Topic

The trail food you just can’t stand.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition The trail food you just can’t stand.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

It's a time-honored trail staple, but not for you. What is it?

Mine is peanut butter.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

GORP … Grew tired of that 10years ago

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Boiled, waxed okra.

–B.G.–

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Bob,

I've never even considered okra for trail food. Did you actually consume this on trail or was this a result of force feeding while in the South?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Jerky

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Gatorade. Oooooooowww, tummy ache!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Seconding the call for follow-up on that okra. The face I'm making right now…

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Force feeding.

Okra and possum grits.

I believe Mountain House had to quit making meals of it because of the Geneva Convention.

–B.G.–

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

My preferences change periodically, but for the last year or so, jerky has been pretty much unpalatable. Have also revolted against canned/pouch tuna.

Despite the above items, savory/salty foods are winning out recently over sweets.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'd rather eat a pinecone than try to gag down another Cliff Bar.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Something that you really ought to do before you go out on a serious solo trip:

Find some kind of food that you can eat under any conditions. Preferably, it should not require any cooking or complex preparation. Ideally, it is moderately high in calories, and easily digestible.

Sometimes your appetite will fail, your cooking apparatus will fail, and you still need to gain some calories to get through a night without suffering.

–B.G.–

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yup, peanut butter.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Bob, for me that would be eggs. Preferably fresh or boiled, but freeze dried works okay too.

Roger, I think it's the brown rice syrup they use in the Clif bars. They all taste like slight variations on that rice syrup, blech. I can eat one or two if I have to, but in larger doses my tastebbuds would doubtless rebel.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Do y'all remember PowerBars? Once upon a time, Clif bars were a gift from the culinary gods!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Powerbars. Wow.

I lived in Boulder and rode all the time when PowerBars came out, so we carried those all the time. It didn't take long before I could only tolerate the berry flavor (which sounds pretty gross right now).

I went to Bolivia a few years ago to visit a friend and also lost my appetite for a few days (altitude, traveling) and it wasn't until a little roadside market was selling Pringles cans that I was able to really eat anything.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Oatmeal. Knorr side dishes.
    Uggghhh.

"Find some kind of food that you can eat under any conditions. Preferably, it should not require any cooking or complex preparation. Ideally, it is moderately high in calories, and easily digestible.

Sometimes your appetite will fail, your cooking apparatus will fail, and you still need to gain some calories to get through a night without suffering."

–B.G.–

I found it, it's called tsampa, roasted barly flour the Tibetan food staple. Mix with anything you like and a bit of oil (I use coconut) warm or cold water add salty or sweet and you've got sustenance. Even good as a soup or in tea.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Peanut butter, instant oatmeal, Mountain House anything, Clif Bars or tuna.

I'd rather eat paper towels seasoned with cardboard.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I find that I'm going more non cook. Don't want to be bothered cooking something I may not want to eat. Bring a wider range of snacks instead.

So weird how what sounds good at home tastes like #*!& in the field sometimes.

Jordan Cerna
    Spectator

@cernajn

Locale: Midwest

I tend to stay away from any 'wet' food ingredients such as PB, cream cheese and jam. After overseeing trip prep for youth trips anywhere from 20-40 people and seeing all that stuff come out of 5 gallon buckets makes you never want to eat that stuff again. Trail or not.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Do y'all remember PowerBars?"

The saving grace of PowerBars was that nothing can happen to a PowerBar during a caving trip (cold, wet, muddy, crawling on your belly while resting on top of your snack) that changes its basic PowerBar-ness.

It ain't much. But 8 hours into a caving trip, it hasn't changed. That's not true of any other food-like object.

I always imagined that a peanut-butter-grinder, fed with rice, nuts, HFCS, sawdust, and left on way too long would extrude PowerBars.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Wheat-Tex TVP-based vegetarian backpacker's meal, in the 1980's, despite my huge appetite back then I went to sleep hungry. I haven't tried TVP since!

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ha! I had the same experience in the early 80's with some Mountain House freeze-dried chicken salad. I like chicken salad, and I was hungry, but this stuff was beyond disgusting. Waaaaay beyond…

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

In college I used to buy whole boxes of Powerbars from the surplus store. 5 months or 5 years, they never really get stale. I finished the last ones years after graduation. I've reached my lifetime quota, I think.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

They're just like Bit'o'Honey, only nutritious! Just one PowerBar and you're good for hte whole afternoon- mostly because it takes alla fternoon to chew it up!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools