Topic

Roll Your Own Toilet Paper

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Roll Your Own Toilet Paper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    marcus hampton

@thecritter

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here's another Critter exclusive.

Toilet paper, bum wad, or arsewipe as it's called in some parts of the world, is considered a necessity among most hikers. Here's a way I was shown to pack TP when I was very young and I've never heard of anyone else doing it this way.

Just remember, you can use leaves, moss, or snow if you start to run low, to make the TP last longer. Sometimes I just rely on leaves, moss, and snow(critter style).

1)Roll your own toilet paper.
    2)Packing Toilet Paper for Backpacking and Thru-hiking .

I've never seen a better way to package toilet paper. I was shown these two methods by a Green Beret.

Don Morris

@hikermor

Snowballs are better – and very invigorating

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Also, if you begin the roll tightly around a length of string you can use it as a tampon for your bleeding vagina. Man-up, homeboy! You don't need toilet paper in the woods.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

not sure why plugging his youtube channel isn't in the Web section….. i think we all know different ways of packing TP.

my method.. smash half roll, put in zip lock bag. works for weekends to 3 week thru hike. having it in a hard plastic container would make it less packable.

marcus hampton

@thecritter

Thanks for watching my video.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wow, tough crowd. It is winter.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

I'm not sure I'd want to risk getting frostbite on my brown eye… I'll stick with the TP.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

"Here's another Critter exclusive"

3rd person….really?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

at least he's moved away from sharp objects he has no skill with.

(did he really stab himself in the arm while cutting up a fish? or is that some Bear Grylls "reality" )

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Some of these tips stink.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It's like a smear campaign.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I wonder how much weight you save like this? A few grams maybe?

If you want to limit the amount you take, what's the matter with either folding it up neatly, or just feeding it into a plastic bag concertina fashion?

Cheers

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Yea but what do you do with the USED toilet paper? ( LNT)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Who the heck needs TP? I just club a rabbit when I need to go. Nice and soft…

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Poor critter….;-)

too much blood..use mullein

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"I just club a rabbit when I need to go. "

Bear and Rabbit are chatting in the forest. Bear asks, "Don't you hate how the poo sticks to your fur?" Rabbit, "The poo doesn't stick to my fur." Bear, "Well, good . . . . " (insert visual of Bear wiping his backside with Rabbit).

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I've never understood that joke, David. Wouldn't you want the poo to stick to the rabbit fur? Otherwise it would be kinda like wiping with teflon.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I do it more like your 2nd video – remove tube, I only need about half roll so I find a half used roll, then put in pint ziploc bag.

Benjamin Kelley
    BPL Member

@benjamin-kelley

Locale: Midwest

I've always been fond of the little MRE toilet paper, when I need to use it anyways. Mainly because we have extras of it around, since everyone discards them from their MREs and uses their own giant rolls of charmin etc… They are small, I keep one in each of my hipbelt pockets. The compactness you just throw it in your pocket and can head off the cathole not carrying a bag/roll of TP with you. The brown paper wrapper is pretty good at keeping them dry, and it doubles as tender if you can have fires.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"Also, if you begin the roll tightly around a length of string you can use it as a tampon for your bleeding vagina. Man-up, homeboy! You don't need toilet paper in the woods."

Really?

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Why not just one "Critter posts a video" thread that Critter can update when Critter feels like it? Personally, Delmar likes to open a thread and read the thread, not get a redirect to YouTube every time. But some people might, so…why not a single thread for Critter vids? Then everybody's happy.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"Check this OUT!!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/toilet_paper_free.html#.UuFTpCwo7IU "

Those in the 3rd world who do not have toilet paper would walk a mile for a roll of it.

Now this guy who has as much of it as he wants writes about doing without it.

Each to his own.

But to me… exactly zero of his suggested alternatives appeal to me.

I find toilet paper convenient, comfortable, light weight, and no problems with burning it. Any unburned remnants can be packed out.

Billy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools