Topic

Katabatic backbacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Katabatic backbacks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Just saw this and thought I'd share. After several seasons of use I still marvel at the quality of my quilt, so I thought this was interesting at first blush.

Katabatic backpacks

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/category/backpacks/

Heilos

Eos

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Aaron provided a bit more detail about the construction of the Helios model.

I'm a bit surprised by some of the details, but Aaron has demonstrated an ability to provide incomparable quality of workmanship with his offerings of quilts and hoods so I remain optimistic.

HELIOS DETAILS:

The Helios frame-sheet will be a dense foam construction and is removable, though it is not recommended.

The Helios back panel is a soft foam with formed ridges/ribs and perforations in conjunction with some manner of stretched mesh to promote airflow. (Aaron is going to post better pictures of the back panel but I am envisioning something along the lines of a McHale back-panel.)

The Helios single aluminum stay is attached directly to the frame sheet, and is itself individually removable.

The Helios hip belt is made from the ribbed & perforated foam with a mesh liner and is sewn directly to the pack body.

Shoulder straps are contoured and will feature load lifters, although I don't know where they attach to on the pack body/suspension system.

The construction of the pack is fully sewn.

David Ure

@familyguy

The alpine pack looks almost identical to the Arcteryx Nozone 35, except it is more expensive than the Arcteryx.

TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

Nice. But heavy.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Saw these yesterday when Hendrik posted up a link. I think they look great. Although the weight is pushing into the 2 lb range, I've got no problems with that if they carry really well, and coming from Katabatic that's what I'd expect anyway. One feature that I'm not excited by though is the compression-strap-over-the-pocket… always found that counter intuitive.

Anyway, looking forward to learning more about them. Depending on the volume of the large size of the largest pack it might be a viable winter pack candidate for me.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

"One feature that I'm not excited by though is the compression-strap-over-the-pocket… always found that counter intuitive."

Based solely on the below picture, it looks like the lower compression strap threads through the pocket. Personally though I have come to prefer an internal compression strap, a la CiloGear packs.

I think my biggest concern with the Helios … looking from afar and based only on conjecture … would be with the load bearing capacity. The single stay, sewn-in wing hip-belt and foam frame sheet in a pocket design could lend itself to torso/lumbar collapse issues at heavier weights. But with the quality of Aaron's other work, I am hopeful his design mitigates those concerns.

Lower compression

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I think they look pretty good except I wish they were not in cuben or white. I think the weight for a pack that can carry 40 pounds is right on. It looks as if they are tapered a bit from the bottom to the top, in the depth of the pack (a bit deeper over the shoulders), which few pack makers do.

Jacob, I said the same thing about the strap over the pocket but it you look at the photos close you can use it either over the pocket or underneath.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

They look like really high quality products. The alpine back in particular is gorgeous with that V40 fabric.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Very nice looking.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I went to see Aaron about a quilt today and saw the new packs. Wow, these look and feel like great packs. I've owned Aaron's bags for the last few years, and have always been impressed with the quality and smart design. The Katabatic Sawatch, a conservatively rated 15 degree 24 oz quilt, sort of speaks for itself. Aaron and I did a bunch of skiing and ice climbing a couple of winters ago, and it was interesting to hear his ideas for the packs and on gear design in general. From that, I knew to expect a lot out of these packs whenever they were released. Let me say, they totally live up to the high expectation. A lot of great elements of recent pack design come together in the helios–it matches the sleek ideals of an alpine pack with the functionality of a Jardine style pack (something I seem to remember Dave. C writing about?). What I mean is that the pack has quite large capacity back and side pockets, but also easy ways to make them disappear flat against the pack. This works through a combination of stretch material and cuben material for the side and back pockets, both with integrated pack/pocket compression. Its hard to see on the site, but there's a buckle on the inside and on the outside of the pocket–that, and the cuben work well to lie flat and slide through roughage.

I've had one pack as my do everything adventure pack for climbing, skiing, packrafting and backpacking the last few years, which come to think of it is a pretty amazing accomplishment for any one pack (HMG Ice). Although its been great and super durable (in spectra and with ski straps), on backpacking trips I've definitely felt a lot slower transitioning layers, and breaking for snacks etc. without having external pockets. I know I was a lot faster with my gorilla and burn. But at the same time, I love a small and sleek climbing style pack that won't get caught maneuvering through blowdown or when strapped to the bow of a packraft (or both.) Without full alpine functionality, the katabatic strikes a perfect balance, the best of both styles in a purpose driven backpackers pack. I know I'm basically over-explaining Helios, but you can't exactly walk into an REI and try on a loaded katabatic, so I want to shed light on what I looks like a very appealing UL backpack, cottage and US made.

Beyond that, the frame system seems great ( I didn't want to waste our time loading up a pack with a too short torso, but the harness and frame felt great with loadlifters cranked and harness tight). Imagine taking the mesh paneling and stretch pockets of a golite jam (the Katabatics are big, stretchy and awesome) and a soft/ventilated boreas style backpanel, that works with an internal frame part way between a gorilla and an ohm (read as unabashed pack nerdery). The belt and straps are made in a similar style, and feel like a good combo of soft, supportive and ventilated. The belt feels great, and the pockets are about the best I've seen if you aren't concerned with waterproofing there (I'm not). Add load lifters, and there's not much left to want. Dave C., I know you've gotten pretty great at making your own packs, but I bet you'd love one of these.

I would like to try this pack on when the size large 55 L comes out, and if its good with a heavy load, I'll likely buy one. I will say that while my experience with cueben hybrid wasn't the best when I was using my first HMG ice pack for rock and ice cragging, and having an avi shovel blade loose inside it. I still think the katabatic pack seems plenty durable for %98 of what we call backpacking here. Its also got the smart addition of a layer of dimension polyant on the bottom. I realize that I'm just spouting off about a pack I haven't tried, but I've been a UL backpacker for a long time, tried a bunch of packs and developed some strong preferences.
    This pack pretty much ticks all the boxes, save seam sealing (easily done at home), and perhaps more durable side panels for carrying skis (though he did mention making this pack in the same material as the EOS for a few extra oz, which would be a quiver-killer.)

I'd write about the alpine style pack (also awesome), but this is not a climbing forum and I'm afraid that I've already rambled too long. Its a great minimalist, durable alpine climbing pack, similar to a couple nice recent models, but I know the EOS was conceived before those others came out FWIW. (Note: Though I enjoy skiing and climbing with Aaron, I also wouldn't waste my ability for genuine praise on free advertising. At a glance, I'm super impressed with these packs, but you knew that.)

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks for the perspective.

I wonder if Aaron would think of adding the black 150d cuben hybrid fabric as an option? It really is in a different league than the 50d in terms of durability and look. Only a couple of ounces more for a pack. Having used the white 50d extensively, it proved reasonably durable but looked like a dirty garbage bag after several uses.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Thanks for the infos guys. I didn't realize the compression strap could be routed over or under the pocket, nice to have the option.

They sound like promising packs.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I'm very intrigued by the Helios 55, especially in V40, and look forward to reading some field reviews.

@ Serge, Are you able to expand on the description of the frame sheet, aluminum stay, and back panel setup? Particularly, I'm interested in the horizontal rigidity of the frame sheet and its length. Also, the load lifters' attachment point in relation to the frame sheet. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Hi Alex, I didn't tinker with the frame sheet a whole lot, but it seemed quite stiff by virtue of a removable aluminum frame that goes behind a soft/supportive ventilated mesh and foam backpanel. The load lifters are positioned high enough that I could basically make a medium work for me for smaller loads, although I definitely have the torso for a size L. I think more details will emerge as people get these out for review (since I don't have pics or own the pack) , but I just wanted to get my first impressions out before I forgot about the details. I imagine Aaron will fill out the details on the site, and he's good about answering questions. The belt, shoulder straps and backpanel seemed quite comfortable/supportive, but I would need to load up a size L with 30-40 lbs to see if this could handle something like a week long packrafting trip.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thank you, Serge. I understand that these are your first impressions and appreciate you sharing them. I too look forward to more details.

Load lifters are usually attached to the top of the frame sheet at the sides where the stiff aluminum stay, located in the middle of the frame sheet, doesn't do much if any. Thus, when you tighten the load lifters the top of the frame bends toward your back rather than pulling on the entire length of the frame. Having a nice stiff frame up top really helps mitigate this problem. CiloGear's frames strike a good balance in this regard. Hopefully the Helios does too.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

I noticed that the Eos 30 is now available for purchase and the Helios 55 will be soon by "late November."

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

It looks like the target dates have shifted to December 8th and 15th for a size medium and large respectively. Right in time for Christmas. If anyone would like to befriend me, here's your chance to make an impression. Note that I'm most likely a medium.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

The Helios 55 in a medium is available! Sizes small and large forthcoming. I also noticed that Katabatic added another backpack to their offerings:

"Artemis 55
    Similar in design to the Helios, the Artemis features durable 420D nylon fabrics throughout and a large zippered front pocket to keep contents secure when traveling rough terrain. Photos and full specs coming soon!"

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I think I'll hold out for the Artemis 55. The more durable fabrics would be nice. I'm pretty certain I've stretched/blown the stitches near the hipbelt connection on my old 50D HMG 4400 SW, resulting in considerable sag.

I emailed Katabatic about the minimum waist size for the Helios 55/Artemis 55. Aaron said it will work for a waist size of 28'' at the smallest.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

According to their website, all of Katabatic's backpacks are 20% off of their list price right now. Must resist.

If anyone does snag one, please report back with feedback. Thanks.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Pulled the trigger today, on the last day of the sale, for the Helios 55. Will report back.

Steve

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Got the Helios 55 this past weekend. Took it for a day hike with about 20lbs; carried very nicely, I cannot foresee larger loads being an issue. The stay has a very nice bend to it for the lower back, and pulls out easily with the cord attached to it.

1 Showing the inside of the pack

2 Attempt to show the elastic cord with cord lock in the hem of the side pocket.

3 The sternum strap has a section of elastic. This hopefully also shows the lumbar curve of the back panel.

If anyone has any specific questions or desires some specific pictures, let me know.

Steve

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

wow that looks awfully nice…..would a bear can fit in there? Say, 9" in diameter and 11" high?

please don't tell me there's something else for me to covet now :(

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Yes, I have a bearikade Weekender and it fits very nicely in the middle, on top of my bag (in a stuff sack). On either side, in the corner, was room for a thin clothes bag and, in the other corner, my tarp/bivy rolled up. The canister does not fit horizontally anywhere in the pack, unlike my GG CrownVC60 where the canister can go in vertically and then be turned horizontal at the bottom.

Forgot to mention, weight for the pack was 31oz, on spec.

Steve

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Thanks for the pics, Steve. Is there a frame sheet? If so, can you describe the material and config.? How about the hip belt? How wide is it?

Thanks again.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools