Topic

Onto The Shelf

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Onto The Shelf

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Onto The Shelf

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Fanf*#@!ingtastic! Looks like a great trip. You two are quite the match. I hope to run into you someday Ike.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ok, Ike. You have really out-done yourself on this one! Great writing, fabulous pictures. You picked a good hiking partner too.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Ike,

You write some of the most enjoyable trip reports and I appreciate the time and energy you invest on your wonderful photography. I realize that this trip happened a couple months ago but I hope you find peace with the grief that has found you.

Take care,

Ian

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Great story and some stunning pictures. You guys are awesome !!!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I agree with Ken across the board.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thought I might clarify a few things here:

I enjoyed Ike's disclaimer. You see, after we actually headed out onto the shelf, under the ruse of wanting to take pictures with a person in them, Ike would send me on ahead to 'pose' for one shot after another. I was simply too nice to tell him that I realized he was doing this more times than he had pictures to show for it – in other words he was sending me ahead to ensure the ice shelf was safe before moving forward…… What a pal…..

RE: "I began to worry that Doug might begin to question my good judgment before the day was done. “No worries”, he replied with a grin." — I'm not sure what gave Ike the idea that I thought he had good judgement to begin with. After all, he's invited me twice to join him on a trip….. Just sayin'

RE: "I suspected he was probably playing to my delicate mood, but decided to exploit it fully. “Separate your legs a little”, I coached, or “Make it look like you’re walking”, or “Turn to your left a smudge”." — No kidding! I was waiting for him to tell me what my motivation was as I looked at some particular landmark. Sheesh….

RE: "This led to numerous interesting messages from Doug’s brother, like “Dude! What? Are you still sitting in the exact same spot? Lamest. Trip. Ever.”" LOL! True story.

RE: "I had solidified a relationship with a good friend, taking time to talk and to listen." — Indeed, Ike is a great hiking companion. Jump at the chance to hike with him if offered!

Too bad Ike left off the bit about the (I believe it was a) chunk of ice that followed us for quite a ways during the second day's snowstorm. Ike even veered far to the left while I continued forward so we could try and figure out what was following us. We both got quite the laugh out of that one! And our version of "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" entertained us quite a bit during that snowstorm, as well!

Thanks, Ike, for letting me join you on such a great adventure, and for once again putting up with my frequent language flourishes! Great writeup and photos!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I think this is my all time favorite BPL trip report. Wonderful photos of a great winter landscape, superb writing, and two of our finest dudes having a great time together. Thanks to both of you for sharing this adventure with us.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Most everything that I could think of has already been said, Ike.

Thank you both for sharing this adventure!

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

What a great trip report! I'm sorry to hear about whatever grief life threw your way, and I hope you come out of it all the stronger and ready for the next challenge. I too find nature to be rather soothing… but its really those moments (like the one in the storm photo) where you are fighting, as you said, internal battles that mirror those on the exterior; that makes self-reflection and emotional growth so possible in the backcountry. The soothing element of nature is often the one people reach for the most; when in fact, sometimes, I find that the challenge of the difficult, uncomfortable or even scary moments become the ones that help me progress the most. Keep the trip reports coming please!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Great adventure. Thanks for sharing all of that with us.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Great report… thank you for sharing both your emotions and your trip with us.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What an exquisitely written report. Don't know that I've ever read one that better expresses all that the right trip, with the right person, and, yes, the right conditions, can be. As for the pictures, I have no words…

Thanks for sharing, Ike.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Bravo Ike,

Hope to see you and Rog for another trip soon.

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Evocative, haunting and beautiful. Between this and 'Into the Gray', you're turning trip reports into an art form.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a unique experience for sure!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Ike and Doug,
    What a trip !!!
    Top shelf I say.
    Great photos too, can you share the model of camera you used ?

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

Beautiful storytelling Ike. Bravo.

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure!

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I finally got around to reading this. What a winter you had (back home-ish for me)! All the family and friends sounded very glad to be done with it.

Keep up the good work Ike. Wilderness is medicine.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

As others have said…great adventure and photos. Thanks for sharing the unique perspective.
    Tom

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

this is awesome!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools