Topic

How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I have the chance to solo the JMT in late August this year, and I tweaked my list from last year a bit. I'm going on the assumption (at THIS point) that mosquitos will be a non-issue, given the tragic water situation now.

My Nook is a non-negotiable luxury (I love to read on my hikes!), but everything else is.
    I am trying the Platy Hoser for a while this summer because I found I really was not drinking enough just using bottles. And on the JMT last year I was so dehydrated all the time…I may need those extra ounces if it helps me drink more. In Big Bend it worked like a champ…I drank a ton.

I'm debating the purchase of a Zpacks Solplex as a shelter (but if I use the cuben duomid WITHOUT an inner net that only saves me 2-3 oz. Not sure it's worth it…
    I'm also debating purchasing an Exped Synmat UL7 Short, since I obviously don't need the R of the downmat, but again, are those enough ounces to justify the cash?

Pack
    Zimmerbuilt pack 25.7
    sit pad (frame of pack) 0.5

Shelter
    Duomid, cuben 15.2
    polycro ground cloth ??
    Stake set (8 ti hooks) 2

Sleep
    Enigma 20* 17
    schnozzle bag 2.1
    Downmat UL7 S 17
    UL pillow 2.1
    Down pillow cover 2
    Down booties 1.9

Cooking
    Starlyte stove 0.5
    Caldera Cone 0.9
    Cooking cozy 0.4
    Evernew 600mL pot 3
    Fuel measuring cup 0
    Spork 0.4
    Ti mug (300mL) 1.8
    Nano towel 0.6
    mini bic 0.5

Hydration
    sawyer filter 1.7
    1L dirty reservoir 0.2
    Platy hoser, 2L 3.1
    filling cup 0.1

Clothing (carried)
    Black Rock Gear hat 1
    MB Ex Light puffy 5.6
    Rab Pulse 6.5
    Cuben kilt 2
    Tights (arcteryx AR) 4.3
    MEC T2 hoody? 7.1
    1 pr socks 1.2
    1 pr underwear (pat active brief) 1.2
    Montane Featherlite wind pants 4.4
    Rab Cirrus (windshirt) 3.7
    Rab gloves 0.8
    XO sandals 7.5

Tools
    camera/bag/batteries ??
    iphone 4.5
    spare batteries (AA) 0.9
    Spare mini bic 0.5
    Gerber knife 2.1
    Zebralight H51W headlamp 3.1
    Delorme 6.7
    Chargers (iphone, delorme, nook) ??

Toiletries/other
    First aid kit 1.2
    Nook/case 7
    sunscreen 0.5
    Hand lotion 0.2
    Toothpaste/brush 1
    bandana 0.2
    Medication 1.3

Bearikade Weekender 31.2

Total base weight oz 203.6
    Total base weight pounds 12.725

Clothing worn
    Nylon shorts 5
    Rail rider adventure shirt 6.9
    Underpants 1.2
    sports bra 3.9
    Socks 1.2
    NB Leadville shoes 19.4
    dirty girl gaiters 0.9
    Sun hat (OR) 2.8
    neck buff 1.3
    Locus Gear poles 10.1

Worn weight oz
    Worn weight pounds 47.7

Full skin out weight oz 251.3
    Full skin out weight pounds 15.70625

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Hi Jennifer,

lucky you to get the chance to do the JMT again. First of all let me say that I don't think 12.72 lbs baseweight is "heavy" – especially with 2 lbs for a bear canister in there. So my first advice would be to go with it, if you have your gear dialed in and feel comfortable with your choices.
    Since you are asking for suggestions, I will make a few that could help save additional weight.

1) XO Sandals — leave them at home. Your NB shoes are all you need. Saves 7.5 oz
    2) Downmat UL7 s — replace with NeoAir xLite R (12 oz). Saves 5 oz and gives you a full length mat
    3) Zimmerbuilt Pack — replace with Zpacks ARc Blast. Saves 9.2 oz
    4) Duomid – replace with SMD Deschutes (Cuben). Saves 8.2 oz

There are more items where you could save some weight, but for now these four alone save you 30 oz and would get your base weight to 10.xx lbs.

Have fun out there,

Manfred

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The surplus items I see

Sandals, easy half pound to cut, if just for around camp / night you can make a one ounce pair out of duck tape and blue foam.
    GPS – do you really need it?
    Iphone – do you really need it and the GPS and the nook and a camera. Can you use some of these in combination such as Iphone and nook.

Down pillow cover is pure luxury

Your pad is a good area to target weight loss as you can shave almost 10oz from the pump and pad combo.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

The delorme is the PBL/tracker and is a must for my family (especially since I'll be solo), so I guess i should have said that.

I certainly can leave the iPhone at home…I do feel bad carrying all those electronics. I didn't like that during the first trip but I wasn't sure what to do about it. But it was nice to be able to call home a few times.

The shoes can go.
    I really like the pillow cover, but I can play with that.
    And yeah, I should probably just go with the new pad. That's at least a bit cheaper way to shave quite a few oz.

I was wondering about the arc blast, too……..
    I'm afraid that to get much lighter it's really going to cost me – a new shelter, a new pack….yikes.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jen,

I think we all can get caught up in gear planning for a particular trip and wanting to get the gear just right, but I don't think there's any reason to upgrade your pack and shelter unless you REALLY want a Solplex + Arc Blast for other trips, not just this one. You've got a great custom pack and the cuben DuoMid is a great shelter (I have one, too!). You could save up to 2 lbs with that combo but I just don't think it'll make or break the trip.

Leave the sandals.

Bring the polycro. Why not?

The sleeping pad is a tough one. Anything under 16 oz will have trade-offs to achieve that weight: tapered mummy shape, shorter length than a standard 72", maybe fudging a little bit on width (like the once-promising BA Q-Core SL), delicate design. If you're happy with the DownMat UL, I'd just stay with that. Or, like you said, the SynMat looks like the cheapest place to save oz.

I'd consider leaving the Delorme, especially on a well-traveled well-mapped trail like the JMT. If your family wants it, though, that's hard to argue with. You could leave the iPhone but a phone is nice to have when traveling to and from the trail, in Lone Pine at the end.

Finally, the most important thing. For pete's sake, decide on whether it's "underwear" or "underpants."

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jen

It is good to think about the weight, but it is NOT good to focus solely on the weight. Comfort = sleep = enjoyment

I had a Synmat UL7 – but my wife pinched it and won't give it back. Since you will be spending ~1/3 of your time hopefully asleep on whatever, having a good mat is important.

Down pillow cover & booties – not so sure about them.

Camera – YES. iPhone – optional.

Clothing – maybe just a shade too many bits.

Enjoy!
    Cheers

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Phone + way to charge=

camera
    phone
    Kindle app
    GPS

All in one.

There you go ;-)

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

I know, I know…too much focus on weight. But honestly, a bunch of it is simplicity for me as well. I find that far more than weight savings I so appreciate just not having as much stuff to keep track of. And as I dial in my knowledge and experience and need for less stuff in the hopes of a whole bunch of thru hikes, this is certainly a nice exercise. Besides…I've been sick and had to bail on my weekend trip. So instead I get to look at spreadsheets!

Here is an updated list that would include dropping $1000 on a solplex and an arc blast as well as the exped synmat to complement my downmat (it would be nice to have both of those anyway). This is a pretty sweet list, if I do say so myself!

But for argument's sake, knowing I have to keep the delorme for my brother (who is giving me a WHOLE lot of grief about going alone – so this was my compromise) and that I PREFER to take the e-reader (as I really don't like to read on an iPhone)… Maybe the iPhone just gets left behind. I can use the delorme to text my family, and I'm sure i could always find a phone to chat with family at VVR or something.

I also nixed the shoes (Sorry Ryan – they really are the BOMB!),
    – nixed the rain kilt. I've been in some nasty storms this past year with my wind pants + tights combo and it's more than adequate for me
    – nixed the pillow cover (I'll experiment with something else – maybe my neck buff? to make it more comfy on my face)
    – nixed the iPhone
    – swapped out the downmat and the schnozzle bag for a short synmat (no comfort sacrifice at all here)
    – changed UNDERPANTS and UNDERWEAR to be the same throughout the spreadsheet
    – in my dreams I purchased the solplex and the arc blast (52L) – think I can get away with the 45L and a bear can?????
    – nixed the grid fleece hoody for some other medium weight LS shirt for evenings/sleeping (TBD)
    – nixed the down booties (loved 'em last year, but not sure they are actually necessary. I was never that cold – it was just a luxury)
    – I also got rid of my ti mug (which annoys me anyway) in favor of a disposal cup – just for coffee in the am
    – need to decide which camera to bring. I have a sweet sweet nikon that takes just amazing pictures, but it's heavy and awkward to carry. I have a few months to work on that

Here's the updated list (including the dream purchases):

Pack
    Arc blast* 16
    (instead of my zimmerbuilt + sit pad – saves 10.5 oz)

Shelter
    Zpacks solplex* 14.6
    (instead of the cuben duomid + groundcloth – saves 5 oz)

Sleep
    Enigma 20 17
    Synmat UL 7 S 14.3
    (instead of the downmat + schnozzle bag – saves 5 oz)
    UL pillow 2.1

Cooking
    Starlyte stove 0.5
    Caldera Cone 0.9
    Cooking cozy 0.4
    Evernew 600mL pot 3
    Fuel measuring cup 0
    Spork 0.4
    mug – disposable 0.5
    (instead of ti mug – saves 1.3 oz)
    Nano towel 0.6
    mini bic 0.5

Hydration
    sawyer filter 1.7
    1L dirty reservoir 0.2
    Platy hoser 3.1
    filling cup 0.1

Clothing (carried)
    Black Rock Gear hat 1
    MB Ex Light puffy 5.6
    Rab Pulse 6.5
    Tights (arcteryx AR) 4.3
    LS shirt 4.5
    1 pr socks 1.2
    1 pr underwear (pat active brief) 1.2
    Montane Featherlite wind pants 4.4
    Rab Cirrus (windshirt) 3.7
    Rab MeCo gloves 0.8

Tools
    camera/case/batteries ??oz
    spare batteries (AA) 0.9
    Spare mini bic 0.5
    Zebralight H51W headlamp 3.1
    Delorme 6.7
    Chargers (delorme, nook) ??oz

Toiletries/other
    First aid kit 1.2
    Nook/case 7
    sunscreen 0.5
    Hand lotion 0.2
    Toothpaste/brush 1.2
    bandana 0.2
    Medication 1.3

Bearikade Weekender 31.2

Total base weight oz 163.1
    Total base weight pounds 10.19375

Clothing worn
    Nylon shorts 5
    Rail rider adventure shirt 6.9
    underwear 1.2
    sports bra 3.9
    Socks 1.2
    NB Leadville shoes 19.4
    dirty girl gaiters 0.9
    Sun hat (OR) 2.8
    neck buff 1.3
    Locus Gear poles 10.1
    Gerber knife 2.1

Worn weight oz 49.8
    Worn weight pounds 3.1125

Full skin out weight oz 212.9
    Full skin out weight pounds 13.30625

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Seriously guys, telling her to by a $300+ pack and an even more expensive new shelter just to save a pound is just mean! LOL

Also, not to be a negative nancy, but unfortunately I'm not sure the alcohol stove is going to be allowed, either this year anywhere, and in the NPs usually – apparently this is the new normal. While I am in to alcohol stoves I can commiserate with the Park Service. While the Starlite stove is immune to most accidents, the bottle of fuel is not. This is a case where the chance of idiots may trump flexibility, and the fire danger may be high in August. Be prepared and get an "official rulling" just before you go. Better to stick with the canisters, which will be lighter anyway on a trip of a week or more – though you don't get the BW bragging rights for it. Jetboil solTi w/removed canister tripod lid and everything but the stove and pot, with 16 oz ziplock bowl lid replacement 8.7 oz. Fuel efficiency – priceless. So yes, easy answer – Spend More! :-)

Depending on how you feel about it you might try just a tarp and a bivy like the zpacks one since mosquitoes will not be an issue. Going to sleep staring up at the trees and the stars is pretty nice. Less pack space used as well, which is going be an issue using a berikade in the arc blast.

The berikade weekender does in fact fit into the arcblast 52L, but there are some awkward spaces in the gaps. If you think it will help I can post some pictures of this. With the arc blast, more that with, say, the similar sized but more efficient shape for of the heavier Kalais, you will be dealing with volume issues. Still I think you can make it all fit.

Also, even for the squemish, there is probably less fundamental need for the filter in the sierra than almost anywhere else – just bring aquamira. That is all I have ever used in the sierras, decanted aquamira, small plastic bottles, you can premix in the morning. I bring a small piece of noseeum netting, and an extra gatoraid bottle cap where I have dremmeled out the top. Put the cap on over the mesh, and dip int lake or stream. Since you have a medical background you may have a higher standard, but this also save space as well as weight. Also less work.

Lately I have been using the Panasonic lumix fh6 (4.3 oz with battery included). Leica lens, and cheap. Zoom lens, but with an extra wide angle setting on the short end – equivalent to about 24 mm on a 35mm camera. This is nice for outdoor stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Lumix-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B00728Z8U0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391986715&sr=8-1&keywords=lumix+fh6

Fits perfectly in a zimmerbuilt zipped pouch (http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/padded-shoulder-strap-pocket.html) with an extra battery or two, on my shoulder strap. Bring a flattened TP tube for sighting the LCD in the alpine glare, if necessary.

I am planning on doing the JMT in late August and September so maybe we will cross paths. I will be on a luxurious slow plan, with lots of fly fishing and peak bagging along the way. If I can just make it past labor day I will be able to stop grumbling about the crowds.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

as a pillow case. I can't stand having a vinyl surface against my face, so I just stuff my Montbell pillow inside my Buff. Mind you, I haven't hiked for days on end wearing my Buff, so at some point it might be too sweaty, but then *I'll* be too sweaty to care. A quick rinse should take care of it, and the buff should dry quick in California. Not sure what would happen up here in Washington–nothing much dries, ever.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Heavier than what? :) You have a good kit and as other said, the very expensive gear changes don't save all that much.

I think you are asking "why isn't my kit SUL?" My answer is that you have a reasonably comfortable and practical kit, vs the very Spartan and compromise-prone SUL gear lists. You can get down to crazy light weights, but that will certainly mean less comfort and IMHO, less safety. You already have a pack with good capacity and I assume you find it comfortable. Likewise, you have a very good shelter that can handle real weather. You have a grasp of the electronic toys and the decisions to be made there.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Hi Jennifer. Best of luck on your JMT hike this summer! I will be heading out to do it this year as well, only a bit earlier. I have just a couple of comments on your list:
    Give your new Zimmerbuilt a chance on a hike like the JMT before ditching it to save a bit. I have heard great things about the Arcblast as well, and Joe makes great gear, but I love my custom Zimmerbuilt and it would take a pretty darn impressive pack to make me fork out the dough to save a few ounces.
    It looks like you are ditching the Snozzle? This is a piece of gear that makes a great dry bag, and makes blowing up the Synmat soooo much easier at the end of the day that it is worth the extra ounce or so you save by using a different style stuff sack.

Which direction are you heading this year? It doesn't look like we'll cross paths like last year, as I'm planning on a late June JMT trip, and a late July partial SHR trip. All the best!

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Well, heavy is certainly relative. I carried way more weight and I never thought it was heavy. I did have a lot less clothing and a lot less electronic stuff so those might be two areas where you can find stuff to leave at home.

Sandals and windpants will probably not get used. A hooded midlayer in the summer is way overkill.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Since when is a 13-15 pound FSO too heavy?

My advice would be to stop worrying about gear and put your energy into training prior to leaving. Regardless of the mileage you do per day, good training between now and August will have a far greater positive effect on your hike than any two pound gear change will.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Mark, Rick and Craig +1 Have a great time Jen!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

THANKS!!!

I agree and THANKS so much for the encouragement. You're right – I have no desire to go SUL, and I also plan on taking my sweet time this year. I had to rush a bit at the end last year and regretting not being able to spend time at Rae Lakes and a few other places, so I'm tacking on a few days and taking it easy. So my nook, a nice soft pillow…..ah.

I actually use the wind pants A LOT. I like to hike in shorts and the windpants make a great addition during chilly stops, in the evening, in the am for the first hour or so or if I hike a bit after sunset…I've really come to like the shorts + tights + wind pants combo. No need for bottom rain gear, and it covers all my bases.

I really like the zimmer pack – it will get a nice week long test run with a superfluous bearikade (for testing purposes) in the Gila Wilderness and I'm waiting on that before I make any pack decisions. I am amazed how well it carries – if it fails the bearikade test THEN i'll consider the arc blast. 10.5 oz or not…..

And the duomid without any inner net (if the mosquitos aren't around) will be small and light anyway – there's not much weight savings to be had there.

What of my clothes should I nix? I got rid of the hoody but I do want a mid weight LS shirt. Last year I just had a cap 1 LS and it was NOT warm enough at night, but sleeping in my puffy was too much. I also got rid of the rain kilt (see wind pant + tights combo above).

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Yeah, I strongly disagreed with Jeff Jeffs comment about nixing the hoody. Your ex light is somewhat underpowered, so having the extra (I like wool) hooded layer like the MEC T2 or Ibex indie is not overkill at all.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Jen,

If I take shorts + tights + wind pants combo, I still through in a cuben rain kilt.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

My friend and I joked that it was like the surface of mercury up there! Oh my gosh the SUN!! It's so HOT!!! But literally the second it went behind a ridge…freezing!!

I even wore my puffy once to take a nap under a tree at midday….

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

There are some really good comments here, I've enjoyed reading this thread. Jen, I get what you are saying about simplicity. Anymore, I am finding myself much more concerned with quantity and bulk than I am with weight. But I still have no problem taking a couple luxury items. A Kindle has made its way into my pack on my last couple trips and I have really enjoyed having it.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

At first I thought this was going to be a thread about you gaining weight :)

If it was me, I could just leave several items at home and be comfortable and lighter. So, decide what you really need and don't buy anything new.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

"My friend and I joked that it was like the surface of mercury up there! Oh my gosh the SUN!! It's so HOT!!! But literally the second it went behind a ridge…freezing!! "

I lived in Santa Fe, NM for 3 years. High altitude and very dry air. People would come and visit me. And it would be in the in the nineties, and with the sun it felt even hotter. They the sun was about to go down and I was typically getting ready to take them out for dinner or walking around town, and I'd always say "bring a hat and a warm jacket". They always were incredulous – depending on how much I liked them I would press them more. LOL

Anyway, every night, as soon as the sun set, 45 degree drop in like 3 hours. Pretty much the same in the sierra.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

"At first I thought this was going to be a thread about you gaining weight :)"

At least this one is about someone complaining she has herself gained "weight", and not some guy complaining about his GF's excessive "weight". The latter can get you in some serious trouble, even if it is only pack weight. :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools