Topic

How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists How did I get so heavy? Late Aug JMT solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    William F

@wkf

Locale: PNW

Looks like you've received a lot of good advice so far. I was thinking, you could pack your bag up, then take out the ounces that would be represented by changing the Zimmerbuilt pack and Duomid for the other pack and shelter you'd mentioned. I would think that even noticing the difference in a few ounces would be hard unless you are really in tune with a particular gear list. Weight is weight I know, but when we're talking close to a thousand dollars…

I read that your brother is really concerned about you going solo but aren't maps more than sufficient to do the JMT? Especially since you've already hiked it (and recently it sounds like). I've never done the JMT and I don't want to make assumptions about your brother but it just seems like a relatively safe outing considering its popularity in the summer. I've always thought that bringing a PLB is well worth the weight though. My 2 cents anyhow.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If I need a GPS or PLB on the JMT, I'd ask the next hiker that came along.

GPS and PLBs are great tools and I've been happy to have them in remote, off-trail locations. The JMT is neither. I wouldn't fault anyone for bringing them if they add safety for an inexperienced hiker or add some comfort for the hiker themselves.

Sorry, but I'm going to be blunt below:

Families that think you're a big kid now and can take care of yourself correlate strongly with families that don't micro-manage your gear or insist you have a tracking implant like a migrating endangered species. And that's all good.

But the families that want you to be tracked at all times, typically also don't understand that "good news = good news, but no news isn't bad news, it's just no news". If you push on in a storm to get out of a canyon and up to more exposed terrain so you can more likely get a SPOT message out, you aren't improving your safety.

edited to add: And if you can't get a message out (batteries, terrain, dropped it in the river) the homebodies are in more of a tizzy than if you'd had no tracking device.

I've had this happen a few times with companions. Family members freaking out when there were no SPOT messages for a few days (from the Canyon Canyon! – good grief – I was really clear on that point beforehand), or last summer, the USCG asking his wife if she was "Tony Garcia's next of kin" while he was safe on a beach right next to me (albeit watching our boat sink into the ocean).

Last month, my son's Nordic ski team's bus crashed in a mountain pass, 400 miles from home. 90 minutes of panicked parents, phone calls, and texts ensued when NONE of that could possibly help any injured students. If you need to call SAR, EMS, or for practical advice, do so sooner rather than later. But if you are calling to report a mishap to anyone else (spouse, parent, news media), wait until you have a more complete story – THAT will reduce the angst back home; not early, incomplete notification. P.S. the 72-year-old bus driver eventually lost one leg. Student injuries were limited to split lips, bruised arms, and bloody noses.

William F

@wkf

Locale: PNW

+1 to David's comment

Is the Delorme a PLB or something more? After going back and reading I realized I'm not quite sure what it is. I was thinking about a FastFind 210/220 in terms of a PLB. I would agree that a SPOT type device ("I'm okay guys" thing) isn't really that useful accept for a few particular contexts, and as you pointed out could be problematic in a sketchy situation just to get to a position where it will work. Then there's the issue of a malfunction or maybe the thing gets left somewhere or falls out of your pack; what does your family think then? Again and correct me if I'm wrong here, (I've never done the JMT but from everything I've read) seems like people are "close by" most of the time.

Edit: called 'David' 'Dave', sorry

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

It's a tracker and a satellite text messenger thing. It's nice to be able to "share" your trip with friends and family who can watch your progress, you can send "I'm ok" messages, but you can also send unique messages as well, such as to actually have a texting conversation if you so chose.

Wholly unnecessary, of course, on the JMT.

And I am very much hoping that since this is my second go-around it won't be an issue this year. All those crowds in my pictures from last year I think did quite a bit to have my family feel pretty good about my going solo.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

William: I too, am unclear on which DeLorme unit Jennifer is proposing and its capacities.

Edited due to cross-posting with Jennifer: Texting is, IMO and IME much more important and more useful than "SOS", "HELP", "OK" or the activation button on a PLB. Often, it is better than voice (a friend inadvertently launched a S&R helicopter due to a grabbled voice call from a mountain top). Pro-tip: PROOF READ your message! Sure, for auto-correct fails, but more so for tone and how it might be mis-read. Type it out, let someone else proof it, reread it a minute later, and only then hit "send".

>" I would agree that a SPOT type device ("I'm okay guys" thing) isn't really that useful accept for a few particular contexts,"

Here are some contexts I like tracking devices:

A local air-charter outfit flies 206s and a T-bone. On cross-country flights, SPOT or Spidertracks lets dispatch update the ETAs and therefore reduces pilot workload a bit. If the pilot has to turn around, dispatch can advise passenger and freight customers that much sooner. And, if something goes wrong, they have a last-known position. But everyone involved knows about coverage limitations, etc.

I called the "Help" button (not the "SOS") button on the SPOT transmitter the "Send Beer" button. Because WTH does "Help" mean without more info? One friend used my SPOT creatively and pre-arranged that "Help" meant "I've used more fuel than I planned, bring 55 gallons of gasoline to Galena (on the Yukon River)". "Help" could also be agreed to mean, "I'm going to miss my planned exit date but I'm fine. Don't worry."

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

I was able to use the Delorme to communicate with my uncle who was picking me up at Whitney Portal. I could give him a precise day/time for the pickup, which was wonderful for both of us.

I also enjoyed, after coming home, to relive the trip with pictures and all my points on the map.

I took the Delorme to Big Bend a few weeks ago and was able to text my brother, who was bringing us a water cache, to also bring beer. It was one of the best beers I've ever had. Totally worth the subscription price for the delorme, in my opinion.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Jennifer,

Back to saving you some weight.
    Just how much lighter are you tiring to go?

You haven't really stated that you would like to be at least ____ pounds lighter.

The problem I see is that you are not willing to sacrifice comfort to be lighter?
    Comfort to me is more experience than weight.
    With that in mind, I could shed several pounds off your weight.
    Your luxury items alone are pounds of weight.
    You have to realize that I hate weight and take "all" means necessary to get rid of every bit of it that I can. I even hiked strait thru the areas where canisters are required so I wouldn't have to carry one.

Since you are not willing to leave gear behind, there is not much you can do about reducing weight.

Without buying much new gear, lets take a look at some easy weight savings.

sit pad (frame of pack) 0.5
    Downmat UL7 S 17
    Buying a half length inflatable pad with a 1/8" cut pad under the rest of you (and use as the sit pad) could easily be around 11 ounces
    (Weight saved 6.5 ounces)

polycro ground cloth
    Okay, if you really want to save some weight, make it so you can use your polycro as a tarp (with 8 tie off points) if it rains. If you select good camping spots, you wont have to worry about it ripping in the case you need it for a shelter in the rain.
    (Weight saved 13.7 ounces)

schnozzle bag 2.1
    Okay, I realize only us stupid SUL guys would go for the whole polycro thing above, but you have a fully enclosed tent. So why the schnozzle bag?
    (Weight saved 2.1 ounces)

Evernew 600mL pot 3
    Ti mug (300mL) 1.8
    Why a pot and mug? Not necessary.
    (Weight saved 1.8 ounces)

Gerber knife 2.1
    Zebralight H51W headlamp 3.1
    Nano towel 0.6
    Heavy, heavy, heavy. Could easily cut the weight in half. Just cut the towel in half.
    (Weight savings should be 3 ounces)

sawyer filter 1.7
    Why??? This is the JMT,. NO! If you must have a back up, use a few Katadyn Micropur Purification Tablets
    (Weight saved 1.6 ounces)

Cuben kilt 2
    Tights (arcteryx AR) 4.3
    Montane Featherlite wind pants 4.4
    Nylon shorts 5
    XO sandals 7.5
    I think you should ditch the sandals and the tights and keep the shorts.
    (Weight saved 11.8 ounces)

Nook/case 7
    Don't like reading from the phone? Who cares, it's a luxury item anyway. Read from the phone.
    (Weight saved 7 ounces)

So without ditching the tent or buying too much new gear, you save an easy 27.5 ounces. All of this is carried weight and in doing so you would take 14% of the carried weight off your back.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Thanks Aaron!! That's exactly the sort of stuff I'm looking for…point me to wasted ounces!! Some stuff I think I HAVE to have, but posts like this (and the ones telling me to put my big girl pants on and not let my family force me to take the Delorme…) make me question those preconceived notions. I honestly don't have a target weight…I just want to see what is wasteful in my kit (again, simplicity and just less stuff is more important to me than weight…but that goes with it) and see where that gets me. But no, I'm totally willing to leave stuff behind. I was just partial to the single luxury of the nook, only because reading by a lake, or under a tree, or watching the sunset, is a huge part of my hiking experience and one that I cherish. This isn't a race for me, I just want to not carry as much as I would if I didn't go through these spreadsheet exercises.

Now, having said that…..You're right…maybe I really should think about reading from my phone….then I could ditch the camera, the delorme, AND the nook and only carry one electronic device and one charger.

I already ditched the mug (I only use it for coffee anyway)

The point of the schnozzle bag is to inflate the downmat (no moisture from inflation…); but if I make a single purchase of a short synmat (which is no comfort sacrifice whatsoever) then don't need the schnozzle.

Already ditched the sandals.

The headlamp is heavy, and honestly I'm not really sure how much I used it last year. During my regular hikes all year long I do a lot of night hiking and such a light is very important to me. But on the JMT?? And at a leisurely pace? Not sure I need something so, well, substantial.

I'll post an updated list and see where I'm at…without any more purchases. I am too chicken/modest to go shelterless/polycro tarp just yet. But a hexamid tarp, or something similar, might be where I want to go; Ill have to do some more thinking about that for now. And some practice/experimenting……

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Aaron, anything else in the clothes you'd nix?
    Roger, you also mentioned that I had a lot of clothes.

What is overkill? What should stay home? Mind you I run a bit chilly……..

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"The headlamp is heavy"

Zebralight standard trick. Ditch the fancy head strap. Substitute an old Croakies eyeglasses strap. Plus, use a primary lithium AA battery. You should drop about an ounce on those, and you still have your light.

–B.G.–

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Cool bob, thanks. It's an uncomfortable strap anyway!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Jennifer,

You won't care for this list but here is what my base was in my pack on the JMT.
    I did a lot of night hiking and needed the heavier light. Just showing you this so you can see how much I cut out.

Shelter Homemade M90 Bivy- 3.0
    Homemade Down Quilt- 17.8
    Pad 1/8" (24"x 72" closed cell pads – 3
    Lg Polycryo as a tarp and 6 stakes (Groundcloth if not raining) – 4.5

Cooking:
    Trail Lite Ti 900- 3.8
    pot stand, wind screen and mini bic 1.0
    Long Ti Spoon- .2

Equipment Carried:
    Homemade beane 1.0
    Mid weight L/S Shirt – 8
    Wind Jacket – Homemade M90 – 2.2
    Fenix HL20 with battery- 2
    Water 2 Gatorade 32 ounce bottles- 1.9
    MP3- 1.0

Others in Pack:
    Maps Tom Harrison, cut down
    ID, CC, Cash, Key
    Phone and Charger
    A little bit of Sunblock, Chapstick
    Tape for Feet
    Pills various
    4 extra aaa batteries
    3 extra aa batteries
    T/P
    Total: 12.5 ounces

Consumables:
    10 Esbits 5.0
    Water Average 24 Ounces
    Food 11 pounds

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

That sure looked like a weight WITH headband, but I didn't have mine handy to check. Bag the headband – lights belong at waist level for hiking because when head mounted, they wash out all bumps and dips and you trip a lot more. Use the the standard clip to hang it from a waistband or waist belt. Around camp, it can hang from your collar.

And, as Bob says, use a lithium battery. More electrons in half the weight. And good to 40 degrees colder than alkaline batteries.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"And good to 40 degrees colder than alkaline batteries."

If it gets that cold, then Jennifer will have other problems on her hands.

My Zebralight ended up slightly below 2 ounces.

–B.G.–

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Aaron – don't say I won't like your list…I do. I'm not SUL yet, and not sure I actually want to be. But looking at lists like this show me what's possible, what do I really need, and what am I hanging on to simply out of habit and a preconceived notion that I need something.

I mean, I never thought I'd like a tarp, a quilt, an alcohol stove……….

Only then can I actively CHOOSE TO BRING something – which is the whole point of this exercise, right?

For example, I do know that last year I was uncomfortable in my cap 1 at night. The puffy was too much, the cap 1 not enough…so I am actively choosing to add a medium weight LS shirt to my list, despite the penalty.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

My schnozzle worked great as a pack liner during two days of heavy downpour last summer in the Sierra. Now I wont leave home without it. Especially because I'm leaving layers behind in favor of one 'big' puffy. Saves weight, gains warmth. Schnozzle keeps my bag and puffy dry. And I'm happy every time I blow up my mat with the thing.

It weighs, what, 2 oz? With practically no mass.

So obviously I vote yes on the schnozzle.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Don't replace the pack and shelter. Modest weight savings for a big decline in quality.

You could HTFU and replace that bouncy castle, inflation bag, and groundsheet with a 5 oz, torso length piece of ridgerest.

Mostly, you need fewer clothes. It is August in one of the suniest mountain ranges on earth. 2 leg layers, max. Shorts and Featherlite pants would be my pick. Four upper layers, max. Adventure (aka dork) shirt, Cirrus, puff, rain coat. Change of undies and socks. Buff and puff hood only. No gloves.

Fewer electronics, too.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Only then can I actively CHOOSE TO BRING something – which is the whole point of this exercise, right? "

This! +1.

There comes a certain point where you are actually sacrificing some functionality – UL BAMFs always call them "comfort" items but the ultimate point is to be conscious. When all people have to add is ways to cut weight by loosing functionality then you will know you are nearing the point where you can make conscious decisions about every item. This is not like taking a heavy pack because you are afraid it might get tossed over a cliff, and so on.

And seriously, are you going to take the advice of a Canadian not to bring any gloves at all? I think he is just mocking us soft southlanders. :-)

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools