Topic

CA Drought and 2014 hiking season

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning CA Drought and 2014 hiking season

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Didn't we just see this a week ago in this thread?

–B.G.–

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

We saw it on the other page which might as well be a separate thread.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I have a solution.
    > Dig a pipeline trench from the ocean up to the mountain ridges. With the design of
    > hydrolic'ing, start with a 4 ft diameter pipe at sea level, and keep going smaller
    > till it gets to be a garden hose at altitude. This eliminates the need for an uphill
    > pump.

Congratulations. You have just invented the Perpetual Energy Machine. Pity the Patent Office will reject it without further consideration.

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Doger: "The motion of the ocean will jet the pressure uphill to fill with sea water a plastic reservoir carefully hidden from disturbing a panorama."

Caffin: "Congratulations. You have just invented the Perpetual Energy Machine."

Wiki: Hydraulic Ram Pump

I'm not sure that Doger's idea is sound (friction and all that), but pretty sure hydraulic ram and wave motion pumps are real.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I've been wanting to do that on my property for years, but don't think I have enough fall across my acre. They can only do so much lift. I'll have to opt for a solar pump to pump water into a tank, to be released on the weekends to water the garden.
    Duane

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

IIR, 40' or 50' is about all a ram pump can lift.

So you may be about 7,950' short….

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I'm starting April 18. I am curious if there are ever preemptive closures? Or are there just fire/stove bans?

It's crazy, I was hoping for low snow pack and never thought of the negative impact that has on the state.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Greg and Rodger and all

Yes, I know about hydraulic ram pumps, but the initial claim was 'This eliminates the need for an uphill pump'. A 'hydraulic ram pump' is still a pump.

Would a hydraulic ram pump get up far enough? Unlikely. 8000' of water pressure (to the top of the ranges) is about 3,600 psi. That's static: not counting friction.

Cheers

Brian Crain
    Spectator

@brcrain

Locale: So Cal

"It's crazy, I was hoping for low snow pack and never thought of the negative impact that has on the state."

Thanks James. At least we know who to blame now! ;)

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Some parks in California (like Mt Diablo) will shut down completely during extreme fire danger.

Parts of the PCT are still closed from recent fires (e.g. near Mt San Jacinto).

Best to check with PCTA for the latest news and trail closure forecasts.

— Rex

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

We finally had some precipitation here in California, but not enough to make much dent. And although the 10 day forecast includes some more dribs and drabs, there are no real storms coming soon. Still hoping for some redemption.

snowpack-1

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

It's time to call in Charlie Hatfield.

Hatfield

Charles Hatfied, San Diego Rainmaker, Wiki link

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Four or five more storms like the one this past week and we'll be in fat city! Southern Sierra is now at 26% of normal Feb 10 snowpack.

Mt Tamalpais, in Marin County got 23.51" of rain in the past five days. Woohoo!!

Dr Jeff Masters has a quick summary in today's WunderBlog post.

snow-3

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Snowfall in the Sierra was best in the tahoe-to-sonora section, and dropped off quickly south of that. So Desolation Carson-iceberg, Mokelumne, and Emeigrant wilderness areas did well and anything south not so much. Still quite skimpy compared to average.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"and a new satellite image."

Darn! It looks like the entire Great Western Divide is bare. Now THAT is depressing.

Troubled times……

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

If the Great Western Divide is bare, that will just make it easier on Milly's Foot Pass.

–B.G.–

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

Rain and snow! woot

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Here in So. Cal. there's wet stuff falling from the sky!

My grandfather told me about how it used to do this when he was a kid but I never believed him.

I took my children out front to stand in it.

"Remember this day kids, this here is something special." says I.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

A bunch of us were hiking in the dark here on Wednesday evening. We kept walking through deep rain puddles, but nobody wanted to complain about the water. We needed it.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

This afternoon was the first time this winter where we got a nice hard rain pater on the roof, and I found it very relaxing. I realized that that is the usual effect it has on me in late December when the rain (usually) first starts. By the end of February I pretty much want it to stop before I go insane. Just shows how weird a year this has been.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools