Topic

Katabatic backbacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katabatic backbacks

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I've been using the artemis (same design except a big zip back pocket, and burlier fabric) since feb and I find the long length to be longer than my hmg and longer than a gg gorilla. The compression system is extremely effective. I prefer the extra volume for winter loads. Its an awesome pack.

Chris Chandler
    BPL Member

@chandler325i-2

Locale: lost angeles

Steven–

I asked Aaron about back lengths for the small and medium because those are the sizes I'm typically between. He said:

The measurement along the back panel from the top of the hip belt to the shoulder straps is 14 ½” for the medium and 12 ½” for the small. Width of the hip belt is 4”.

I don't like to go just by the manufacturer's torso length sizes, I like to have someone hold measuring tape up to my back and position it where I carry my pack so I can actually see "this is where the hip belt will fall, this is how far the shoulder straps will wrap around"

Chris Chandler
    BPL Member

@chandler325i-2

Serge – have you used your Artemis on non-winter trips? I'm curious if you've ever felt like there's TOO much volume. With my Jam, if I don't fill the pack out enough then it doesn't carry so well. Easier to fill it out with puffy winter items

Jen – Any idea of a bearcan will fit in the Helios 40?

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

@chris, i've used the artemis for many backcountry ski trip with the pack nearly fully compressed and it carries really nicely. The shoulder straps and belt are soft and flexible yet supportive, so the pack moves with you well.

Chris Chandler
    BPL Member

@chandler325i-2

Can the compression straps wrap all the way around the front of the pack? It sounds like they can based on a description under "features," but looking at the photos, I'm not sure how that would work out with the top strap

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

@chris, yup, only the bottom straps wrap around its not really a feature that I think I'll have much use for, but I'm sure some people will.

I'm planning to write more impressions after long-term use, but after about 15-20 days of bc skiing along with a 5 day ski traverse, I'm definitely psyched on it. Beyond what I've already wrote in this thread about the load carry and feel of the suspension, the pockets are the best I've used, all of them.

The hipbelt pockets stretch to a large capacity without putting extra pressure against your waste, but then they lie flat and out of the way when not in use. Its quite possible to fit a day of trail snacks as well as buff, gloves, sunscreen and and mini filter in the hip pockets alone.

The back pocket is huge, and despite the slightly awkward look of it, this turns out to be a very good thing. I often like to use light synthetic puffies as part of my layering system, particularly during the colder months of the year. It can be hard to avoid compressing these when ones pack is close to full. This is where the large uncompressed zip pocket becomes useful. Its also quite quick and easy to access from the zip pocket, which a puffy jacket needs to be IMO. This has been perfect for BC ski stops and transitions, where I've been switching into and out of a nano air hoody all day. And there's still plenty of room for extra food and other stuff you might need throughout the day.

The side pockets make it easy to stowe and grab a water bottle. The shockcord makes it easy to adjust their size and secure what's inside. You can make the pockets dissapear by connecting the compression strap over.

The functionality of these pockets helps a great deal with my overall efficiency, especially coming from years of using an hmg pack with only the one compartment and a roll top closure. I've used other packs with pockets, too, but none this good.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I'm going to say yes, it would fit, but then probably nothing else would. I'll put my bearikade weekender in mine tonight and take a photo for you.

I'm kind of curious, too…

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

After using this pack a couple more times, I'm really liking the back pocket. Maps, windshirt, pant legs, sit pad, etc all go in there, with room to spare.

But, the convenience of the pocket does have a downside. It catches rain, then the rain enters the main pack via the horizontal seam at the bottom. I might want to seal that seam, or make a simple and small pack cover that only covers the top of the pack. I do use a pack liner, so nothing is going to get wet, but the rain is directed into the pack.

Just like the first time I tried this pack on, wow, it is really comfortable. Love that lumbar curve.

Steve

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Well, kind of.

It certainly will fit – but it's tight. Tight enough that I had to step on the hip belt to actually pull the empty weekender out of the bag.helios

I put the light on for this picture so you can see the shadow of the bear can – there is nothing else in the pack so it gives you an idea of how much room on top there is.

side

Chris Chandler
    BPL Member

@chandler325i-2

Thanks for posting those, Jen.

It looks like if you stuffed a quilt/sleeping bag in the bottom and then put the bear can in, it would have enough room vertically, but that it would still fit pretty snugly against the front of the pack/the back panel. Does that sound correct?

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

yep; it's super snug. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with the cuben hybrid – too much abrasion on the fabric with the hard edges of the can

Now I'm debating on exchanging it for the 55 – even tho I just love the compactness of the 40!

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Exchange? Given what a well paid medical professional like you makes, just buy both and compare them in the FIELD. None of this living room bullpucky ..;)
    Seriously, you are nearing the end of a muli year , several thousand dollar "find the perfect backpack research project".. Why stop at another $300? Support the economy. Just buy the darn 55. There are not too many of Arron's packs floating around..You wont loose much when you resell and the knowlege you gain will be worth far more. A few blog articles on your pack search on your PT blog would be very helpfull to folks down the road, too.

But then again your list of tried packs dont include Elemental Horizons or ZPacks. The EH Kalais and the ZPacks Arc Haul would be very interesting packs to compare to all the other packs you have tried..HURRY- before Joe V. comes up with another cool pack…lol.

Go, Jen ,Go!

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

The compression is so good on the katabatic packs that I don't think their will be a whole lot to compare between the 40 and 55 packs, unless the backpanel is narrower on the 40, which I doubt. I had abrasion issues with the inside of my last cuben fiber pack from repetitive packing of an avalanche shovel, so I'd be careful about squeezing a bear canister in there with hard edges. I would be interested in a comparison between this and the kalais and the arc haul. I compared mine to the new gorilla (in the house) and definitely prefer the katabatic. No shortage of great packs these days though.

Chris Chandler
    BPL Member

@chandler325i-2

I've got both a Helios 55 and an Elemental Horizons Aquilo ordered and they're en route. Not a Kalais, but same suspension and Matthew from EH told me the overall body volume between the two is negligibly different, the difference in volume really comes from the Aquilo's external pockets. I'll be doing a pretty thorough Helios vs Aquilo vs my existing Jam. Will update with my findings, will probably start a new thread but will link to it here

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

JIMMER! you're KILLING me!!!!

Yeah, I'm keeping the 40. It's too awesome a pack and fits me far too well and feels way too good on my back …. and I don't need to worry about a bear can until next year, so yeah, I may end up buying the other one, too.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with the cuben hybrid – too much abrasion on the fabric with the hard edges of the can"

What weight of cuben hybrid? The 3.4 oz stuff will not suffer abrasion issues. I mean, this is what Mchale uses. It is absolutely bomber for minimal weight gain and some manufacturers now have it as an option (Mchale, HMG, for example).

One could always ask Katabatic if they are planning on using it in the future. With taped seams the pack becomes functionally rain proof.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

"JIMMER! you're KILLING me!!!!

Yeah, I'm keeping the 40. It's too awesome a pack and fits me far too well and feels way too good on my back …. and I don't need to worry about a bear can until next year, so yeah, I may end up buying the other one, too."

Jen,
    I figured being a good Chicago liberal and all that you would have no problem with someone spending your money for the common good..lol

Seriously,, being a PHD, you have the mind of a research scientist..You are too far down the rabbit hole on this pack thing,now.

Frankly, Joe V at Zpacks amd Mathew at EH should just send you a loaner sample of an Arc Haul amd Kalais respectfully to try out so you can just get on with your freaking life already and put the " best pack" thing to rest.

Im actually serious, given tour PT and backpacking background and the fact you are a woman, a little " state of the market" review in terms of UL packs for ladies as of 2015 would be a good thing.. You are half way there..

But, sending you loaners probably would not work. Like puppies, you'd just want to keep them all…;)

Ahh, the first world problems of the American Lightweight Backpacker..

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The 150D hybrid cuben is ~5.5 oz/yard, and far from bomber(1). Katabatic is smart to use the D-P fabrics they do, especially the V40 variations in the Artemis. In 5 years cuben packs will be on their way to extinction and PET film laminates will be on their way to supplanting PU coatings.

Thanks for the pics Jennifer, the Helios looks like a great pack.

1: Hybrid cuben puncture and tear resistance are off the charts for the fabric weight, but when was the last time anyone had a pack wear out due to anything other than abrasion? Wear through the face fabric on cuben hybrid and the mylar layer dies very shortly thereafter.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Just a quick reminder that both the 55L and 40L Helios packs are available in the V40 fabric – just like the Artemis.

helios 55

David Ure

@familyguy

"In 5 years cuben packs will be on their way to extinction and PET film laminates will be on their way to supplanting PU coatings."

LOL!!

The soothsayer hath spoken.

5 years with 150d cuben and not a scratch. Experience trumps.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I'm happy your pack makes you happy. I put six holes in my 150D hybrid pack in five months.

Edit: Thanks Alex, had not noticed that addition. HMG might be in trouble.

David Ure

@familyguy

Fair enough. Who made the pack? If it was DIY, where did you source your fabric from?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I built it. Cascades Craftworks has sold the 150D stuff since early last year.

David Ure

@familyguy

The 150d used by Hyperlite Mountain Gear is lighter than the fabric you were using (by about 2 oz / yard) so it is clearly not the same product.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

@ Jennifer

I see that you own a Helios and are selling your GG Gorilla on Gear Swap. I own and really like my Gorilla but have been thinking of trying a Helios 40 or 55.

How does the volume compare between the 40 and the Gorilla? How about the fit? Are you still thinking of picking up a 55?

Any other info would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
    Mike

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools