Topic

Zpacks Duplex?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
J-L BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 7:43 am

The greatest benefit of the single wall V4 is that when you have condensation, you can sit up and wipe it down. With my SMD Haven, I am trapped inside the net tent and just have to watch as wind and rain knock drops of condensation through the netting and onto me (same with any other tarp and net tent combo).

I would love to see this offered in silnylon, but that seems unlikely.

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 7:52 am

"Watch the Gear Swap Forum quickly fill up with 'FS: Tent'"

Yes but sadly the resale value of the Twin probably just dropped depending on how the Duplex is priced. Fortunately I'm keeping mine for the rare occasion when I'm hiking with the whole family or as a loaner for friends.

PostedOct 30, 2013 at 8:15 am

Does look very nice, and if i didn't have a couple of good shelters already, probably would get one, but i'm also trying to learn how to be content with what i have if it serves my basic needs practically speaking (nor am i concerned with breaking any speed or distance records). Besides, things can be modified if need be.

Since i've joined BPL, i've become much more the materialist than i've ever been. I use to just go out and hike or backpack, with whatever was handy, and except for some trips were weight was a problem (flashback of the White Mountains), for the most part i wasn't any less happy, as i just really enjoy being out in nature.

I need to get back to that prior mind set more, and that's one thing that i really respect and admire about Nick Gatel here, he seems to really understand and live that philosophy (i just don't agree with making fun of others who don't yet get it).

However, i am still lacking some necessary gear practically speaking. Little things like pots, not that i bring a cookset much anymore.

Confessions of a recovering gear addict

Derrick Whit.e BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 9:09 am

Justin,

Very honest and good point.

Mea culpa! I have also noticed that same instinctive behaviour in myself.

I have a 7 year old son and I pursue hiking and other general outdoor activities, at least partially, as a good example for him and as a healthy antidote to the pervasive commercialism and materialism in our culture, but ironically find myself with an inertia to acquire new hiking gear like a drunkard in a bar.

I do control myself, but still want it. And damn . . . I want this tent badly. The want is so strong it is almost a need.

Derrick

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 9:23 am

"I need to get back to that prior mind set more, and that's one thing that i really respect and admire about Nick Gatel here, he seems to really understand and live that philosophy (i just don't agree with making fun of others who don't yet get it)."

Apparently you haven't seen pictures of his gear garage yet.

I appreciate your opinion on the topic of minimalism and how it ties in to backpacking even though it has some chaffiness to it. But, I disagree.

I'm no zen master but to me, minimalism isn't about forsaking possessions. It's more about having just enough. For some that may mean not taking a camera into the wilderness at all. For others, it means packing a DSLR as it helps them fuel their creative/artistic drive.

To me, upgrading to a shelter (a dang critical piece of gear no matter how you look at it) which offers more utility in the back 40 is a far cry from trading in a Cadillac every other year.

PostedOct 30, 2013 at 10:43 am

Ian, are you trying to convince me that I really do NEED this new zpacks duplex? Because in my mind, I do…….

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 30, 2013 at 10:54 am

Jennifer,

What I'm saying, is that if you don't buy this shelter you will…..

Become so dissatisfied with your current shelter that you'll be forced to burn it while backpacking, then realize that wasn't such a good idea, then rip down half of a pristine forest to create a bush-crafty shelter therefore depriving a rare species of chipmunks their special breeding tree resulting in the extinction of their species.

So unless you secretly hate pristine forests and rare chipmunks, it's your LNT duty to buy one of these shelters.

I'll be in line saving chipmunks just before you.

PostedOct 30, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I might catch flack for saying this, but it's basically a cuben Lunar Duo. And that is not a bad thing, I love our Duo. I like the "rainbow" door zippers idea a lot better than the SMD doors though, the doors on the Duo are pretty small. And it doesn't look like there are zippers on the beaks like the Duo, which I always thought were unnecessary. Nice design. If I could justify the expense, I would have a Duplex in a heartbeat, but I'm saving for (hopefully) a thruhike this spring.

PostedOct 30, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Hi Derrick… oh, i'm very tempted too. Thank goodness it won't work with the titanium stove i have!

Hi Ian,

Well, i was talking about self, sort of self reflecting out loud. Need not apply to others unless it happens to be a pertinent message for another when they hear it. I just realized for myself that there is always going to be something better, lighter, nicer, etc coming along, that i'm going to want more than what i currently have…and that to me is the essence of materialism–the grass is always greener on the other side mentality.

So, i'm trying to curb that tendency within. I think it's a very nice tent, and if someone really needs an upgrade, then why not go for it. I also think Zpacks is a great cottage company to support. Everything i have by Zpacks, i really like.

And like i said to Derrick, i'm very tempted as well, but in all self honesty, i really don't "need" it. That's all.

Despite my theoretical and philosophical musings here, i'm actually a pretty practical type. One of our S2S silnylon packs developed a hole without much hard core use and i decided something more durable would be a lot better for our needs in a practical sense, so i bought a couple of used packs that are much tougher/durable.

BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedOct 31, 2013 at 9:01 pm

In a time when people flock, like wildebeest on their annual pilgramage across the Sarengeti plain, to to the local box store, it is deeply rewarding to see small companies, like Joe's Zpack, stimulate such a fervor.

He's obviously a talented and visionary young man who is deeply committed to customer satisfaction.

In a world where bad news aggressively stares you in the face, it's nice to know people like Joe wake up each morning focused on what his customer wants.

Wow.

Edward Jursek BPL Member
PostedOct 31, 2013 at 9:07 pm

First, I am a big fan of Zpacks. I have spent every night in the field the last three years under a Hexamid Solo or Twin. Yes, the new Duplex looks cool. Still, for the cost alone, I am going to wait and see. I have no plans sell my Hexamid Twin any time soon. I will let you first adopters buy it, test it, rate it, blog about it, tire of it, find some persnickety reason it doesn't "work" for you, then get it on the gear swap forum in a few years. After I get some more use out of my trusty Twin. I can see the posts now: "Loved this shelter! Set it up in the yard twice, but the X doesn't work for my Y. Like new, $495 CONUS." Yea baby, I can't wait. You know you want it! Buy it now guys!

PostedNov 1, 2013 at 10:05 am

Jeff–for winter set up, easy to do: Take a double sized SOL emergency blanket (the PE kind. Cut it to size of your tent as set up, slightly smaller/shorter though. Take some tyvek tape loops as can be found at Bear Paw (or use to be, haven't checked recently) and line it up with your tent bottom guy outs and tape the loops on. (various ways of attaching the "guy outs" or loops of the liner to the tent)

Where the hiking pole will go into the tent and SOL R.B., take a small piece of 1/16 or 1/8 EVA foam, and tape that foam onto the SOL R.B. there with some tyvek tape (just outside perimeter).

Sure, won't last a super long time, but super easy to make, and best part, really decreases the condensation AND increase warmth. Just have to make sure have a little air space in between your tent and the reflective liner.

PostedNov 1, 2013 at 10:35 am

According to ZPacks' Facebook page, there "may be" a one person version of the Duplex on the way.

Jeffs Eleven BPL Member
PostedNov 1, 2013 at 11:49 am

I want modularity, not 'walls'. Mesh is fine for a 'wall', doesn't need to be solid. …I've got a Scarp2 for winter.

I'd like the tarp only/ full bug protection option. …A summer weight Scarp, in essence.

I've been using the Scarp2 shell and a Zpacks double floor with 'great success' (whatever that means) in summer. It'd be cool to drop 1.5lbs (or whatever it'd be)

..maybe I'll just get the tarp… Maybe I'll get some pole jacks and use my Zpacks Hammock tarp instead of buying the Duplex.

Now that I think about it, a duplex tarp AND hammock tarp would be kinda redundant.

I just saved myself $500! Yesss

John Hillyer BPL Member
PostedNov 1, 2013 at 2:17 pm

It will be interesting to see how the floor holds up over time. My 1.0 oz Hexamid Twin bathtub floor is performing great; but I always thought that the insect netting underneath it protected the cuben floor from abrasion and significantly prolonged its life.

PostedNov 3, 2013 at 5:55 am

My solo inner net for my duomid has a cuben floor…and I abused it pretty darned thoroughly during my 19-day JMT this summer, as well as a few trips before that (to try out the systems…) and I have nary a scratch or a scuffle on it. And I did not use a ground sheet. I also am not the best shelter-placement-person…although I'm getting better.

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
Loading...