Topic

6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 376 through 389 (of 389 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Was great to see you Tony, and to meet the family. Thanks again for everything. I know I'm not the only one who enjoys your photo essays. We all appreciate the effort it takes.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
    Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

To everyone who attended the GGG,

I need your help because I showed up late at this year's GGG and missed out on some critical photos.

Dan, from Zelph Stoves, donated over $300 of his stoves to be given away FREE at this year's GGG.

The box originally contained 21 "Venom Super Stoves", 4 "Fancee Feest" stoves, 6 "Modified StarLyte burners" with cap, 6 "original StarLyte burners" with cap, 12 "carbon felt simmer discs" that could be used with the StarLyte burners, the 12-10 stove and Flatcatgear's titanium alcohol stove.

I don't have ANY photos of Dan's Stoves or showing any of the lucky people who was lucky enough to receive one of his stoves.

To anyone who was fortunate enough to get one of Dan's stoves, could you please email me a photo of yourself holding his stove or any pictures you have from the GGG with Dan's stove? (Heck, I don't mind if you take a picture today at your house holding his stove).

Dan made a HUGE and Generous donation to the GGG and the least that I/we can do is to make sure that the photo essay shows his stoves and his generosity.

You can email me any pictures you have to friskyrn @ yahoo.com

$300 of donated gear is a lot for a cottage manufacture.

Thanks for your help…just trying to do right by Dan for all of his efforts.

Tony

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tony,

Thanks for this. I don't have any pictures, unfortunately, but for those at the GGG, these stove kits were in a bin inside the "welcome tent" near the name tags.

I think if the fire ban hadn't been in place, we would have seen a lot of Starlyte kits at the GGG! I didn't bring mine for that reason.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

>>>I think if the fire ban hadn't been in place, we would have seen a lot of Starlyte kits at the GGG! I didn't bring mine for that reason.>>>

Steven, Flatcatgear and Trail Designs were using alcohol….should have brought your alchy stoves or fired up one of the freebee give aways. Ken said he was bringing the alcohol. (fuel);-)

How did you heat your water/meal?

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Dan Yeruski: How did you heat your water/meal?

Modified Jetboil is all I used.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Flatcatgear and Trail Designs were using alcohol…

Yeah, well. Really shouldn't have been. Had a fire extinguisher right there though.

Got many thanks for the Venoms Dan. The Starlytes were a hit as well.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I can't get photos until the weekend. I got both Starlyte models and Ken gave me a carbon felt simmer ring. Action shot at home? :)
    Duane

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Dan,

I brought a Monatauk Gnat stove + Snowpeak bowl on the plane (but no windscreen), bought a canister at a sporting goods store in Morgan Hill (off-brand, but seemed fine) and only boiled water on Saturday night (no-cook food on Friday night). I had enough no-cook food, though, if I didn't want to boil water.

My go-to stove is still the Starlyte and it was great to see your stoves and Jon's Flat Cat stoves, too.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Duane,

If you can take a shot of yourself holding Dan's stove and email it to me, that would be great.

I updated the GGG Photo Essay with pictures of Dan's stoves.

What is missing is a picture of someone happily smiling and holding his stove.

Actions shots welcome too…I can simply add them to the existing set of photos in the report.

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks!

Tony

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Gold Gear wrote:

Sign me up. GOLD Gear will be there again this year. Looking forward to it and the wood and alcohol stove "burn offs".

Did we decide that there would be two wood categories? Natural aspiration and mechanically-aided?

There has been discussion of the alcohol stove burn off, but no firm rules yet, I think. May I suggest two categories: "Limited" and "Unlimited"? "Limited" would be fastest to boil 2 cups of water using 30 ml of fuel or less (given the cold temps and windy conditions last year, this seems like a fair challenge). "Unlimited" would just be fastest to boil, using any amount of alcohol the stove can use.

Any thought of having an Esbit burn off too?

I'm assembling my competition rigs, getting ready.

That would have been great to have some competition of some kind to get a little excitement going with alchy stoves. Good way to have been able to gives stoves away for the winners.

I'll have more to give away next year :-)))))))

It was fun following this thread as it proceeded through it's course and to see the outcome, awesome!!! Ken and John did a super job!!!!

Tony did a fantastic job at doing the Photo Essay….thank you Tony!!!! :-)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Dan,

I didn't receive one of your stoves this year. Ken said something about "Ian you're not in the circle of trust / your loincloth is inappropriate for this gathering / blah blah blah" or something along those lines.

Many of us had a chance to see some of your gear and really appreciate that you took the time to send them to GGG. I previously purchased one of your starlyte stoves with my Caldera Cone and look forward to using it in the near future.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Getting the call that there would be a fire ban a week before the GGG put the kibosh on a couple of things. Who would have expected on in January?

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

News flash: The Bureau of Land Management announced they are creating a full-time position dedicated to the annual Burning Man event. Ken Thompson, current organizer of the very successful GGG annual event in California, was offered the position but after consideration of this unique job opportunity, while he was setting up his new shelter, Thompson turned it down.

"No, no, I'm NOT a burning man! You've got the wrong guy. When Coe Park Rangers say,
    'You can't burn' then I don't burn!"

BLM officials were disappointed Thompson turned down their offer but said they will next look to establish a full-time position for GGG-7 and beyond as this event has grown so large and successful that someone with Thompson's skills is needed to coordinate and maintain safety among the counterculture "UL gear geeks" who attend the annual event.

Thompson said he will consider this second job offer after he decides whether he will keep his new shelter. "I've got my priorities!"

Viewing 14 posts - 376 through 389 (of 389 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools