Topic

Brought back a souvenir from Rae Lakes Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Brought back a souvenir from Rae Lakes Loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Me and my 17 year old daughter had a chance to do Rae Lakes Loop the week of July 4th.

We got lucky and obtained a walk up permit for cw direction which was good since my daughters longest hike to date is only 12 miles, I wanted this to be an enjoyable trip.

We got a late start on the trail, around 2:00 p.m. the permit station said we got lucky in getting the permit, she said it was full just an hour before, but they had some cancelations that opened it up for us to go, WOOHOO we're on our way.

We arrived at Lower Paridise Valley around 6:00 p.m and decided to call it a night since we both were tired from the day before and getting a late start today. I hiked 25 miles earlier that week with a friend while my daughter took care of some stuff at home before she met me on Wed.

This was a good night considering I forgot my lighter in my other pack, but we met a kind gentelman named John who had an extra lighter that he gave us.

I couldn't wait to finaly get the chance to use my new cook set from Flatcat gear,
    our first meal was home made lasagna, "IT WAS AMAZING" Thanks Jon for your Youtube video's.

lasagna

The weather was warm, but at least it wasn't 109* that's what the temp was at home all week, I think most of our trip was high 70's during the day and mid 40's at night, I used my MYOG quilt with 5.0 Apex and was sweating most of the nights even when it wasn't completely on me.
    An Asian family strolled in late that night and didn't have the right canister of fuel for thier stove so I traded him some Esbit tabs for another lighter and showed him how he could use the tabs even though he didn't have a Esbit stand.

2nd day we set off for Woods Creek, this was a tough day as my daughter was just starting to get her hiking leggs under her, don't remember what we had for lunch, but we made it to Woods Creek at set up camp, lots of people here tonight, we made Cheese Burgers tonight, another one of Jon's recipes and another hit!
    One lady that was getting ready to cross the suspension bridge heading north decided to come back to our group after seeing a big bear on the other side of the bridge just starring at her, this was just moments after me and my daughter had just crossed over, which surprized me because I'm usaully very good at spotting wild life, but I never even seen this bear, WOW!

bridge

Day 3 started off we me making scrambled eggs, hash browns and bacon bits with Jon's cook kit, again AMAZING!I really am starting to love this cook system.

The plan for today was Rae Lakes, we started to see a few through hikers now, my daughters Asthma started to act up and she didn't bring her inhaler, she hasn't had a flair up since she was around 10 so she didn't think to bring it, so I decided to lighten her load so she could breath easier and it helped, I think it was just her body trying to adjust to altitude, what parents will do for thier kids, and I would do it again!

WOW

We made it to Rae Lakes and picked out a great spot for the night, This has always been my favorite part of the hike and I think my daughter agrees, tonight Chicken soup and mashed potatoes with Blue Berry Muffins, nice and toasty warm we headed off to get some much needed sleep before we climbed up Glenn Pass.

rae

rae

tent

After a good night sleep we made breakfast and headed out early to get up to the pass before it got to hot, I took most of the gear out my daughters pack so this would be a good experience for her, and it was, we made it in pretty good time, from Rae Lakes camp to the top 2 hrs 12 min.

This is where it gets crazy, still having most of her gear I just kept hiking, until we got to one of my favorite spots on the trail, it's where the river rushes over some Granite and has made some nice sitting pools to sit in and cool off, this is about 1/2 mile east of Junction Meadow, where we were headed for the night.

I was hot, dirty and excited to show her these pools, I walked out on to the granite to sit, when my daughter asked if the was any place that had shade, when I turned to answer her my feet slipped out from under me and I went crashing down on the granite hard, twisting my ankle underneath me and slamming my head on the granite, all I could think was OH NO! don't let my ankle be broken.

I sat there a minute and assessed the cituation, luckly some young hikers that we kept seeing on the trail were passing by so I got thier attention in case it was worse than it appeared.
    They stopped and I stood up and tried out my ankle, seemed to be okay other than swollen and sore, maybe it's just a bad bruise, so I told them it was okay to leave, they said if I didn't show up at Junction Meadow they would come back to look for us, so I taped it up with some super duty tape that I carry and off we went.

While I was on the granite my daughter kept sneeking gear out of my pack to make it lighter for me to carry, she's a great kid!
    After getting up we decided to hike as far as I could to get closer to the trail head for the exit out tomorrow, we passed Junction Meadow with no site of the other hikers, I guess they split and didn't want to stick around to help an old fart out of the mountains. LOL
    We ended up at the 2nd camp spot past Junction Meadow about a 1/2 past Junction Meadow set up camp and had our favorite meal, PIZZA! now that's what I'm talking about, yeah!

pizza

I was in a little pain all night, got up the next morning to some pretty serious swelling, so I decided to just pack up and hike out without breakfast, my daughter told me later that day she was starving but that she was more concerned about me.
    We stopped about 4 miles out and I had to cut off the tape it was digging into my skin, so I then used my ace bandaid to secure my ankle, it wasn't as supportive, but it was going to have to do, it was wierd I could hike up hill no problem 3-4 miles an hour, but down hill was another story, and if you've ever been on this trail you now this section is all down hill, we made it to the trailhead in 6 hrs 45 mins. loaded the car and went to Hume lake for a much deserved Double cheese burger with fries and a chocolate shake.

Upon getting home I elevated my foot and took some alieve, went to work Mon. but the swelling wouldn't stop so, I went to Urgent care and this is the souvenir I brought back with me.

The first pic is the night I got home the 2nd is Mon. at Urgent care, Doc said I have a broken ankle and I have surgery next Thur. to put in a plate and screws.

ankle

ankle

My daughter came home with 125 mosquito bites, they really like her I guess.

Overall this was a great trip that I'll never forget, not because of the ankle and bites, but because I got to spend great quality time with my beautiful daughter.

me and daughter

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jack,

I'll bet you & your daughter won't ever forget this one.

Hope you are on the mend soon!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope that you have a speedy recovery. I'll send you the cheeseburger recipe, maybe that will help you to get back on your feet. Jon

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Great to see you out with your daughter. Thanks for posting the pictures and report. I would like to put in an order of your lasagna for our next trip. Good luck with your recovery. Rest that foot!

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Thanks for sharing! Great story, and undoubtedly a memorable trip–both the good and the bad. I bet you and your daughter will still be telling this story for years to come.

Best of luck with the recovery.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jack,

You are a great Dad!

I am sorry about your ankle. You did well moving under your own power.

I'm glad your daughter was able to finish and enjoy the hike.

By the way – which cook system do you use by FlatCat?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I liked it better when you just brought snow. Now you are injuring yourself. Finger, now ankle. Can't wait till winter!

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Great trip Jack. Looks like John's cooking system was right up your alley as you liked to cook anyway. Making me hungry just looking at the pictures. Hope your ankle heals with no complications.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

You really need to stop this self-mutilation streak before things get out of hand, Jack! :-)

Sorry to hear about the ankle; but it seems you were a trooper anyway and managed to have a great time. Your daughter sounds like a true gem!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I think that last day we had to hike out about 10 miles to the trailhead.
    I'll try to load more pics later.
    As for the cookset I'll look it up on Jon's website, I don't want to give you the wrong info, if he chimes in again he may remember.

Jack

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

That food looks sooo good. Even good for being in the city, let alone on the trail. You are your daughters hero. Good man.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Jack ordered a Bobcat Titanium with the Evernew pot 1.3 liter along with the Epicurean Titanium stove (for dry baking) and 5" pan.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Glad it happened on the way out, and that you were tough enough to make it out on your own steam and not complain about it! What a good example for your daughter, too…

You're making me feel guilty about my "just boil water" approach to trail food, though. :^)

I've only walked out 5 miles of difficult terrain (in the dark w/no headlamp) on a stress-fractured foot — not even in your league, I'm afraid, LOL!

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ouch Jack! Glad you are ok buddy. Your daughter will never forget this trip. Hopefully it puts a little nug in her to do more

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Jack,

Great trip report and your pictures are making me want to buy more gear from Jon so I can bake with his stove.

I have the simmering ring for my MSR Titan Kettle, but did not get a pan for baking.

I will say that having just used his Focus Fire esbit stove in the Trinity Alps a few weeks ago…..worked great with very little residue on the bottom of my Kettle.

And what I had was easily scrubbed off with some gravel.

Simple and compact system that all fits in my Kettle.

Crazy that you hiked out on a broken ankle!

You are one tough guy and your daughter is lucky to have you as a father to take her out into the mountains.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery so you can get back out on the trail.

Don't watch too much Jerry Springer while recouping. :)

Tony

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Here's a few more pics.

VIEW

VIEW

ankle

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Jack, beautiful photos and great trip report. Sorry about your ankle. Despite everything looks like it was a very memorable trip. You are one tough guy hiking out on that ankle under weight – now that you're home take good care and strengthen it. +120 mosquito bites – your daughter is one tough cookie too.

Didn't you also dig yourself out of a major blizzard in Yosemite?

Might be a good idea to write "Jack's Laws" as an update to Murphy's ; )

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Update,

I just had the second splint removed last Fri. and was hoping for a cast, but the Dr. said to come back next week to take out the staples and in the mean time wear my walking boot and continue using crutches, looks like 3 more weeks before he may/maynot release me back to work, this is driving me crazy, I don't see how people can stay home, inside, and doing nothing physically all day, Blahhh!

I've lost all muscle definition in my calve, looks like I have cankels, the bottom of my foot has lost most of the feeling from being in the splints for so long, but its coming back slowly as is the calve muscle, this realy sucks. LOL

bad

bad

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Ouch heal up buddy.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools