Topic

New MLD SoloMid XL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New MLD SoloMid XL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"there is only a 4oz weight saving"

This is BPL and you are talking a quarter pound.

I'd use the money for gas and actually getting out.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Or beer :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Arrived home from work to find a Cuben version waiting
    for me.

David Ure

@familyguy

Uhhh…that's mine. Do you mind forwarding it? Thanks

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Oh crap Dave, my apologies.
    I will get it out tomorrow :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Folks,

Did anyone purchase the Solomid XL inner yet? If so any pics.

Cheers,

Stephen

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Did anyone purchase the Solomid XL inner yet?"

Yup.

"If so any pics."

Sorry, nope. I haven't even taken it out of the bag yet. I will next weekend though, will try and get pics then if I think of it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

+1 w/Doug. Mine is still in the bag too. 13.1oz Will get pics next weekend also.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Much appreciated gents.

Have a good one

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

yep I ordered a cuben one back on Nov 7th… Have not seen it yet…

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That's a long wait Jeff.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Ah, the great cuben famine of 2014… Ron was left hanging by his supplier for months and so his customers are suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Logan T
    Spectator

@ltt777

He is apparently catching up now so hopefully not too much longer for the guys who have already been waiting a while.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

As the posts above depict, there was a material challenge. No worries here, I have been busy playing with the Altaplex,,, Heard back from Ron and mine is on the build list this week… I will post pics and weights once received.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Just as Ron promised, the cuben shortage is over and my cuben Solomid XL inner arrived this week. I did not have much time to play with it today butI wanted to get a few images up . it weighs 8.5 oz W/O stuff sack and the workmanship is beautiful. I set up the tarp, then added the net, which is the wrong way to do this. It has all the connection points already attached and although I was not able to get the net tight inside the mid I realized my mistake as I took everything apart and my next pitch will be much better.
     photo DSC00971.jpg
     photo DSC00970.jpg
     photo DSC00963.jpg
     photo DSC00966.jpg

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

anyone have there's out this winter? handle winds and snow loads?

thanks

Mike

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

photo IMG_0344_2.jpg
     photo IMG_0342_2.jpg

As I understand it they are Bomber in the wind, but I have not had the opportunity to test that. Here are some images of a snowy night up Big Pine Creek North Fork. All was good, but as you can see there was not a ton of snow. I did have a little bit come through the vent but nothing serious.

The Silnylon is supposed to handle snow better, as the snow slides right off, compared to cuben.

YMMV
    Jeff

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I am looking forward to my Cuben Solomid arriving in the next few weeks. Curious is you experience any looseness of the pole tips inside the pole jack that may cause an issue if too much flex was exerted (ie high wind)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I picked up a Solomid XL off gearswap recently and set it up in the backyard yesterday using my Locus Gear CP3 poles that only extend to 135cm. I want to set it up using my poles in an inverted V but MLD recommends 140cm poles. It did work but the poles were not out far enough to help support the exterior fabric of the shelter. Should I get some pole extenders (maybe 4" extenders??) to make my poles longer to help add structure to the outer fabric in high winds or is that just adding another possible failure point?

One option would be to get new poles, like the carbon ones MLD sells or the Leki Carbon but they are pricey and I have been happy with the CP3's.

Do people use the rear guy out point?

Also when connecting the innernet midpoints do you connect the mitten hook to mitten hook or do you add a small loop of shock cord to add flexibility?

For reference my Solomid XL in cuben is 11.6oz on my scale and the Solomid XL inner in Sil is 12.5oz.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Just use pole extenders/jacks. I found the inner needs the shock cord at the bottom. Mine fits fine the rest of the way up. I have not used the rear tie out with the inner in place. But then I use it mostly without an inner.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Brad,

I use the rear guy out point, but I don't pull it way out there. Only a few inches. I just like having a little extra interior room for my elbows.

Ryan

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

To svelte weight you guys are removing the plastic line locks and adding smaller 1mm line? And doing so saves 1.5 oz?

Great Facebook pics John aleba of the brown solo xl. Some of the best pics I have seen to be honest. I like how you did about 4 different pitch setups. One was like a flying diamond and spread out nicley. I think my 7.9 oz smd net tent would fit inside of this very well. The shelter in a sack with lines would be around 18 oz. Plus 7.9 oz for the net tent.

Total would be 25.9 oz for 360 degree rain protection and full bug coverage and vestibule space. And most importantly only requires 1 carbon fiber pole that weighs 3 oz. So with stakes and everything I guess it's about a 30 oz shelter weight.

Kind of heavy for just a shelter. But i must admit it's a very nice and bomber setup. 30 oz vs a hexamid solo from zpacks? Zpacks would be maybe 16 oz so half the weight. But not as bomber. Hmm…

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

aren't you comparing cuben (zpacks) to sil??

My duomid in cuben, with the cuben floored innernet comes in at a whopping 21.9 oz with all lines attached.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Yes I was comparing them. If i went with a hexamid it would save weight but not offer 360 degree protection. The sil nylon solo xl would also be much more durable and bomber in general. Cost wise the solomid would be about $250 vs a hexamid tarp that's $350 with a beak.

The thing is, the cuben hexamid only weighs like 5 ounces which is crazy lightweight and would be nice to save that much weight.

But 18 oz vs 5 ounces isn't the end of the world. Plus the brown solomid xl seems like it blocks sunlight very nice and I could use it for shade at the beach right? That's why I will be going with a brown xl.

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools