Topic

Ultralight Hunting: Towards a Coherent Definition

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Hunting: Towards a Coherent Definition

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Meat’s in the freezer, lets go skiing.

I got skunked this year. Not so much as a grouse.  Too much early snow closed down the pass and camp.

Did have a nice armed forest bath and some laughs with friends.

and found several backcountry cliffs to explore for climbing when its warmer.

cliff kettle north

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ great song- so very true too :)

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I’ve had good luck or success with Kimber Hunter in a 6.5 Creede @mtwarden . I try to keep pack weight in the 3.5 lb to 4lb range and usually use a Unaweep or this year used our Lanner on Integrated in spectra at about 3.5 lbs (Its sort of hunting Divide IMO). . I recently went to range finding Binocs to try to save some weight and minimize and make the process simpler. I’ve used the Kramer Bi-Pod a fair amount, but it is fiddly at times. There is a trekking pole connector that seems to work well in testing, but I have not shot much due to lack of ammo. Shelters it all depends. I rarely take a tripod, usually using a trekking pole for steadying .

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

How did I miss that last picture of the packout? Nice Mike!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I had to reread your post; you keep the pack (itself) weight to 3.5-4 lbs- I’m thinking how in the he11 does he keep his pack (load) to 3.5-4 lbs :)

I’m going to play around shooting off the Kramer tripod this summer (I’m hoping the high end hunting ammo starts trickling in sometime soon!).

Which range finding binoculars to you go with?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

How did I miss that last picture of the packout? Nice Mike!

thanks Craig!

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

@mtwarden SpectraGridHT Fabric on an integrated pack (like Divide) with a Lanner pack bag (it’s all from our custom shop). I think it was 3lb8 and I added a hip belt pocket. Lanner is 6400 total so it’s big enough and has an internal load shelf. Think of it as a hunting Divide (bigger pack bag, 3 zippered pockets, tall side pockets). I meant back only not complete. Complete I’m probably 30 -35 most of the time with everything

The Vortex range finding binocs .. but what I really wanted are the Ziess .. but I have to say I am pretty impressed with the Vortex ones. Before that, I was a Maven optic user, and I still love the B2’s and the B3 are great for the size …BUT the Vortex looks good enough , and since I got them after season I have no hunting experience , but I’ve done some hiking around ranging and I love the look and range .. and the yardage they range seems like they could help plan stalks.

I have a break on the 6.5 Kimber Hunter .. it really shoots like a kids gun , however 3 elk in 3 years works for me .

Other tidbits , I’ve often used our packs as a shooting rest, between the frame rails . Not much else .. lots of lightweight gear and some not so light .  Like a lot of UL activities ..its as much what I don’t take often.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’ll have to check out the Vortex, I get a pretty good law enforcement discount on their stuff

I got a set of 8×30 B3’s for Christmas- dandy little binos! :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have an Unaweep arriving tomorrow (My Xmas present!), fingers crossed it comes in time to pack for an overnight. Sunday is the last day of cottontail season and we have a ton of fresh snow.

It occurs to me that my 10/22 (synthetic stock) weighs almost as much as my American, save for itty-bitty 22 grain copper…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ Nice :)

I have an American .22LR coming in in the next day or two (belated birthday present! :))- it’s got the shorter barrel and supposed to weigh just a little over 5 lbs; have a Leupold 4X and Talley mounts/rings on the way- about 9 oz all in for the scope/mounts.

I’ll probably give some snowshoe hare hunting a go when I get it setup, no season- so have all winter.  I mainly got it as the grouse harvest with my .22 revolver leaves something to be desired.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

it’s Fall and time to revive this thread :)

Dave C was kind enough to sew a stove jack in my MSR Front Range, stove is burned in and ready to go

we found this skull on a backpacking trip last month- hmmmm

my 1 shot sight in (expended nearly a box of shells later dinging plates at 200&300&400 yds

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

The diameter of the antler tines … ridiculous! That’s a big boy.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ hoping he had ample time to pass his genes on :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Two weeks into the rifle season and my freezer looks the same :)  I have gotten out quite a bit, got three 3 day/2 night trips in.  The opening weekend we backpacked in the Friday before and a buddy harvested a nice five point bull Sunday morning- so we went out heavy!

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Followed this deer for a quarter mile before I could tell it was a two point (three point minimum take) I can’t even find it in my picture now. Can you? It is facing away.

two point

Bobcat tracks

bobcat

Why more durable fabrics are needed for hunting pack, some of the terrain

Kimber 308 Hunter, sans gel in stock and with Redfield 2-7 weighs 6 pounds even.

REI pack can carry quarter of Muledeer and has great hip pockets and bottle pockets that fit binocs, two way, cell phone, reading glasses, water and such easily at hand. Also durable enough for the thick stuff. Made the orange panel with glove hooks and elastic that clip to existing tie out points on pack. home made rifle sling of blaze too. Hate wearing blaze vests that get in the way of clothing changes so use  orange hat and on pack and rifle etc.

Kimber pack

Try new heavy load, hit low so up, up, up, up, good. Hornady ELD-X 178 grain, Reloder 17 2550 fps. (Not shown, Grouse load of 115 cast with IMR 4759).

new load

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

good taste in rifles!  :)

I shortened the barrel on mine to 19″- didn’t shave a ton of weight (but a little) but it’s definitely a little “handier” in hand.  I also used Talley Lightweight mounts (rings/mounts in one) and have a 2-7X as well (mine’s a Leupold).

I can definitely relate to that tough country- unfortunately that’s where the bulls head about now.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

This photo made me itch. Not in my hunting area…the big boy didn’t even see us until he was getting ready to cross the river. Sierra (the dog) was a good girl and didn’t make a peep until he took his first step into the water. Then, just a very soft woof. The elk cocked his head, we moved back 30 yards, and he nonchalantly crossed the river 🙄. I’m recovering from a Grade 2 ankle sprain now so beating the brush is out for me this year. Ugh.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

nice bull for sure :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

that looks like a herm sprenger collar on Sierra, is that what you normally use for backpacking/hiking with your pup?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Yep, that’s Sprenger collar. That collar has changed our life. It sounds antithetical, but it prevents her from pulling on leash, and she’s very well behaved when big game is around, she won’t chase anything, and voice commands very well. We trained her with it since she was a pup.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

3 day trip hunting for mule deer; pro tip- do not shoot your deer 7.5 miles from the trailhead :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

That deer looks thick!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“everyone likes a happy ending :)”

well, maybe not the deer…or is that an elk?…

I was in Austin recently and had wild boar burgers, bought as meat in a Wheatsville (?) store. Very good! It’s “wild caught”, but I’m guessing the boar spend some time eating food that takes the gaminess out of their meat before the coup de grace.  Guessing.

It’s rough hunting the aisles of a an Austin market. chilly in the freezer section. Worth it though.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Craig- he’s pretty beefy :)

jscott- never have had boar, but I’d definitely give it a go

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

The boar was really tasty! Actually there was a trailer parked near my friend’s house that would ‘process’ the kill for people who brought in their game. I was there less than a week before hunting season.

None of this approaches what you guys are doing, obviously!

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 182 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools