Topic

New MLD SoloMid XL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New MLD SoloMid XL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Added length, width, and can be set up with a single offset pole.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=213

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hallelujah! I've always been enamored with the solo/duomid but never bought one due to the height restrictions. If I were to buy this, my largest concern would be getting my gear wet entering/exiting the shelter during a rain storm. I can't tell by this picture but it seems that I could sleep behind the pole which would mitigate this issue.

.Solomid XL

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Raises the question, will there be an XL Duomid?

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes – I believe using the one pole angled is the ticket. Of course, you can use two poles in an inverted 'V' which solves the problem. I am amazed that for just a couple of ounces, the shelter has grown in width and length.

That there is good MLD VooDoo!

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Regular Solomid has a vent too.

David Ure

@familyguy

Yes – sorry Art. I somehow had the SpeedMid on my brain. Will edit.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I haven't had a chance to look; how is this different than the DuoMid in terms of dimensions?

David Ure

@familyguy

6 inches longer and 1 foot narrower.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

…and 5" lower.

The SoloMid XL seems like a good option for tall hikers who otherwise would want a SoloMid. Wide hikers or hikers who want more space would likely be better served with a DuoMid (+1.5oz). The DuoMid allows a single occupant to sleep in the back half of the pyramid, which is valuable because it keeps the sleeping area outside the reach of rain falling in the door. It also allows for a large vestibule space. With the SoloMid XL you're sleeping area will still be somewhat exposed to rain etc. when opening the door, and the vestibule space is going to be okay but not great.

David Ure

@familyguy

But 2-3" taller than the regular Solo Mid.

And the DuoMid XL does not exist as of today.

Height was never an issue with the Soli Mid for tall folk. Length was.

Many of us have asked for a Mid XL and Ron delivered.

Travis Higdon
    Spectator

@life-goes-on

Locale: PNW

I'm just over 6' and sleep in a 6' bag in warmer temps. But I opt for a 6'6" bag for snow and freezing temps. I also have a 6'6" bivy on order from MLD to pair with my long bag. So this extra length may be just the ticket for a great solo mid/bivy/bag combo for wet winters or with lots of gear. The shorter length is what always pushed me away from MLD mids.

But I'm curious about the extra width. At 48" wide and a single (centered) pole this would appear to allow for two 20" pads. And with the extra height, I imagine that the walls are a little steeper. Could this be used for two people in conditions where you wouldn't have it pitched tight to the ground? Not looking for a 2 person palace, just other ways to use the same piece of gear.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Yea but it would be a tight fit. Also two poles instead of one in "A" mode.

Travis Higdon
    Spectator

@life-goes-on

Yeah, it's probably very tight. I know nobody has experience with this shelter, but for the solomid or duomid users, how close to the wall can you sleep before you have to worry about contact and condensation (ignoring rain splash)? If there's contact with the walls, it's not going to work for two, but if it's just cozy, I can work with that.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Travis,

I have tried the Solomid (regular) and now have the Duomid for solo use. At 5'9" I'm not exactly ginormous, but I save the other half of my Duomid for my dog or my six year old son. Two adults feels tight because of the limited headroom under a 'mid. You wind up taking turns sitting up.

The other considerations are: where do you store your packs (given no vestibule), and who gets the soggy side when it rains?

You might be able to swing the Solomid XL as a 2P shelter on occasion, but there's not much margin for error.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Who's ordered one?

I have one in my cart at MLD. I shouldn't pull the trigger, but…..

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

<—- raises hand. 2 weeks in on the posted 5 week cuben wait and will update when it shows up. I am 6 ft 5 and very hopeful

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I had one delivered earlier this week and took a few pictures after setting it up this evening to seam seal. The pad is a large Neoair XLite with a long sized quilt on top. Keep in mind that it's pitched a bit higher off the ground than usual — about 6" at the foot end and 7" at the head end. After taking the pictures, I lowered it a bit and it had plenty of room for me (6'3") lengthwise. It also seems to be wide enough that keeping sleeping gear protected from the rain while getting in and out shouldn't be an issue — but I'll reserve final judgement on that until I actually get to use it in that situation.

The weights of the silnylon version straight from the package are:

Tarp (pre seam sealing): 17.85oz (506g)
    Stuff Sack: 0.63oz (18g)
    Uncut Guyline: 2.36oz (67g)

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I seam sealed the solomid xl today, so I took a few pics and added them to the previous post.

Lenora Case
    Spectator

@lcase

Locale: Central California

sure is pretty!! (I'm sure that is very, very important)

Travis Higdon
    Spectator

@life-goes-on

Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks roomy even with the large pad. How is the headroom? Any problems sitting up? Is there room for two people to sit inside?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Pretty sweet post here guys!!

Like others, I am very much looking for photos of hikers sitting up inside of this shelter while sitting on a Neoair, so we can have an idea of head-room and whether you hit the fabric or not… sucks sitting up in the morning and having condensation getting your head all wet, eh!!

Do you find yourself hitting the back wall when sitting up because of the single pole placement?

Can you, if you have a longer pole, angle the single pole out further towards the door to get more room next to the pad, yet still have a viably stable shelter?

If the single pole is in the center of the shelter, how much room between your large size neoair and the back wall at ground level?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I took advantage of the short wait times this time of year and placed my order for one in olive brown this evening. Now all I have to do is wait….

It would be fantastic if my shelter search ended here.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Can you, if you have a longer pole, angle the single pole out further towards the door to get more room next to the pad, yet still have a viably stable shelter?"

I could with the Doumid. I don't see why this would be any different.

What I find interesting is that I hardly ever see anyone hang theirs to pitch it and skip the poles inside all together.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

15 days from order to front door in cuben! MLD is on their game right now!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Already decided where I am taking it first. Once I get it of course…

Anyone taken theirs anywhere yet?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools