Topic

Snowpeak Gigapower Manual vs Snowpeak Litemax

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snowpeak Gigapower Manual vs Snowpeak Litemax

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

I had a Litemax, one of the rivets for the fold-out pot support extensions was the 1st point of failure in my case.

Dave

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Many piezo lighters are adjustable, especially the later Jetboil models. You will find a generous amount of wire under the burner to pull/push up if the tip is damaged. Small changes in distance can make big differences in performance, just like the gap on a gas engine spark plug.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The BIG problem with piezo ignitors is that they do not have quite enough energy in the spark. Yes indeed, you do need a certain amount of energy to ignite butane and propane, especially at altitude, and the piezos are very marginal.

And that is why those gun-shaped spark lighters which are sold for use on domestic stoves often take several clicks to light the flame, even at sea level. Marginal energy.

Cheers

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think another issue with piezo lighters is the pinpoint of the spark and getting the right mixture of gas an oxygen. The spark can often be in a very pure stream of gas, one that is too "rich" for ignition. Likewise the pistol-like stove lighters. With a slight draft and some turbulence in the gas flow and you get a mixture that will light. I think the spark output is relatively constant.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I have the gs100 with piezo, and pocket rocket.
    The pot stability is very good with the snow peak, and marginal with the PR.

My piezo has never failed, but I'm on the east coast of the US, and we only have low altitude ;)

In my opinion, the piezo is super convenient and worth having. It's especially useful if you need to simmer, and their is wind. Even with my MSR wind screen, the low flames blow out in mild gusts. This problem is worse with the PR.

If you are worried about the extra weight, don't forget that you save a tiny bit of fuel by using a piezo. If you light he stove manually, the flame is wasted for the 1/2 a second before you can lift and settle the pot on top of it. If you simmer each night and the flame blows out 3-5 times each time, this adds up to enough fuel that you can only partially cook 1 meal.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools