Topic

Best Portable Charger

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Portable Charger

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

What is the best portable smartphone charger to carry on the trail for 1-2 week trips? Lighter is better, tougher is better….obviously. I don't want to fool with solar chargers, just want one battery pack that doesn't weigh too much but can charge a Galaxy S5 3-4 times at least. TIA.

Mark Haffner
    BPL Member

@markhaffner

Locale: PNW

I use 18650 battery cells with a Miller 102 charger/recharger. Verstile as you take as many cells as you need for your charging needs. The Miller weighs 1.8 ozs with charging cable. Each cell weighs 1.6 ozs. For my Iphone 5 I can get around 2 charges per cell (3400 mAh cell). I also use 18650s in my headlamp and this set-up will charge anything that can be charged via a USB port, ie Steri-pen, GPS. Of note, the Miller 102 v7 only takes unprotected cells. Protected cells are usually a couple mm longer and won't fit in the charger (at least in mine). Unprotected cells work fine, just need to be stored in some kind of case so they don't short out, also must be kept dry. fasttech.com has the Miller 102, any cables that you may need, and protective cases for the cells. Expect at least a few weeks for delivery with fasttech. Amazon sells Panasonic 18650 3400 mAh cells for less than $10 each.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Mark nailed it.

Those Panasonic cells are very good. You can buy cheaper ones that have less capacity, but then you can't recharge as much. You can't beat the $10 price by very much.

–B.G.–

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

The 18650 option is very interesting particularly when incorporated with a 18650 light. Eric will tell you that you are going to die using unprotected cells, and he may be right. I doubt that a 10$ battery is a real Panasonic, so the 3400mah you think you are getting may have a lot less capacity. I think that the least complicated and most dependable charging solution is an Anker charger, they are really efficient, and deliver what they claim. Size according to the number of charges you need, perhaps add 10%.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Most everyone I know is using a Jackery model of some sort (also available on Amazon). Have yet to hear anyone have anything bad to say about them.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Mark had mentioned the Miller charger/recharger. Compared to a battery holder, it holds the 18650 while the battery is being charged up from USB, and then it has a voltage booster to convert the nominal 3.7V up to about 5V for a USB connector going to your device.

Hmmm. Why don't we hook up the output to the input, and then it can keep the 18650 perpetually recharged?

–B.G.–

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

I have what I believe is the device "Miller" that was mentioned, but am only able to get an unprotected 18650 into the slot. Does this jive with what others have found?
    Don

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

The Miller Charger/Battery Bank only takes 18650 cells that don't have a button top (button top cells are too long for the Miller). That means you have to use the flat top cells which as far as I know, are always unprotected.

This isn't an issue because unprotected cells are safe to use as long as you use them in a device that has the same circuitry that is built into the protected cells.

The Miller has this protection built in (overcharge protection – won't allow the battery to explode from being over-charged and over discharge protection – won't let the battery discharge to a point that it can't be charged). The Zebralight 18650 flashlights and headlights have built in over-discharge protection built in as well, I use unprotected cells in them all the time.

If you want to use protected cells that won't fit in the Miller charger/battery bank, the eNB 18650 Charger is a really good charger/battery bank (and inexpensive). It takes both protected and unprotected cells (button top cells fit) and can run on one or two 18650's so the weight is only slightly heavier than the Miller charger (Miller = 1.2 oz, eNB = 1.6 oz). The eNB is a nicer charger than the Miller and has a battery level indicator that's great.

Be careful if you order the eNB 18650 charger. The one I linked above can use one or two batteries but eNB has the same charger that has to take two 18650's (it won't run on one).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

You know how some of these chargers have a built-in voltage boost circuit to kick up the nominal 3.7V up to 5V? This is good for the many devices that are powered or charged from USB 5V. However, what about the other devices that need higher voltage, like 12V?

I have a camera battery charger that will operate off 115VAC or else 12VDC. It would be neat if I could plug that into some sort of 18650-based power.

The reason I ask is that some new camera batteries are priced at $50-$70.

–B.G.–

Zakary Paronto
    BPL Member

@bigredbeard

http://www.amazon.com/9600mAh-Portable-Charger-External-Technology/dp/B00DMWV3EU/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1421742785&sr=8-25&keywords=anker+batteries

i love this battery it charges my iphone4 more the 4 times. 3 amp output charges very fast, this model is a little heavy but anker makes a variety of sizes.

Holocene .
    Spectator

@holocene

Locale: Georgia

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Dual-Port-Rechargeable-Smartphone-PCPB90002/dp/B00DWPMU12#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1421794594899

I've had good results with this one. 9000mAh, 6.6 oz. Can get four our close to four charges on our Galaxy's.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I bought this one but haven't used it on a trip yet; I got the 6000 mAh as I would only be using it with an iPhone on a trip longer than 3-4 days and I got the bright green because I thought it would be easier to see in a pack, hotel room, etc.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

That Miller charger is awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I just got a new "tough" camera that, unlike my last one, can charge via USB, which makes this device all the more enticing (even though I just bought two new batteries for the camera and an extra battery charger for $7…).

I love that you can carry as many batteries as you deem necessary for your hike, and that if you are hiking with a friend, you can use the one device with many batteries!

Mark, which headlamp do you use?
    thanks!

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

I would love to try something like the BD Ember but at $50 the price is pretty steep for what it is. I've seen a number of Chinese companies that sell similar items on Amazon (The RavPower Model in particular looks intriguing.) These version go for far less, between $10 and $15.

Has anyone used one of the combo units that has an internal 18650 cell and a flashlight built in? I'd want to make sure the flashlight is usable not some 5 lumen junk light. This seems like a great multi-use opportunity.

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

I don't know that I'd call it a *charger*, per se, more "backup battery that happens to emit light", but the BD Ember is pretty sweet; took one to Iceland this past month and once per day like clockwork it would put the spec'd 1.5 charges back on my iPhone 5; the cell in the Ember seemed a lot more cold-tolerant than the one in the phone. Brighter than a BD Spot headlamp on max. Handy piece of kit.

Mark Haffner
    BPL Member

@markhaffner

Steven, Like Mike W above, I use a Zebralight.

http://www.zebralight.com/H600w-Mk-II-18650-XM-L2-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_117.html

Not the lightest light, near 3 ozs with battery, but they are very well made, waterproof, and easily programmable for just the right amount of light.

Interested in trying the eNB charger that Mike mentioned, but the Miller seems to work well and is about the lightest and most versatile setup I've found.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Folks remember that you have are carrying a a bomb when you have an 18650 bats

Mike is correct that many devices have built in protections … However if yr carrying additional bats, you risk shorting them either with metal contact or moisure … And when that happens it could be KABOOM !!!

Not to mention, the protection is an electronic device assembled by overworked and underpaid nimble chinese fingers in sweatshop with who knows what quality control … And can fail …

Alot of these folks that use unprotected bats are using them in nice dry urban environments … The outdoors posr a substantial risk in that if your pack goes KABOOM, there goes yr gear and medical help might be far away

On candlepowerforums there is an entire section devoted to exploding bats

Theres a reason why airlines banned shipping loose 18650 bats by airmail

;)

Mark Haffner
    BPL Member

@markhaffner

Eric,

I've also read many of the reports on candlepowerforums about exploding batteries. Can make for some pretty scary and intimidating reading. I've also talked to several people who have much more knowledge than me about how to mitigate some of the dangers. As I said in my initial post, and as you reiterated, loose unprotected batteries can't be allowed to short out or get wet. I use protective silicone sleeves for each battery. A single battery comes out of it's sleeve into the charger. When the charging is done it comes out of the charger and immediately back in to it's sleeve.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1706400

I have a dedicated water proof bag for the batteries and this goes inside my pack in another water proof bag that I use for down etc. If it's wet out I don't charge any electronics until it can be done in a dry setting. Do you think that this is enough safeguard? Or am I playing with a ticking time bomb?

Mark

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I think Eric is being a bit over the top about exploding 18650 cells. Yes, they can explode but that doesn't mean they aren't safe to use with a little care.

Hey, guess what, your laptop battery is a bunch of unprotected 18650's! The battery pack that houses the unprotected 18650 cells in your laptop battery has built in protection for charging and discharging, the same as the Miller and eNB chargers.

So why do we hear about them exploding? Because a lot of people build their own battery packs and chargers!

I've bought a protected wall charger for my lithium batteries (charges both 18650's and 14500's). I use unprotected cells and this charger prevents over-charge which is the biggest danger with lithium batteries.

Don't put unprotected cells in any device that doesn't have it's own built in circuit protection. As mentioned, the Miller and eNB chargers do have built in protection and so do my Zebralight flashlights (I have four Zebralights that use unprotected lithium cells).

Shorting lithium battereies can be dangerous and even though short circuit protection is even built in to some (not all) unprotected cells, I'd not recommend carring them in a pocket full of coins. I carry mine in a Waterproof 18650 case .

It's also safest to use one 18650 battery in a device (some flashlights take two which ups the risk). I have the eNB charger that takes two but I generally only use one battery at a time in that charger/battery bank. I do however charge two batteries in my wall charger as I know that my wall charger has independant charging circuits for each battery.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

Will,
    You're right I had misinterpreted the theme of the thread and accidentally tried to derail it. I should have read a little more closely.
    Good to know about the Ember though, it looks sweet, just a bit hard to justify the price on it.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I don't have any problem carrying around unprotected 18650 batteries. A plastic bag works. Or, wrap it in plastic wrap and then drop it in a plastic bag.

If I get to the point where I think one of my 18650 batteries has been compromised, I ship it up to Vancouver Canada and I never hear from it again.

Carrying a single 18650 battery or else using a single 18650 battery in a device is not a problem. It gets more complicated if you are trying to use multiple batteries in series or in parallel. Then you can get all sorts of interesting interactions happening, and that might lead to a hazard.

–B.G.–

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Folks let start of by saying what you do is yr own business, protected or not =P

But lets clear up a few misconceptions

– laptop batteries are protected, they are sealed in the battery pack and the protection is on the pack … You do not take out the indiviual 18650 batteries …

Read this

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_circuits_for_modern_batteries

– devices from reputable manufacturers that have built in li-on batteries are matched to the protection on the devices … They have better quality control generally … I recently posted up a report of someones samsung catching on fire with an aftermarket non-oem bat

– single unprotected batteries are NOT "safe" theres been multiple cases of individuals having devices blow up with ecigs which have only one bat

Heres someone who had one blow up in their mouth

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/241786.php

– even protected batteries are not "safe" they are "safer"

– most problems with bats happen when charging, especially with cheap brand chargers (and bats), but theres been KABOOMs even with regular use

Heres the fema report on ecig fire and explosion risk

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/electronic_cigarettes.pdf

Heres one which blew up in a pub

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/world/e-cigarette-explodes-sets-fire-barmaid-england-article-1.1749808

And heres a whole bunch of incidents

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/drugs/it-was-a-kaboom-why-do-e-cigs-keep-exploding/

How much are you saving from buying unprotected bats? A buck or two?

The reason folks tend to use unprotected bats is so that high amp draws on those 3000 lumen lights or those mod ecig tokes doesnt trigger the protection

But for charging and headlamp use thats irrelevant

Remeber you have a bomb strapped to your head which might be made by underpaid overworked nimble chinese fingers

If you dont use protected bats then make sure your cognizant of safe handling practices religiously

You arent saving much money, and for regular use theres no reason to use unprotected li-on bats

and use quality bats and chargers

;)

I have a dedicated water proof bag for the batteries and this goes inside my pack in another water proof bag that I use for down etc. If it's wet out I don't charge any electronics until it can be done in a dry setting. Do you think that this is enough safeguard? Or am I playing with a ticking time bomb?

Mark,

Thats your call … If you do use it in a headlamp i highly recommend only protected though

My view is to get protected and the devices that fit it

Theres alot of "information" where folks will argue this or that

I simply post up incident reports and reputable links with information and folks can decide what they want to do

My view is that unless u need need the high amperage draw theres no real reason to not use protected

petemanteau
    BPL Member

@petemanteau

Locale: San Francisco

Thanks for the info on the Miller and the eNB chargers, folks. Gonna get my hands on one of these, I think. Anyone ever use a solar panel to charge these? I'd have to do the numbers to see if when it would be worth it. A quick search yielded the weight of an 18650 as 48g. That means a suntactics 5 (240g) plus 2 18650s (96g) would be 336g, which is the same weight as seven 18650s.

Have any of you done experiments to see at what point (ie at what trip length/device usage) does it become a better idea to bring a couple batteries and a solar panel vs a pile of (potentially explosive?) batteries?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I have not done a definitive study on this. However, it is fairly impractical to carry a solar panel hanging on the sunny side, doing that all day long on the trail, and expecting it to maintain charging all day. I don't care if you are above timberline and it is sunny. You might get a lot of charging or you might get enough charging, but you will never get anywhere near the maximum rating of the solar panel. For a moving solar panel, I would not expect to get more than 10% of its rating over the span of a day, at least not for Northern California where I am. If you go to Nick Gatel's backyard, you might be able to do twice that much.

Where the solar panel is really good is when you are going to one spot where you are staying for a day or two before moving on. You can set up the solar panel in a perfect spot in the sun and then just let it soak all day. That works a lot better.

So, before you commit to this, beg, borrow, or steal a solar panel to test. Also, there is a little metering gadget that is handy. It plugs into a USB connector, and it will display alternating voltage and current. That allows you to get a good handle on what power you can actually get out of the panel. The electronic device that you are trying to power up is much more predictable about how much power it needs, so a day or two of use of that and you know your requirements. Some electronic devices are picky about the character of the input voltage and current.

All of that is for a long trip. If you drop down to a short trip, say one week or less, it is nearly always more practical to simply carry some extra spare batteries of the appropriate types and skip the solar panel. For best weight efficiency, lithium disposable batteries are the choice.

Incidentally, the practical sizes of backpacker solar panels tend to be between 5 watts and 10 watts. Less than 5 watts, and you may not be capturing enough solar power to do much good. More than 10 watts, and you may have a pig to carry around.

–B.G.–

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

To me, 18650's seem as safe as anything else. Whether the battery has its own protection circuit or relies on the products protection circuit, they're all made by nimble Chinese fingers, yes? Plus, there are literally billions of them being used so statistics would say 18650s are pretty safe. Even a 12v car battery can explode under certain circumstances and produces flammable hydrogen gas. We all use them though.

Ryan

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools