Topic

Ultralight Hunting: Towards a Coherent Definition

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Ultralight Hunting: Towards a Coherent Definition

Viewing 5 posts - 126 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I grilled up both tenderloins this evening.  Very simply; rubbed with olive oil sprinkled with coarse sea salt and pepper, grilled on high heat until slightly charred, but rare.  Excellent!

We only ate the one tonight.  The other one we’ll serve sliced thin (and cold) on crusty bread with a horse radish sauce :)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I’ve tried backpacking hunts a few times in Alaska but they never quite worked as planned.

Twice I’ve “backpacked” with overnight gear and shot my caribou before I could find my first camping spot. Then I just had more stuff to carry out! But I’ll take my wins.

A better strategy was to paddle a canoe through a lake chain and the day hike from a basecamp. I packed light so the portages were easier. The canoe made getting the meat out a lot easier.

I keep thinking about a Kimber but a Ruger American is light enough and cheaper. I got one in 358 Winchester and trimmed it down to 6.5 pounds with a scope. Now I need to work up some reloads so it more the a 250 yard gun. It hammers caribou and bears though.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Well it’s 2022 :)  I haven’t been hunting yet for myself, but got to play “sherpa” on two different trips.

Tom’s father-in-law drew a Cabinet Wilderness sheep tag after 40 years of putting in!  It was archery season still for sheep (it’s now open for rifle) so we knew it was probably more of a scouting mission, but you never know.  We hunted for three days, scouted several nice looking basins and turned up some younger rams, but nothing worth pursuing.  Great trip in some fantastic country nonetheless.  I told Tom his fall is booked until his FIL fills that tag :)

Just two days after I got back from the Cabinets, I had to clean and repack my gear for a four day mule deer hunt that my buddy Josh drew in the Mission Mountains.  It was another rather arduous hunt in more steep country.  Josh passed on a nice buck; he’s holding out for even nicer buck.  Also another great trip!

W I S N E R !
    BPL Member

@xnomanx

Amazing country Mike. Looking forward to it!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Amazing country Mike. Looking forward to it!

should be a good trip :)

Viewing 5 posts - 126 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!