Topic

Zpacks Duplex?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Duplex?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

This is fun. I like watching the evolution of the design in real time.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Hook and loop door?"

I can't speak for Joe & co. but it looks like the doors just overlap and connect with some kind of d-ring at the ends.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I communicated with Joe after version 3. He said there was no hook and loop on the doors and he felt it wasn't necessary.
    I emailed yesterday to buy version 1 from the bargain bin bin, but someone just beat me to it :(

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I'm really liking version 4. It's like the cuben Lunar Duo that Six Moon Designs won't make.

But I like the overlapping vestibule idea. Might be even better than zippers or hook and loop closure systems. Depends on how easy it is to open and close the flaps to get in and out of the tent. I still can't really tell what the connection is down there on version 4.

I also wonder how durable the cuben floor would be. I have no experience with this, and Joe hasn't said what weight fabric he is using on the floor of version 4. Maybe some of you other posters have more experience with cuben floors and can comment?

I just emailed Joe to suggest two additional tie-out points on the outside "peaks" of the tent so that it could potentially be setup without poles in a pinch. I doubt it would add much weight, but IMO it would make the tent much more versatile and allow for a ready-made backup plan for people with a broken trekking pole.

We'll see what Joe says…

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

zpacks = so dialed

Andrew M
    Spectator

@minerat

Wow, I really like version 3 and version 4. Version 3 (with the larger 4 doors) would be awesome – I love the flexibility that offers.

I just bought an arc pack, and I was about to buy a hexamid twin, but I'm going to hold out to see how the duplex evolves.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I really like V4 as well, especially that the side guy lines attach near the tops of the poles. I also like the overlapping door closure method and integrated bathtub floor. Not as modular as V3, but really not any less versatile IMO. It looks like V4 has features that myself and others have mentioned would be great to have, on this very thread. Hmmm… :)

John Holmes

@jcholmes

Locale: SouthEastern US

1. It had the v4 sized doors (tall and wide).
    2. The vestibule doors could be closed such that the small gap at the clip were eliminated.
    3. The fly could be erected first, then the inner clipped in. This would make setup/takedown awesome in the rain.
    4. It was a 36" wide "solo" size retaining the dual doors ans vestibules.

LOVE the separate inner/ outer design, the small struts in the corners, the zipper less vestibule door design, and the overhang of the fly at the foot and head ends.

I smell one sweet tent coming to market. Go Joe!

Mikkel Filskov
    Spectator

@mikkelfilskov

Locale: UI

I'm also ready to sell my twin and buy either v 3 or v 4 … looking forward to see v 5 :)

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I would like to see the door on the inner net part follow the down the center near the trekking pole then go along the base of the netting. Hard to explain but I think it would allow the net to be unzipped and "hang" closed, rather than opening the door and having it fall either in or out of the tent. I know I'm a bit clumsy sometimes and could imagine myself either stepping on or otherwise tweaking/ torquing the door of the net. The downside i see to the way I just described is to open the door it would require a way of securing the door open.

I also like the idea of a solo-plus version.

my $0.02

-James

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

If version 3 or 4 goes to market, I'll probably hang on to my Twin. Still a great shelter and it'll be great as a loaner or for when I'm backpacking with my family.

One issue I've found with the twin is getting all of our gear under the beak and/or in the shelter is challenging when I'm sharing it with one of my kids. Hopefully this will be resolved with the new shelter.

Bill Wang
    BPL Member

@billwang

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have a cuben haven SMD with inner net tent and it seems like version 4 would shave off 1/2 lb for very similar size and function. Thanks Joe!!!

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

Are these available? I went to zpacks website and could not find them. Only way was to copy and paste the web address, but then there is no way to buy them. Are these still prototypes, if so, does anybody know when will they be available?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Joe is quick to respond and can tell you where they are production-wise.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Are these available? Are these still prototypes, if so, does anybody know when will they be available?

No.
    Yes.
    No.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

John and Justice, I emailed Joe recently. He replied on 25th October after returning from a trip. He said the Duplex 4 had performed well on the trip and he'd be putting it up on the site as soon as he had caught up with emails.
    Keeping an eye on the site. Any day now.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

A video was just posting showing the setup of this shelter. I suppose that means they have finalized the design (??) and are close to getting ready to ship it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NcfUfvV6mw

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

As a PNWer, I thought I wanted the V3 double-wall (which doesn't sound like it's going into production) to help with condensation but after looking at how well you can vent this shelter, I think I'm on board with V4 for the weight savings.

I wonder if there will be a tarp only option?

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Wow, just saw the video. That is a perfect set up. I like it better than the V3 too. Simpler design, plenty of ventilation, less weight and will set up and take down faster.

I happen to have 49" fixed-length poles so it even works for those like me who do not have adjustable poles.

Joe's got his act together, no doubt about it.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Joe…stop it!! You're killing my budget!!!

Does anyone remember the weight of v4? I think I found my Xmas present………

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Ditto what Jennifer M said!

My wife and I have shared the Hexamid Twin, and I can see the Duplex 4 being so much more enjoyable with two doors and equal headroom for both occupants.

I need to start saving!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"My wife and I have shared the Hexamid Twin, and I can see the Duplex 4 being so much more enjoyable with two doors and equal headroom for both occupants."

I also like having the extra vestibule space to store gear in. Trying to get both packs, shoes, etc under the beak of the Twin felt like mission impossible.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

"Trying to get both packs, shoes, etc under the beak of the Twin felt like mission impossible."
    My wife and I actually manage to get all our gear inside the Twin itself. (It probably depends how tall you are, etc.) However, when my wife first saw the Duplex (it was back at version 2) she immediately fell in love with the extra headroom and getting a view to herself. It's the first time she's agreed to buying new gear without me having to do any persuading!

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

This is a great tent for 3 season hiking, assuming it deflects wind well. It is getting dangerously close to the perfect tent for my needs. My only ask would be for a 52" floor width to accommodate 2 Exped LW pads.

Otherwise amazing. The thin cuben floor would be fine with me as I always use a house wrap ground sheet under any tent.

Watch the Gear Swap Forum quickly fill up with "FS: Tent"

Derrick

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools