Topic

helping girlfriend reduce weight – personal fears

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique helping girlfriend reduce weight – personal fears

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

'A partner who doesn't want to backpack does not indicate a character defect."

Super glad we cleared that up!

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

"A partner who doesn't want to backpack does not indicate a character defect."

True, but it can be a compatibility problem if you like to go backpacking/hiking frequently and your partner doesn't want to have anything to do with it.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

But a partner who doesn't want YOU to backpack is a problem. My first wife thought backpacking was something that guys did in their youth. A mature man should play golf and go to wine tasting parties, so she thought. I discussed these issues with my second wife, so backpacking is not an issue, as far as me doing it as a recurring weekend activity. A partner who backpacks with you is pretty nice, worth making some sacrifices.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> I don't think these are necessarily gender specific issues.

My guy's fear is going hungry. He sees these little bags of dehydrated food that's supposed to be dinner and even though he watched me cook, portion and dehydrate them, he's not convinced. So he secretly stashes Cliff bars. Pounds of them. We have ziplock bags full of Cliff bars that have made a couple of trips…

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"We have ziplock bags full of Cliff bars that have made a couple of trips…"

He needs a "running out of beer" phobia– much handier :) Pssst… BURP!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"A partner who doesn't want to backpack does not indicate a character defect."

"True, but it can be a compatibility problem if you like to go backpacking/hiking frequently and your partner doesn't want to have anything to do with it."

+1 to both statements

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

these threads make me thankful my GF will go on day hikes, snowshoe day hikes, and short overnight trips as long as i keep the mileage and elevation gain in her wheelhouse. I save harder, longer trips to do solo or with others.

she is improving her packing to be lighter. just sewed us a 2 person bilgy tarp tent that works great and only 2lb. like everyone else.. experience lets you leave more at home.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Harry: You realize of course that we could never hike together.
    Sally: Why not?
    Harry: What I'm saying is — and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form — is that men and women can't hike together because the ultralight part always gets in the way.
    Sally: That's not true. I know a number of men hikers and there is no UL involved.
    Harry: No you don't.
    Sally: Yes I do.
    Harry: No you don't.
    Sally: Yes I do.
    Harry: You only think you do.
    Sally: You say I'm going ultralight with these men without my knowledge?
    Harry: No, what I'm saying is they all want to go UL with you.
    Sally: They do not.
    Harry: Do too.
    Sally: They do not.
    Harry: Do too.
    Sally: How do you know?
    Harry: Because no man can hike with a woman who carries too much weight. He always wants to go UL with her.
    Sally: What if they don't want to go UL with you?
    Harry: Doesn't matter because the UL thing is already out there so the hiking is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
    Sally: Well, I guess we're not going to go hiking then.
    Harry: Guess not.
    Sally: That's too bad. You were the only person that I knew on BPL.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Live in a household full of women don't you Steven?

Do Sleepless in Seattle next

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

@steven Very Nice!!

You might have forgotten:

SALLY: What about the women you never go hiking with?

HARRY: We pretty much want them to go UL too.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

"Do Sleepless in Seattle next"

Apology in advance, but you asked for it. How about (after the "Affair to Remember" vs "The Dirty Dozen" scene)?

SAM: She wants to hike in ONLY 7 miles then camp on Valentines Day.
    SUZY: That's like that time my highschool sweetheart and I camped by that lake on valentines day. And we brought tons of great food, and a bottle of champagne… and chocolate. We hung out around "base camp" for a few days, and fished and watched the birds. I sketched and he fed a marmot. (starts crying)
    SAM: Are you all right?
    GREG: She's fine.
    SUZY: And he said "I wish we could say here forever and build a cottage" and I so loved doing that.
    SAM: That's a chick's idea of backpacking.
    GREG: I'd say so. Who'd PM a guy from BPL to go "car camping"?
    SAM: I got hundreds of PMs from women who ONLY want to go "car camping".
    GREG: Desperate women.
    SUZY: Is wanting a nice guy who isn't entirely focused on pack weight and walking all day desperate?
    GREG: It's easier to be killed by terrorists than to find a woman on BPL to go fastpacking with!
    SUZY: That is not true!
    GREG: Right, honey.
    SAM: I don't want to go car camping. I just want someone who can go ultralight with me without falling into weepy tears after only 20 miles.
    GREG: I cried the first time I did a thirty mile day!
    SAM: Bleeding feet! Pure type II fun!
    GREG: Remember the time I vomited all over you after drinking that brown untreated water?
    SAM: That was totally awesome!
    GREG: I had the shits for weeks after that.
    SAM: Yeah, I so love SUL fastpacking.
    GREG: Please. No more.
    (Sam and Greg break into tears)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Bravo!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Pure genius!

How about a Thelma and Louise version?

Hobbit?

FARGO?

The mind boggles :)

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

I predict it will be a bit more challenging if a non-Nora-Ephron movie, but I looking forward reading anything that people come up with. LOL

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Yeah, but I want to to know what Suzy said at the very end. You can't leave that part out.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Just found this thread–lots of good thoughts here.

However, it appears that the OP has left the building and possibly ditched the GF, who in that case should count her blessings! "My way or the highway" and 14-mile days on a first trip are not the way to build a relationship, IMHO.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^^^ what Mary said.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Frodo: The Ring is so heavy, Sam.
    Sam: Ah, Mister Frodo, y'should've had the Ring made from titanium, like my pots! (Sam reaches up to rattle the pots hanging off his enormous pack.)
    Frodo: Sam, what good is the weight savings of titanium when you're going to bring a whole mess kit anyways?
    Sam (hurt): Now, Mister Frodo, you don't really mean that. I'd like to see you stew two rabbits in that 450ml mug of yours.

…later, in Mordor,

Sam: I'm afraid those cursed Orcs stole your mithril shirt, Mister Frodo. And your cuben poncho tarp from The Lady Galadriel. And all your clothes. On the bright side, if you let me carry the Ring for you, your FSO will finally hit zero. That'll be a tale for The Green Dragon, it will!
    Frodo: The Ring is not your burden, Sam.
    Sam: Are you sure? I've had to throw my pots away. Too conspicuous.
    Frodo: GIVE IT TO ME, SAM.
    Sam: Well, Mister Frodo, don't say I never tried to help you go UL.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Aragorn: It is now the fourth day since Boromir was slain, and from the evening of that day we have journeyed from the shadow of Tol Brandir.
    Eomer (astonished): On foot?!
    Aragorn: Yes, even as you see us.
    Eomer: Forty leagues and five in three and a half days! This shatters the previous FKT.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Pete: I've always wondered, what's the devil look like?

Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, there are all manner of lesser imps and demons, Pete, but the great Satan hisself is dirty, smelly, wears nylon pants, wool shirt, and carries a heavy hauler.

Tommy Johnson: Oh, no. No, sir. He's UL, as UL as you folks, with empty eyes and a big hollow voice. He likes to travel around with LT4s. That's right.

Viewing 21 posts - 51 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools