Topic

Katabatic backbacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katabatic backbacks

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Mike…

The volume seems quite similar to be honest. The gorilla is always bigger than I think it is and holds way more than I think it does, and the Helios 40 seems to be the same. I'd put them very close in overall volume.

I used to think the Gorilla was the best-fitting pack I'd ever had – until I put on that Helios. FOR ME, it's like wearing nothing (Doug, shush.)

The 40 is a perfect size for the vast majority of my trips. I'm not at all sure how it would do with a bear can, tho…I am not a strap-it-to-the-outside kind of hiker so it has to fit in there without trouble. Not sure I would do that with a cuben hybrid 40. Now the VX material…maybe. I'm not going to think about the 55 any time soon…….I won't need a bear can for a while, so I should be fine with this 40 for at least a little bit. Now next year………

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Few questions if I might. I'm going to pass on cubeb, differences between the Helios and Artemis beside the front pocket?

With a single stay, how well does the load lifter setup work? On my Lightning they put a "T" that goes across the top of the stay and the lifters come off of the T- works wonderfully

The hip belt on the Lightning is superb, but the shoulder straps leave room for improvement- they're too narrow and thin for heavier loads. How are the straps on the Kats?

It could be me, but I can't reach the bottle holder pockets easily, Kats?

I'm not fond of the compression system on the Lightning especially when lashing snowshoes or the like, how's it on the Kats is the Helios or Artemis better suited?

I like the Lightning, but it's not perfect

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Jennifer,

Thanks for your reply and thoughts on volume, etc. Very helpful.

I am very tempted to try this pack. Will need to choose between 40 and 55 and between Helios and Artemis. Choices, choices. Will think about it on my upcoming trip with my Gorilla.

I’ve read that the compression on these packs is very good. Do you think it would be overkill, or even necessary, to ask Katabatic to mod the pack, the 55, by running the compression strap all the way round the front (back? What people call the front always seems like the back to me) of the pack–under the shov-it pocket. Perhaps a third strap too?? I'm not even sure they offer any custom work.

M

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

I have been using an older Gorilla (and sometimes an Ohm). I just got my new Helios 55 for carrying a bear canister and/or my son's stuff. Hopefully I will get a good test in the next couple of weeks on how it compares.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Cool. Please post post-field thoughts.

Andy E
    Spectator

@andye

Locale: Northern California

Has anyone had their Artemis out in the rain? I read how the open pocket on the Helios can funnel water in, but on my Artemis everything seems pretty waterproof. I'm hitting the JMT in a week and was thinking of going without a pack liner… just sticking my sleeping bag in a cuben stuff sack for peace of mind.

whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

It's funny to come across Andy's question: I've been on the CT for the last 12 days, holing up tonight in Leadville hostel for resupply. I just spent last four days in rain and I'm carrying an Artemis.

It worked incredible well in rain–and I love the large pocket, more so than the mesh pockets I've had on other packs. On 7/8 it rained virtually all day. I used a garbage bag liner for my sleeping bag only. The rest was in cuben sacks but at the end of the day I didn't feel any moisture on them. One day I kept my map/data book in large pocket right up against the zipper without putting it into ziplock and still the book was dry.

Initially, I had my concerns about the heavier weight of the Artemis but I really like it. No only for its high water resistance but durability as well. Much stronger against abrasion than cuben hybrid.

Hope that helps. I'll do a CT gear review when done.

Chris Chandler
    BPL Member

@chandler325i-2

Locale: lost angeles

Sorry folks this is a bit overdue. I kept the Helios. I wouldn't say it's "the one" for me, but it served me well. If there's anyone else in a similar pack market, here's some food for thought…

I was looking for a pack that could support my 11# baseweight plus a 13-day stretch of food for a planned Iceland traverse. The trip came together with only 6 weeks advance notice, so options were limited and had limited gear testing time to find a pack that fit well and could carry over 35# well enough for about six 20-mile days, after which point the food weight will be low enough that it’ll be back under a proper lightweight load capacity.

Unfortunately, that traverse got scrapped upon arrival due to very stern warnings from Search and Rescue about central highland conditions, and we enjoyed a completely different trip around Iceland instead and never ended up having to load 13 days of food at once (wish SAR would have been more forthcoming during emails leading up to our arrival, but I digress…).

In the past, I had comfortably carried my GoLite Jam with a similar baseweight and 10 days of food in Patagonia, but I was also using a ridgerest and got a great frame with that folded against the back. I found that, after switching to a NeoAir, there was no way I could get a comfortable enough virtual frame in the Jam to support much over 30#, and that wasn't going to cut it for the Iceland plan. I should also note that I'm 5'8 and around 145-150#, not hipster skinny by any means. And yet, my Jam hip belt is at it's limit with how tight I can adjust it. Wouldn't have gone well if I lost some weight during the traverse

Here were my initial Helios vs Aquilo thoughts after 'round the neighborhood tests:
    I preferred the features of the Aquilo, but above about 33#, the Helios carried the load better and that's ultimately what my decision came down to. Wish I had time to also audition a ULA Catalyst. My girlfriend loves her Circuit, but you have to be mindful of the carbon suspension system in there, and having it loaded onto puddlejumpers, been forced to gate check it onto planes, and packed it into busses has worried her in the past (Chris from ULA specifically told her not to check it on the plane because those have been damaged that way). I didn’t want that worry. The Catalyst has the aluminum stays but no carbon suspension. Maybe I stalled on ordering one to try out because I didn’t want to match her…

I liked the functionality and materials of the Aquilo better, as well as the external pockets and hip belt pocket design, but above 35# I experienced a lot of sag. This is no surprise, as that’s what Matthew rates it to. I was testing how the pack would do if I pushed it beyond that limit a bit. I like to carry the weight up high, almost between my shoulders. If the load sags into a pack, I end up hoisting it up really high on my hips to shift the load up. No matter how differently I packed it or reduced the volume down low before packing, I felt like I was carrying a lot of the weight down low. And while I could get a much better hip belt fit with the 4-way adjuster, I’ve become so used to the single-adjustment of my Jam of “clip it, rip it, and hike” that I lost interest in fine tuning the Aquilo hip belt. I also prefer the “contact points” of the Aquilo—the shoulder straps and hip belt just felt better in the places that they contacted my body.

I’ve never dealt with cuben before I got the Helios, but I have to say I don’t like the fabric. Katabatic had both the V40 and the cuben in stock in a Helios in my size. After discussing how I use a pack with Aaron, he steered me towards the cuben. The V40 version also uses heavier duty webbing and clips, and overall clocks in around 7 ounces heavier if I recall from the specs.

The cuben is very stiff and crinkly, almost like tyvek. I’m sure as it wrinkles more, it will loose that crinkliness, but right now every step I take sounds like there’s a piece of paper being crumpled right behind my head. I’m also dubious of its longevity given how much I abrade packs hiking off trail and bushwhacking. Not much to abrade it on in Iceland, however, so at the very least I think it will serve me well out there. The stiffness of the cuben has one benefit: I believe that’s what helps keep the shape of the pack and transfer the load. The pack compresses down really well, and whether packed full or reducing the volume for smaller loads, it seems to retain its shape and hold everything very snugly. The bottom is tapered, so it helps push the load up higher like where I prefer to carry it.

The Helios straps at the bottom of the shoulder straps come too far around my back to where they attach to the pack, almost wrapping around behind me too much. This causes them to rub in spots on my love handles, and sometimes pinches me between that webbing and the top of the hip belt if I bend over to pick something up. Maybe motivation for me to lose some weight. I haven’t read of anyone else having this issue. I also wish that the shoulder straps were angled a little more at the top of the pack. They don’t conform well with the shape of the top of my shoulder, so the inside edge of the pad straps has more pressure on the top of my shoulder than the outside, rather than a nice even distribution that I get in my Jam and the Aquilo. The wing hip belt is surprisingly effective and comfortable, and can adjust down at least a couple of inches smaller than the medium Jam.

Helios thoughts after 30 days hiking with it:
    – the suspension and back pad are EXCEPTIONAL. I can't overstate how well this pack carried, adjusted, and balanced with me. The back pad is very stiff, much stiffer than the Jam, and the shape makes the pack so much more comfortable to carry. The hip belt works extremely well, even though at first glance it looks very similar to the Jam. It is not. It is much better than the Jam belt. Same complaint as the Jam, and any other pack with a mesh-style hip belt and back pad: they collect all kinds of crap. It's a trade off for the ventilation
    – Get the 55. The pack reduces in size incredibly well. I was torn between the 40 and 55, and honestly, but if your gear and food are small enough to fit in the 40, you should be considering a much less expensive, more minimal frameless pack. You can make the 55 fit almost flat against your back when you don't fill it (which I did for the return flight(s) because I packed most of my stuff into the checked back on the return). Even compared to my Jam 50, with the clips at the bottom that reduce the volume to 35L, the Helios could reduce down to a more streamlined mini backpack. I had no trouble using it as my carry-on, even on the flight out when I had all my gear in it minus sharp or flammable things, or food.
    – the haul loop is too small. The webbing needs another couple of inches on it to be able to properly hold the weight of the pack by the loop as you take the pack on and off without always almost dislocating an elbow.
    – The pack held up wonderfully during a particularly dense portion of bushwhacking. I had cuts on my legs and arms, even through my long sleeves and pants, but no cuts or snags on the pack. I credit this in part to how streamlined it packs down, things just glide off of it instead of snagging on loose bits
    – the re-enforced bottom section of the pack seems incredibly durable. No abrasion wear whatsoever after setting it down on all kinds of rocks
    – I wish the front shove-it pocket was a burlier cuben, or even V40. The only abrasion wear on my pack is on a couple spots on that pocket.
    – I continue to hate rolltop closures. Maybe I'm a minority here, since they seem to be all the rage, but I hate having to unclip 3 clips and unroll in order to get in and out of the pack. The Jam is so fast and easy–one clip, yank the top open, one-handed pull to cinch it back shut, and one clip to close. The pack is not water tight. Things that need to be waterproofed are inside pack liners inside my pack. What is the point of the rolltop?? I can see how it provides some structure and compression to the pack, but that could be accomplished with fewer straps and do-hickies.
    – I wish the design on the front pocket was slightly different. If you look at some of the posted photos, notice how the bottom side straps stop at the first seam of the pocket. The top side straps continue through a little loop (brilliantly simple way to create an ice ax loop) and affix to the seam between the front patch of cuben on the pocket, and the side stretch material of the pocket. What this means is, the top of the pocket doesn't stretch or give at all if you have those side compression straps cinched. It's easy to slide maps in and out, but if you have something bulkier like rain gear or insulation stuffed in there, you have to loosen or unclip the side straps to get them in and out. I think this could be remedied by having the top side straps terminate at the same pocket seam as the bottom straps, and then have a shock cord along the top edge of the pocket. Adjust the stretch/tension of the mouth of the pocket with that, and leave the straps where they are when you need to get in and out of the pocket.
    – Someone mentioned the front pocket catching water and pooling at the bottom. Maybe this was a design update, but my front pocket has a tiny little drainage hole at the bottom center. I was in some pretty prolonged driving rain with a pack liner on the inside and nothing on the outside, and I never had a problem with water filling the inside of the pack (any more than I'd expect/bother noticing)
    – You can stuff a LOT of things into the stretchy hip belt pockets.
    – no problem getting water in and out of side pockets on my own, and that was with 1L platy soft bottles. Would have been even easier with a solid water bottle like a smart water

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I just returned from using the Katabatic Artemis 55 on a 7-day trip, so I'd like to post my thoughts on the pack (given how little information is currently out there on it). Quick summary: The pack is awesome. It carries up to 40lbs easily. Quality is excellent. Go buy it and give it a try! For most of 2015, I've been using the Exped Lightning 60. Overall, the Lightning 60 has proven to be a great pack and I've been pretty happy with it. It carries a load well and it's been able to hold everything I've needed it to. All for a fairly low weight (after some modifications, mine weighs only 35.6 oz). However, the pack has its flaws. It has no back pocket and the side pockets are small, which limits livability. But the main thing for me is that the padding on the shoulder straps is a little thin which has resulted in some tenderness after longish days. Not a lot, but still annoying. So my search for a pack ultimately led to me ordering the Katabatic Artemis 55. The Artemis is a single-stay pack like the Lightning 60, but the suspension philosophy seems completely different. The Lightning 60 has a huge lumbar pad, a very thick and vertically stiff hipbelt, and no backpanel to speak of besides the vertical stay and shoulder straps. The Artemis, on the other hand, has a very thin and super flexible hipbelt and a stiff foam backpanel. I was skeptical that the thin hipbelt of the Artemis would be capable of carrying a load, or that it might cause bruising. It is essentially just some thin foam wrapped in fabric and mesh. However, I actually find it to be even more comfortable the Lightning 60. The hipbelt on the Artemis wraps around my hips perfectly, and the flexible foam design really cups my hip bones. I have no gaps or excessively tight spots with the hibpelt, no sore spots, and it moves with me well. The load transfer is excellent. I now think stiff, hugely padded hipbelts are unnecessary. The shoulder straps on the Artemis use a similar foam as the hipbelt. They are soft and flexible and left me with no sore spots. Maybe I got lucky with the fit, as the angle of the shoulder straps matches me perfectly. They are perhaps not as good as MLD's shoulder straps, but still good nonetheless, and I have no complaint with them. Before leaving on my 7-day trip, I did a couple test hikes with 39 lbs total pack weight (TPW). It carried the load beautifully. My TPW for the 7-day trip was 34 lbs and the pack had no trouble with it. The pack was comfortable the whole trip. I think I would have been fine starting with 40lbs TPW. How does it do above 40 lbs? Well, I don't know. I've loaded it up with 48lbs TPW and walked around the house for 15 minutes with no issue. But who knows how it would feel after 10 miles on the trail. Maybe I'll have to try someday, but I don't ever anticipate me going much over 40lbs for long. My size medium packs weighs 39.0 oz. The 420D fabrics throughout seem quite waterproof and should make it highly durable. I think the fabric might even be overkill for me, but I wanted the zippered pocket of the Artemis. The overall quality is excellent Time for some pictures. Here is the hipbelt and lumbar pad area. Note that the shoulder straps connect to the pack on the inside of the hipbelt. I have never seen this before and I don't know the intent of such a design, but it worked well. The back panel is fairly stiff, and the ventilated foam/mesh actually kept my back pretty cool: hipbeltshoulderstrap You can fit a lot in the zippered pocket even with the main pack full. I can fit my tent in there without much difficulty. On my 7-day trip, I carried a group tarp, bathroom kit, rain gear, and a big bag of dog treats in the pocket. And in winter, I plan on using it to hold a fleece and other layers I want to access quickly. The zippered pocket makes living out of the pack pretty easy, even in foul weather. It was especially nice one cold and rainy/windy day, giving me quick access to what I wanted: zipocketopen There is a small hole at the bottom of the pocket for water to drain out (it's bigger than it looks in this photo): drainholepocket Here's the bottom of the pack. It's a clean design. I wish there were some loops that allowed me to easily attach a foam sleeping pad: pack_bottom The hipbelt pockets use a very stretchy fabric. It seems durable enough. I can easily stuff 3 ProBars into one hibpelt pocket, shown here as an example. The pockets are easy to open and close when wearing the pack: 3hipbelt There is an elastic cord that runs through the top channel of each side pocket, allowing you to adjust the tension as you wish. Part of the side pocket is 420D fabric, the other part is a durable stretch mesh. You can run the side compression strap on the inside of the pocket or the outside. Here are two 1L water bottles (similar shape as Smart Water bottles) in the side pocket: sidepocket2oneliters Here is the empty side pocket with compression strap on the inside (the compression strap is admittedly a little hard to tighten in this configuration): sidepocketstrap In winter, I like to use Nalgenes. This year, I plan on trying out some reflectix cozys to keep the water from freezing. Here is a 1L Nalgene + reflectix cozy in the side pocket. I have the compression strap running on the outside this time: nalgenesidepocket Here is the inside of the empty pack: insideempty I had to carry a bear can, so here is a Bear Vault BV500 inside the pack. It is sitting on my sleeping bag (at the bottom). I have some 1/8'' foam pads folded against the back panel: bearcansidemepty The bear can fits pretty well vertically and goes in without too much difficulty (the BV500 will NOT fit sideways). I think a Bearikade Expedition would fit vertically too. I am able to stuff a first aid kit, sawyer filter + bunch of bladders, and some other stuff to the side. You could alternatively fit a small clothes bag or small tent/tarp to the side of the bear can: packed Here is the Artemis compared to the Lightning 60. The Artemis is a couple inches taller. The packs are similar width at the top, but the Artemis has a larger taper, and is a fair bit smaller diameter at the bottom: artemislightning1 artemislightning2 I think the Artemis will work well as a "do-it-all" pack for me. I can use it for everything from overnighters to winter trips to 7-10 day long trips to carry-lots-of-water trips. If you are looking for a pack to carry loads less than 40lbs (and perhaps sometimes a little more), then I recommend giving the Katabatic packs a shot. Pros: Most comfortable pack I've ever carried Excellent fit Comfortable hipbelt and shoulder straps Zippered rear pocket, large side pockets, and hipbelt pockets make it easy to live out of Durable fabrics I like the colors Cons: No gear loops on bottom of pack to strap foam sleeping pad to Upper side compression is too high to secure tent poles or a Tenkara rod – it should be lower or angled (like on the HMG 4400 SW pack), or it should have a 3rd compression strap on each side Haul loop is awkwardly small; however, for lifting up the pack to put it on, I simply pick up the pack by both shoulder straps and then swing it around like normal. Works fine Velcro closure roll-top on the Artemis works, but the roll-top on the Lightning 60 is better – it is faster and easier to close, and gets a tight seal Recommendations for improvement: 420D fabric is probably overkill for most hikers – a lighter fabric offering that is more durable than 50D hybrid cuben would be nice (maybe 150D hybrid cuben or X21 RC?) I like to roll my bulky foam pads for winter inside the pack, so a larger circumference version of the Artemis would be nice. If Katabatic Gear ever offers such a pack, I'll be the first to buy one. Until then, I can make things work.

whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

Great review John, very thorough. Well done. I agree, the Artemis is very comfortable, well thought-out, uses durable materials (even if a tad bit overkill), and I too really like the large zipper pocket. One of my favorite things about the pack. The Artemis served me well on my Colorado Trail thru-hike this summer. Just one more excellent product from Katabatic Gear.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

You too, Chris. These reviews are very helpful. I especially appreciate the detailed photos. Thanks again.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

John- couldn't help but notice you changed up some of the compression straps on the Lightning; do you have a pic of what you did to the front of the pack? Always looking for weighs to lighten my load :) thanks Mike

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Sure, I can post some pictures tonight of my modifications. I'll add it to the Lightning 60 thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=75347&skip_to_post=835591#835591

David Ure

@familyguy

It would be interesting to see a comparison between the Artemis 55 and the Paradox Pack Unaweep. Similar weight if the Artemis is in the Xpac. Thanks to all for sharing.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Oddly enough, I actually have a Seek Outside Divide 4200 right now. The potential for sewing up my own packbags and switching them out as needed was so tempting that I decided the give the suspension another shot. In X21 RC with a size small hipbelt, my Divide 4200 came out to 44.4 oz. I've used it on multiple day-hikes with loads from 30lbs to 45lbs. At least up to ~40lbs, I personally find the Katabatic to be the more comfortable pack. I don't want to overstate the Katabatic pack's capabilities, but it fits me really well, and I prefer it over the Divide 4200. I'm sure others will feel differently – I am certainly no expert on packs – and I'm sure things change when you enter the 50+lb range I've played around with the hipbelt on the Divide a lot: I've tried it at both its bolted locations, I sewed up a couple prototype hipbelts, and I even modified the Divide's hipbelt based on one of my prototypes. Modifying the hipbelt definitely helped, but the Katabatic is still more comfortable to me (again, maybe this is due to pack fit or personal preference).

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

John, 1. How deep is the front pocket on the Artemis 55 with a full load in the main compartment, and zipped up? Eg, would I get a pan 2.5 ins deep pan in there? 2. Do you consider that this pack will carry better than an HMG? Thanks.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

1. With the main compartment stuffed, I measured the pocket depth at about 2.5'' – 3'' deep along the center zipper. It tapers a bit towards the edges, but generally does a good job of maintaining volume. It seems like a 2.5'' deep pan could fit in the pocket, but it probably depends on the diameter of the pan and how you pack the main compartment. I was curious and tried – I was easily able to fit your standard 9'' diameter cake pan in the pocket, but it's only 1.5'' tall 2. Compared to my old HMG 4400 SW, I do think the Artemis carries better. However, my HMG 4400 SW was the original version: it used all 50D fabric (vs 150D currently), it did not have a plastic frame sheet like the current models, and it had a smaller hipbelt than the current models. I don't know how the new models carry

Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

Hey, currently waiting on the Artemis to restock in large and then will be pulling the trigger… a quick one though – can any owners comment on whether the packs have hip stabiliser straps at the back of the hip belt? I think not based on photos, but it's hard to tell with so much black fabric… I've never been convinced of their purpose on my HMG pack wrt comfort, but I've found it a good strap to feed through the back of a small camera pouch. I'll find another solution if it's missing on the pack, but it's quite an elegant solution.

Chris Chandler
    BPL Member

@chandler325i-2

Locale: lost angeles

No straps, and in my experience pushing 35-40#'s in a Helios, don't think they're needed. I think you might be foreseeing a problem that's not really there. The back panel does a terrific job, and the pack just carries really, really well. The bottom of the pack is also tapered, further concentrating the load onto your hips and staying balanced and close to your body

Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

So I finally took delivery of my Artemis – obviously there’s been a bit of demand as they were out of stock for a while.

Now I’ve got it, I’m a little unsure, which I’ll get into below. To explain my limited pack history, I started seriously hiking (vs bike touring) in early 2013 and at the time bought a 3400 HMG Windrider after much indecisiveness. The pack has been around the world with me and served me well… but it’s never been *perfect*, my issues have been:

1. Cuben back panel doesn’t handle sweat
    2. Cuben hasn’t been super durable, I’ve blown a few stitches, but it’s still functionally sound. I often need to check it on planes and this has also not been kind to it in terms of abrasion.
    3. Cuben also a bit flash looking, which increased my theft paranoia in South America
    4. Shoulder straps are a balancing act between too tight and too sloppy, not a lot of fine control. Only really a problem above 30#. It carries well, but I’ve always wanted to test others.

None of these have been show stoppers, but I’m walking the PCT next year, so a good excuse to try something new. The Artemis *should* do better on all of the above… addressing them in order:

1. Foam back panel seems better… but not as much as I’d hoped
    2. This thing is obviously bomber – it’s also sewn amazingly… it looks like it was turned out by Osprey or similar (meant in the best way)… HMG looks like just a work sack next to it.
    3. Despite great build, it’s not flashy, very chilled out and not a theft target.
    4. Now the issue… how it carries. First off, the load lifters are amazing… These things are what is missing on the HMG – Using them and with the shaped shoulder straps and maybe inside the belt strap attachments it totally hugs my body…(sorry if I sound like I’m gushing, but I’ve never had a pack where these work properly) … BUT… It doesn’t seem to hug my hips and waist as much the HMG and sways more..

Loading them both up to about a 35# pack weight the Katabatic carries ‘better’ in the sense I can’t feel any weight on my shoulders despite it being hugged to my chest, whereas to achieve this with the HMG I need to let the shoulders straps off a bit and it’s sloppy up top.. but despite the close hugging of the Artemis it still doesn’t seem to move as well with me, which seems to have been experienced by others:

http://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/102164/#post-2228001

Is this just a symptom of a single stay? or a lack of hip stabilisers? Is there anything I can try?? I really want this pack to work :(

Edit: Just tried with a bit less weight, around 27#, which is probably closer to my planned PCT maximums.. Katabatic felt better, which gave me hope, but then I tried the HMG with the same load – no doubt, it works better for me – this might have just been an expensive way of learning the grass isn’t always greener :)

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

These look strikingly similar to HMG packs, with some additional fittings and finesse, especially in the back panel.

Wouldn’t mind knowing whether these could carry 30lbs and also not be touching your back.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

Does anyone have any updated impressions after field use with either pack?  Photos..?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Drew, not sure what info you are specifically looking for. Section Hiker did a review of the Helios 55:

http://sectionhiker.com/katabatic-gear-helios-55-backpack-review/

I’ve used my Artemis now for hundreds of miles over the past 9 months. I’ve used it for day-hikes, short backpacks, week-long backpacks, AZ winter backpacks, hauling water, and some training hikes (where I’ve carried up to 45lbs for short periods). It’s handled everything really well. It carries excellently. I remain particularly impressed with the wrap of the flexible hipbelt, which molds to my shape and transfers the load well to my hips. Similarly, the shoulder straps have also proven to be excellent. Workmanship and quality is outstanding – everything has held up so far

I recently removed the framesheet from the backpanel and weighed it out of curiosity. I don’t recommend this as it can be difficult to get back in. The foam backpanel weighs 5.1oz, and the aluminum stay weighs 2.3oz. The aluminum stay is about 1/8” by 5/8”

In my initial review, I suggested the V40 fabric might be overkill. This assessment still stands, however, I have grown to love the super durable fabric and would choose it again despite the few ounces weight gain. The V40 fabric shows very little sign of wear, despite seeing lots of desert use. The material practically glides past catclaw. The hipbelt and side pockets, which use spandura, have held up reasonably well. I’ve gotten a couple snags, but no tears yet. I do wish Katabatic Gear provided the option for V40 side pockets and hipbelt pockets (i.e. no spandura anywhere)

Another thing I noted in my initial review was the lack of external attachment points. I’ve been able to make do with the attachment points on the Artemis, and Section Hiker’s review highlights some nice features of the Helios that make it seem more flexible in that regards.

I did inquire with Katabatic Gear last year about a larger volume Artemis, and was told they had a 70-liter version in the works; however, when I contacted them again a couple months ago, I was told the 70-liter had been dropped (I don’t know why). That is too bad, as the larger volume would be really nice for winter backpacks, and for when I plan to stuff this pack for a 10-day trip I have planned this summer.

Here are a few pictures of the pack in action.

Bear canister inside (BV500) with Z-Lite strapped to the top:

Day-pack mode:

Day-pack mode in the rain:

The zippered rear pocket is very handy in the winter. It stored my layers (fleece, windshirt, gloves) and microspikes:

I have started using large 1.5L plastic water bottles in the side pockets. They fit pretty easily:

It’s a very pretty pack:

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Sadly I’ve only been able to use my Helios 55 once on a tough desert trip – 5 days in Big Bend.

The fabric (cuben hybrid) did really well with all the thorns and pokey things and the only evidence this pack has been anywhere is all the dust/dirt on the spandex/spandura parts (it was SUPER windy that weekend).

We had to carry upwards of 5L of water at a time, in addition to the 5 days of food, and I cannot say enough about how well this pack carried.  For once in my life I think I may have found pack nirvana.

My only complaint/change I would make is to make the back pocket (front pocket?) all spandura.  I don’t like the cuben part of the pocket, as I do like to stuff a lot of stuff back there and I like that pocket to be more forgiving to bulk.  Don’t get me wrong, it actually held quite a lot and at no time did I wish it held more (55L is a lot of pack, so even with 5 days of food and 5L of water it was never even close to full).  So in the end it might not at all matter.  You just have to be careful about how you adjust the top cinch straps because they are actually attached to the top of that pocket – so if you cinch the top side straps you close the front (back?) shovel pocket.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

John, thank you for the review and photos.  I’m really interested in the Artemis, especially since it has the v40 fabric (optional on Helios of course).  I haven’t used a pack with a zipper pocket, but I can see some advantages over a mesh pocket.  It’s impressive that so many people seem to just love the way the pack feels and how comfortable it is.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools