Topic

BPL Reacts to distasteful ad complaints

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support BPL Reacts to distasteful ad complaints

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

from a general BPL email today:

"…..we are aware that some distasteful advertisements are being served by a third party advertising server at the website. If you discover these ads, please contact us via our customer support page

http://support.backpackinglight.com

and file a support issue. Be sure to include a screenshot of the ad and the URL to which it redirects.

We have a direct contact with our ad server and are working to resolve this issue ASAP. While we have filters in place, it appears that some of these advertisers are gaming the system a bit.

Thank you very much for helping us maintain the quality of BPL, Ryan Jordan Publisher"

Old Saying: The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Corollary – the buzzing mosquito gets slapped.

David Ure

@familyguy

First thing that popped up when I looked at this thread…

b

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

flagged.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yeah – they are all over the site. Seem to be coming from the same site? I have sent in two tickets already.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I don't know if it's connected but I'm getting NO ads of any sort at the moment.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Finally, but wait..

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=96593

Is from the end of October and it had already been while that the problem arose. Why does everything here take months if ever to happen?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=97492&skip_to_post=827148#827148

David Ure

@familyguy

"I don't know if it's connected but I'm getting NO ads of any sort at the moment."

Might be because of the membership type. I just saw one for Bryan Adams tickets and then one for Applebees….who knows.

Ken, do you see any?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Personally, I don't click on ads, and would recommend that no users do (not even to get the URL the ad is directing to) — not out of any BPL anger, but because ad networks simply aren't trustworthy. Malvertising is a known phenomenon, and an increasing one. I also don't allow Flash to automatically run when I visit a page, I have to click an ad just to initiate the Flash (which I never do).

Interesting reading: http://www.proofpoint.com/threatinsight/posts/malware-in-ad-networks-infects-visitors-and-jeopardizes-brands.php

Edit to add – and on my Mac I have a program called Little Snitch which monitors all of my network traffic and lets me know when anything is trying to make a connection 'out.' I deny almost all of them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I run Adblocker, so not 99.9% Those Amazon ones in the Weekly Digest though still get through. Ftards

My contract with BPL was for no ads and so much more. All has been taken away over the years. I expect the mailing list to be sold any time now.

Not pessimistic. Realistic, experienced.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Asian ripe beauties [eyes bug out]!!? Oh, wait, I'm married. Never mind.

Seriously, kinda odd on a backpacking site. Just saying. Thanks for the tip that ads sometimes are a trick. I sometimes click just to support a particular website. I'll have to think about that now.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

Anonymous
    Inactive

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Oh, and before your friends jump in and tell me what a bad, mean, inconsiderate person i'm being,"

Nah. Ignorant (in its true meaning) maybe. Other than that you're just being human.

But I've spent a few weekends with Ken over the last few years, and always found him quite fun and pretty positive when out in the woods. There's more laughing going on than anything else. I don't spend the money to fly out to Cali to have a bad time with negative people. I have lots of fun with cool people, so I keep going back.

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

Kinda harsh there, Justin. Never met Ken, nor call him a friend, but he's our unofficial BPL ombudsman; always calling the bs as it is.

I really wish Ryan would extend an olive-leaf and offer him a staff position as a moderator (seriously).

When I was new at bpl and got a little flame-y, Ken's rebuke was thoughtful, needed, and kind.

Keep on keeping on, Ken. A big 'Ole +1 for your speaking truth to the system!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Justin, I am not defending Ken as he is well able to do so himself.

I find your comments very harsh.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

All my BPL dating ads are about Russian women.

Ken and RJ should go backpacking together. The two of them for a week in the Sierras would be great. Maybe Roger Caffin could join so he could finally see some good camping weather.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Let there be peace and respect, brethern.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'll tell you what i'm sick of.

I skip some people's posts entirely. Like they do not exist. It can be done.

RJ and I doing something together is not out of the realm of possibilities. I've even extended invitations to him to attend the GGG. There was even talk about a phone call to get to know one another. I can get along with pretty much anyone. I just do not give time for BS. Well, not much time. Unless it's fun, on occasion. well crap…

I also offered my time to be a moderator. No reply.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I pulled all my comments on this topic, because the lack of meaningful resolution was driving me nuts.

That said, I feel a need to speak up and say I'm 100% with Ken. When a person goes out and says one thing and then just ponders on doing another thing, that person deserves to be called out to task. I expect better from my 9 year old nephew, and he doesn't charge me a fee.

I just didn't have the strength.

Thanks Ken for your perseverance. You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I seem to only get ads for bras from Zappos.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I remember many moons ago when briefly joined Facebook, the "dating" ads seemed to be on a cycle, trying to figure out what floats my boat. It started out with busty blondes; when that got no clicks, a few days later it switched to "Asian" girls, then cycled through "mature", "teen"; I then learned what the term "BBW" meant, from some fairly graphic illustrations. Eventually, when the algorithm figured that none of this was working, it tried hunky young men with shaved chests. I stayed on Facebook for an extra 2 weeks before closing my account, just to see what would turn up next….

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

If I thought I could get a girl like Maria Sharapova, I'd click on that "Date Russian Women" ad in a second.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

If y'all would stop talking about cheap Chinese and Korean equipment in Gear I'll bet the Asian dating ads would dry up overnight…

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Misery attracts and begets misery, and some folks are only happy when it rains"

The PNW attracts them like honey attracts bees. We so happy up here we call it liquid sunshine. C'mon up and get a PNW sunburn, Ken. You, too, Justin. ;0))

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If I thought I could get a girl like Maria Sharapova, I'd click on that "Date Russian Women" ad in a second."

You'd better be a fast man with the "mouse". ;0)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools