Topic

The trail food you just can’t stand.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition The trail food you just can’t stand.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I've gotten tired of instant oatmeal packets, so I tried couscous with butter, cinnamon and honey in it. Perfect.
    Kelly

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I've gotten tired of instant oatmeal packets,
    But that stuff is not oatmeal.
    Try some raw oatmeal instead.

Cheers

Sean Westberg
    Spectator

@theflatline

A little bit of thread resurrection but food tasting like crud at high altitudes is a known thing. It's part of why airline food tastes like wet cardboard usually. The high altitude jacks with your sense of taste and smell.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/body-odd/one-reason-airline-food-so-bad-your-own-tastebuds-f6C10823522

Supposedly airlines have researched the hell out of this and found that our taste of sweet and salty decrease significantly at high altitude. Dry environments (like cold dry air high up) also impact our sense of smell.

As for the topic of the thread I can't stand Mountain House spaghetti. Tried it once and could barely choke it down. It tasted like malted barley extract (a flavor I'm very familiar with since I brew beer). I didn't look at the ingredients but I wouldn't be surprised if like maltodextrin or something like that was high up on the list.

So instead of tucking into a pouch of tomato spaghetti sauce, I choked down a bag of unfermented, unhopped beer sauce.

Matthew Voswinkel
    BPL Member

@voswinkelm1

Locale: Northern NJ

All this talk about people not liking food got me wondering…why doesn't this happen to mosquitos. Every time I go out I seem like the meal of choice. When will they get tired of eating me!?

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools