frozen creek. Well, that is what Ryan was trying to solve. I do like the ice screw as a minimalist solution, although the ice drill seems pretty good too, and might be cheaper (being more mass-market).

Cheers

Keelan Rose
    BPL Member

@keelan

Concentrated hydrochloric acid would work and you wouldn’t even need much!

Also, it’s not poisonous so you’ll be able to drink the water afterwards

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Keelan: Seriously? I tried googling that and couldn’t find anything. Plus, it doesn’t seem logical to me, unless it acts like salt on ice and lowers the freezing temperature of water. And I think whether it is safe to drink depends on the concentration. David Thomas might be a good source on this one.

Keelan Rose
    BPL Member

@keelan

David, This is why I thought it might work: https://youtu.be/JdFRjsEZrmU?si=PBMzHQbTpFUVEwpZ&t=406

Never seen anything about acid and ice otherwise tbh.

No way it’ll beat the ice screw anyway though.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Wild!

Richard P
    BPL Member

@richardpeters

I’ve used the ice screw and plastic tube. Works

Richard P
    BPL Member

@richardpeters

Bring a pump bulb and waterproof gloves ( like the Showa fishing gloves)

Richard P
    BPL Member

@richardpeters

If yo really want some fun use the ice screw to drill an angled hole, light a firework and send it down the hole. Liquids don’t compress. Boom

Glen L
    Spectator

@wyatt-carson

Locale: Southern Arizona

In the photo of the original post you can plainly see a triangular shaped rock that is right of frame just below the broken branch. It is lying on top of the forest bracken and needles. Maybe that will chop down to the water. If it’s too big maybe break it with the other rock right next to it.

Richard P
    BPL Member

@richardpeters

If you really want some fun use the ice screw to drill an angled hole, light a firework and send it down the hole. Liquids don’t compress. Boom

Keelan Rose
    BPL Member

@keelan

Wouldn’t the firework go out before going off?

Also, how would you have enough time to get to a safe distance?

Would definitely be fun though :)

Richard P
    BPL Member

@richardpeters

Google “fireworks under ice”. They don’t go out before they explode.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Ryan could  bring a motorized drill bit…or, like those who hike in desert environments, bring a gallon of water.

I myself like peace and ease when out in the wilds. Fireworks, guns, radioactive elements, hard core chemicals and all  the rest…harsh my buzz, as the kids used to say. What’s the point? I could be in a cozy cabin with a fire going, and then take a stroll out under the stars in the quiet. Water? Turn on the tap.

If snow isn’t available for melting…maybe find an alternative that doesn’t involve explosions and/or the possibility of bleeding out (axe wound, bullet wound) from trying to access a drink of water.

Viewing 23 posts - 126 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools