Topic

Snowpeak Gigapower Manual vs Snowpeak Litemax

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snowpeak Gigapower Manual vs Snowpeak Litemax

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Robert Samsot
    Spectator

@scurdatum

Locale: Northern Virginia

I searched for a comparison between these two stoves (Snowpeak Gigapower Manual and Snowpeak Litemax), and didn't find much. I did see some tests between the Gigapower and the PR, or the Litemax and the PR, but I'm curious to know if anyone here has experience with these two Snowpeak stoves and can let me know which they prefer and why. I'm especially interested in what I can't read in technical specs. Things like:

-Pot stability
    -Wind susceptibility
    -Potential cross-threading issues
    -Durability

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Very little difference between the two.
    I am slightly biased towards the original GST-100 Gigapower for techie reasons, but not much.

> -Pot stability
    Both OK

> -Wind susceptibility
    I Never run without a good windshield

-Potential cross-threading issues
    never had that problem.

> -Durability
    All brass threads strip off over time. The thread on the canister is crap. Don't use a lot of force, and steer clear of stoves with an all-aluminium base!

Cheers

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

The GST-120 (LiteMax) does have an all aluminum base, including the threads. I haven't seen any reference to the threads failing and the stove debuted in 2007, I believe.

I am very fond of my LiteMax and haven't seen any signs of wear although I haven't used it a ton. I have a GST-100, the titanium version of the Giga, but have only test fired it. I know that Ken and Kat love their GigaPowers and the reviews are all very positive.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I love my Giga. I like the four pot supports instead of three. The Litemax does pack up a wee bit smaller. Have had mine since '99 or '00

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I enjoyed my Litemax while it worked but I can attest to a failure on the threads. Maybe I accidentally overtightened at some point. I switched to the Micro Light and have no complaints.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For a canister stove head, it is difficult to get much below 1.6 or 1.7 ounces.

–B.G.–

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

In light of that post, if you want a stove that just works twenty years from now, with perhaps one maintenance kit thrown at it, the GigaPower may be the best bet.

It is significantly cheaper and only an ounce or so in weight penalty.

Robert Samsot
    Spectator

@scurdatum

Locale: Northern Virginia

Thank you all so much for the feedback. Based on what you all are saying, I think I'll save myself a few bucks and go with the GST-100.

Cheers,
    Rob

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I have both – and currently use the Litemax mostly just because it's smaller and works just as well. But the gigapower is a fantastic bit of kit that just works. You can't go wrong with either but I admit I bought the Giga first due to the justified reputation for bomb proofness.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

How reliable is the piezo starter? Or should one just forget it and go manual?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> How reliable is the piezo starter?
    They are fine for the first N weeks. N is not specified.
    I use a Bic.

Cheers

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I don't break much gear at all and every piezo ive ever had has failed. I never look for them.

Never had a bic fail. Ever. And ive used them a lot over many years. Daily. Multiple times daily. Only thing that messes tham ip is cold and wet and both of those issuse are easily remidied.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

I absolutely love them when they work. I will pay a few extra dollars for that feature. But for some reason they always die. And then I loathe the equipment they died on. I think the piezo failure on a JetBoil Sol pissed me off the worst – almost couldn't look at it afterwards.

I must have mental issues. Need to check the DSM for something related to stoves with piezo igniters.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I use a Bic."

+1 Piezos are worthless at altitude, IME.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

The piezo igniter on my Soto works well and is a nice convenience but I still carry a lighter and matches.

The igniter for the GigaPower adds ten dollars to the stove's price and can be removed. This can be purchased from Snow Peak for 12.50USD and added later, although at a higher cost (shipping and handling, tax).

If you want to try it, makes sense to buy the model which includes it. You can always take it off to save the half ounce.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

After my third piezo failure on the same JetBoil, I took it out, refused to replace it, and decided it was better for my sanity to use a match.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Feature creep. Extra weight that is not multiuse. If you run out of fuel and wish to make a twig fire, can you light if with a piezo igniter?

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I was pretty sure I'd seen in other threads that piezo ignition was pretty worthless. Getting a slightly heavier stove just to have the 4 pot supports was already bothering me, so I'm happy to avoid the piezo for weight savings anyway.

Canister stoves scare me, they are too close to a bomb in my opinion. I'm perfectly happy with my little alcohol stoves, especially the Starlyte which is hard to tip over. However, with the fire restrictions the way they are, I'm pretty sure at some point I'm going to need the canister, and when we go motorcycle touring on the Ural, it wouldn't be a problem to have a slightly heavier cook system. The only time I've ever used a canister, I was hiking with a friend who had a Pocket Rocket. Had a helluva time getting the pot to stay on the supports, so I'm thinking the design of the Gigapower will work better.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Canister stoves are very safe, especially compared to whites gas, kerosene or even alcohol. I don't think you'll miss the igniter at all.

We're all in the same boat. I am going to miss Esbit this summer, but at least I have a choice of canister stoves or even an XGK. On the up side, goodbye to partially hydrated rice. it's nice to be able to simmer or add another minute of heat without worrying about ruining my next meal by burning a fraction of a tablet and reducing my limited fuel supply.

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

Diane,

The Snowpeak starters are pretty reliable moreso I think than the Jetboil Piezos which are legendary for their failure rate, but that may just be due to the amount of stoves sold. My Soto starter has always worked without fail and is probably the best Piezo design.

Having said that most do not work if wet. Personally I don't consider the starter when purchasing a stove as I will always carry a small lighter or matches in any case. If the stove you like comes with one, go for it, enjoy it while it lasts. If the stove does not, don't let it stop you.

Given a choice, I would probably go without myself. I like it well enough that I haven't removed it from the Soto thaough.

Jim

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> The only time I've ever used a canister, I was hiking with a friend who had a Pocket
    > Rocket. Had a helluva time getting the pot to stay on the supports,
    Yes, well, my opinion of the Pocket Rocket is probably well known by now. It would be in the bottom 5% I think.

The GST-100 has long been seen as a good Gold Standard.

Cheers

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Unfortunately the GST-100 hasn't been made since 2007 or 2008, having been supplanted by the GST-120 LiteMax. It seems that all the qualities of the GST-100 are embodied in the GS-100, with the exception of the additional 1.25 ounces.

Whoops. That should be .75 ounces.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Yeah, go for the GS-100 then.

Cheers

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

My giga has the igniter but I admit I got it used and the one that popped up at a good price had the piezo. It works well and at least with snow peak is easily replaceable. Having said that if buying new id probably just get the manual stove.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have the GS100A and used it for several years before I switched to alcohol for most trips. I had no problems with the auto igniter at lower altitudes (3000-6500ft) but when I took it on a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park last summer due to a fire ban (and thus alcohol stoves), the auto igniter was finicky. It ended up working every time, but it took a few tries. We were at 9000-10500ft.

One screw on the auto ignighter version makes it the standard version (and vice versa).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools