Topic

Bad experience with Jetboil

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bad experience with Jetboil

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I have had a very bad experience with Jetboil.
    I recently took my Jetboil Sumo Titanium cooking system on a trip this summer to AK.

During the trip I noticed that one of fins on the fluxring had come unbonded, I have 15 years backpacking experience and I did not misuse it, boil it empty overheat it.

I emailed Jetboil and got an RA number, I did make the mistake of not reading through the entire email and just got the RA number and sent it in. I got an email back stating that they were not going to cover it under warranty due to mis-use/neglect. They said the cup was either burned dry or boiled empty.

They kept my Titanium Sumo cup and offered me a coupon to buy another one for $75.39

So I spent $7.00 to send in a $189.95 product back for repair/replacement and ended up with nothing…..

BPL community beware!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

These posts always crush me. You guys need to learn how to argue over the phone!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"So I spent $7.00 to send in a $189.95 product back for repair/replacement and ended up with nothing….."

1. Nothing? They offered you a coupon. If nothing else, you got an education.
    2. Always remember to read the fine print.

–B.G.–

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Jetboil went out of there way to help me with an issue I had with my stove. The replaced it for free, with the updated version. Then when my old pot didn't lock with the new stove, they quickly replaced my pot at no charge. Flawless customer service.

I think we should question our expectations about customer service before we get online and bash a company in an online forum. I've seen too many posts lately where I just fail to see the issue thats been brought up. Sorry, but thats how I see it. How is $75 of credit 'nothing'?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Serge,

Was it an aluminum or titanium pot? There have been more than a few reports which have mirrored the OP's experience.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

They did not credit me anything, they gave me ZERO for keeping my cup. They offered me to buy a replacement (an aluminum version cup) for $75 out of my pocket. No thanks, I agree with Bob, it was a $200 education lesson to read the fine print and never buy from Jetboil again.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Call them again and say what you're saying here.

That you expect a replacement.

What do you think of their claim that you boiled it dry and that caused the problem? Would this cause the failure? Did you do it? Were the instructions clear you should avoid this?

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

fair enough, if this seems to be a reoccurring problem. I though they were crediting you, not offering you a discount. I was just surprised, since they replaced my stove upon inspection, and gladly replaced the ti pot when it wouldn't screw on to the new stove. hmmm…I still like jetboil, but there's always the reactor.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

+1 to Jerry's comment.

Restate was you said here and ask them what they can do to fix the situation. If you expect a replacement, tell them. Be polite but persistent.

My nature is to generally avoid confrontation but sometimes its necessary for a satisfactory outcome.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ask for a replacement of the item or the return of your property or you will file a complaint with your state Attorney General. I went through a similar process with Eagle Creek luggage.

If there are that many failed pots, there may be some product safety issues that should be raised. That should make them wet their legal pants :)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

gear does fail … sometime through use, other times theres just a bad batch, and other times theres a design flaw

the problem IMO is that some companies just take a default position of telling the customer its their fault, and then giving them a discount on a replacement … which really doesnt cost them anything as their cost price is likely below that

how a company deals with these issues is a reflection of their confidence in the quality of their products … even companies that dont have explicit no questions guarantees will generally take care of you (patagucci anyone?) if they are willing to back up all the marketing propaganda about their product being the "best"

or simply buy through MEC … this is something they would cover no questions asked …

;)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

At least MSR will stand behind their stuff. Never any issues with parts or replacement.
    Duane

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

What are you going to replace the Jetboil with? Maybe you can give the soon to be released Primus Eta Lite PCS a try.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Regardless of the reason for the product failure, at a minimum they owe you back your own property with you paying shipping. I'm not saying that is the fair or proper resolution, just that it's the absolute minimum they should offer, which in effect isn't offering anything.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Jetboil is by Jetboil. MSR was slow developing a viable stove, so was late to the game. Jetboil has numerous models, so that helps them also. MSR only has two models similar in technology like JB that I know of. I understand though that the MSR stove is more wind resistant. I have yet to get either, sticking to my vintage stoves for the atmosphere and cool factor. 90+ stoves.
    Duane

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Kaleb,
    BPL community already bewares.
    The regular advice here is to buy this kind of gear only from retailers who will accept a return if the product fails.
    Those who criticized you are just blaming the victim. You have a right to be who you are, and that may not be a litigious sole like me.

On another note, it would be nice to see an article here about comparative boiling times and other pros and cons of these Jetboil type sets vs the much smaller and lighter canister stoves.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

This is why I will never own a jet boil. There are much more reliable options out there, esbit for me.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I don't care about boil time, I just care about efficiency – oz of fuel to boil a pint of water.

The newest Ti version of Jetboil weighs about the same as any other canister stove + pot + windscreen. And it should be a little more efficient.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

The old jetboil pcs is utterly and totally reliable IME

The new fancy titanium ones??? Who knows … The extra 1-2 oz lighter is nice i guess, but i like a bit more durability

Ive cooked everything from canned chilli to thick beef chunks frying pan style in mine

Still it never hurts to buy from somewhere like mec with an unlimited warranty

;)

David Ure

@familyguy

I like the almost 8 oz savings over the original versions with my Ti version. Over the past 2.5 years it has been stone reliable. Knock on wood.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

ahhh … but how much do you save over the AL SOL version …

which interestingly enough doesnt seem to have the warning about only boiling water in it on the website

;)

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Don't start me off about Jetboil, terrible terrible company, i'd never buy another jetboil product as long as i live.

Been fortunate enough to dissuade several others from purchasing their products so far.

Used my Ti pot to cook some very very sloppy baked beans, figured they were more fluid than solid so they'd be fine.
    Ended up with this

IMAG0264.jpg

Sad thing is, because of the design it's extremely difficult to keep an eye on the fins AND stir, plus because it sits so snug by the time you do notice it's too late.

Contacted JB as after i search i'd found several others had exactly the same problem, many of which were able to get a replacement.
    Received a quick reply and was told to return the cup, i asked if there was a European dealer than i could send it to as i'm in Greece and was told that there is no warranty on any products sold in the EU.

So it's a company that knows 100% there is a fundamental design flaw with one of it's products, replaces some units, ignores others, then rights off any sales outside the USA as they refuse to warranty them.

I strongly urge any member wanting a stove to look elsewhere, there are companies out there that are more than happy to take your money and WILL look after you if you have problems with their products.

David Ure

@familyguy

"ahhh … but how much do you save over the AL SOL version …"

Don't care, I got a Pro Deal.

Next.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools