Topic

Zpacks Duplex?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
Ian BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 11:39 am

John Abela / Hike Lighter shared this link this morning.

http://zpacks.com/shelter/duplex_1.shtml

I like my Twin but it looks like this prototype would work better for me. My only concern since it's using doors instead of a beak is how well will hold up if the wind shifts in the night.

Edit updated link

Erik G BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Very neat addition to the ZPacks lineup. I think the door idea is great. Less weight than zippers, good protection from wind and rain spray, and good ventilation even when doors are closed. I like it. A lot.

I wish there were guyline attachment points at the tops of the poles as well. That's the only thing I see that I would change.

PostedSep 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Interesting, that looks pretty cool – I like the idea of having two doors, and the increased headroom makes the transition to a tarp a little easier for those of us coming from traditional tents. My only question is how it will hold up in the wind.

PostedSep 27, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Very clever door idea. Not one I've seen or thought of before.

I personally like the roof line to go straight across like in my avatar (for more headroom) but I'm quibbling.

J-L BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Neat. Kind of reminds me of the SMD Haven. I agree that guylines coming from the top of the trekking poles would really tighten things up.

Ian BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 12:40 pm

"I personally like the roof line to go straight across like in my avatar (for more headroom) but I'm quibbling."

True but it's nice that this shelter doesn't require a strut to pitch it.

It'd be nice to have it set up with a zippered beak on each side (similar to the StratoSpire II). Obviously would add weight but it'd be worth it during a wind storm.

Sounds like this is just a single prototype for sale. It'll be interesting to see if this or modified version shows up on their website in the future.

EDIT: "It'd be nice to have it set up with a zippered beak on each side (similar to the StratoSpire II)."

I'm following a separate conversation on FB. Apparently Joe made a comment about adding zippered beaks to this design. I need to start saving my lunch money for this bad boy!

Nate Boyer BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I own a Duplex. I can vouch for this monster. It is about the same weight as the twin, but with way more room. The new rain doors are effective.

After spending about 12 nights in the Hexamid Twin, I felt cramped and I was wet during storms. I am fully extended and dry in the duplex. I'm a very happy owner. I believe Joe is still tweaking it before it's officially released.

d k BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 1:58 pm

The questions in my mind are:

1)how high is the center between the two poles? and
2)how low do you need to bend to get in that doorway? It looks pretty low.

I like the simple design.

PostedSep 27, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Been waiting for Joe to make a full-on winter shelter. No doubt it would be bad-a, since all his stuff is.

Derek M. BPL Member
PostedSep 27, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Seems like the groundsheet attached door flaps are a cool idea as a way to deal with windblown rain, but I'm not convinced it's better than a more traditional awning beak.

For one, the beak not only keeps the rain and wind out, but it also provides a vestibule to stash your shoes and any other extra gear you don't want inside the shelter with you (like a wet pack, for example).

The vestibule also provides an area to cook in when the weather is nasty.

I just think that you are losing a lot of versatility when you substitute a true beaked vestibule for a inner cuben door flap. The flap is no doubt lighter, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

This is a purely theoretical argument though, since I've never tried out this duplex tent Joe is prototyping. The general idea of the tent looks very promising though.

Mary D BPL Member
PostedSep 28, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Weight of the Duplex (per Joe's website) comes to within a couple ounces of my GG/Tarptent Squall Classic, so for me wouldn't be worth the $$$. I already have a Hexamid Twin, 17 oz. including beak, stakes, guylines and Joe's cuben groundsheet, and see no need to go heavier.

Of course I normally go solo, with dog if I can find a new one (I'm looking!).

PostedOct 1, 2013 at 3:56 am

I own a Hexamid twin with screen and extended beak. I like the looks of version 3, though I still worry about the ability to vent in heavy rain.

A friend of mine just returned from a trip to the North Cascades where they got some really challenging weather.

The weather conditions he described, as well as watching Michael Glavin's video of the Flashlight 2 has me thinking about how nice it would be to have something like the Duplex v3, but with (protected) fold-down windows up at the tops of the doors for ventilation/views.

And, "Eeek!" $575 is a lot of money for a shelter. Cuben fiber is a wallet buster. I'm considering using a traditional 8×10 sil tarp and bivy for more "relaxed" trips just to extend the life of my precious Hexamid.

Jeffs Eleven BPL Member
PostedOct 1, 2013 at 10:28 am

Version three looks like what I would want. Modular, simple, and light.

Hopefully he'll make those or has an "extra" proto/ demo.

I think it would do wonders for the summer where I am.

EDIT: That door on the inner looks like a tight squeeze!

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 1, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I think I'm partial to V3 as well. Smart use of material and don't have to worry about a failed zipper. I like that it's modular since there's only 2-3 months where I need the bug net. I'd have a sub 1 lb palatial shelter the rest of the year including my stakes and twin sized ground sheet.

Derek M. BPL Member
PostedOct 1, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I have to agree that version 3 would be my preference as well.

With that said, I can't really see how this design is superior to a Six Moon Designs cuben fiber Haven Tarp paired with the Haven NetTent. They look… um… pretty similar to me…

To be fair, the Six Moon Designs version weighs 26 ounces and costs $610 for the pair of items, so the Zpacks Duplex would ostensibly be lighter and (probably?) cheaper.

But the SMD NetTent has a silnylon floor, which seems like it would be substantially more durable than a light cuben floor. The cuben fiber Haven tarp is also 0.74oz/sq.yd. cuben material vs. the (I'm guessing) 0.51oz/sq.yd. cuben material used in the Duplex. The SMD Haven NetTent also has (what look to be) bigger doors, but the Duplex is taller and wider.

So in reality, this really isn't a completely apples-to-apples comparison.

Still I have to say that if I was purchasing one of these two options today, I'd probably go with the Six Moon Designs Haven combination.

With all that said, it's worth remember that these Zpacks Duplexes are just prototypes, and it's a privilege that we get to see them at all. So kudos to Joe at Zpacks for giving everyone a sneak peek at what he's working on.

I personally hope he eventually adds the Duplex to his permanent product line so there is a shelter system out there that competes head-to-head with the SMD Cuben Haven + Haven NetTent, because that combo sure is expensive!

PostedOct 1, 2013 at 7:53 pm

About 40 years ago I saw a tent in a sporting goods store in Victoria, British Columbia that inspired me to start making tents. The fly was urethane coated nylon and the inner tent was 1.9 ounce nylon with mosquito net windows.

The tent below is pretty much the same tent except for different fabrics. I liked the design then and I like it now.

here

Jeffs Eleven BPL Member
PostedOct 3, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Glad to see joe made the door bigger like I asked. ;)

That tent looks like a winner for me!

Hook and loop door?

Ian BPL Member
PostedOct 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I'm definitely on board to order one. As much as I would like the weight savings of #4, I think I'm still partial to #3 (both the net and the tarp) but that's only because I already have the Twin tent.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
Loading...