Topic

6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 6th Annual G.G.G. 1/24-26 2014

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 389 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

********UPDATE 01/17/14 NO VACANCY CAMPFIRE BAN IN EFFECT NO CAMPFIRES NO CHARCOAL FIRES BUT THERE WILL BE TWO PROPANE FIRE PITS FOR OUR ENJOYMENT*******************

With the amount of folks coming out and in hopes of fine weather I am asking that everyone please pack in some water for yourselves. A couple of liters if you are staying overnight both nights. Marc and I will have quite a few gallons with us. I just don't want to see us run out.

Weather

Riding your bike? pedal faster

Whatcha Bringing?

Have something to sell at the Gear Swap Live! in the overflow parking lot on Sunday?

Gear Swap Live!

The 6th Annual G.G.G. is open for registration! See above
    We will be at Henry Coe, like years past. Get there early and have fun all weekend.

Have no idea what I'm on about? Look here

2013 GGG

Register here.

GGG Registration

The basic 5 facts

Who- BPLrs and their ilk

What- It a backcountry social that focuses on finding compatible hiking partners who have the same interests And to geek out on the latest lightweight/ultralight,SUL, and XUL backpacking kit.

Where- Henry W Coe State Park, Morgan Hill , CA

When- January 24-26th 2014

Why- Especially why in Jan. Well, we are wanting to get out. Cabin fever sets in for some of us. It's the new year and spring will be right along. So why not?

How-Your registering makes it happen. Like magic.

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

Will be there, and am reserving this space to make future comments ;)
    Thanks,
    James

Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon

I'm still pretty new to BPL and lightweight backpacking in general but man does this sound fun! I'm looking forward to trying to make it this year. I'm assuming it's open to everyone? Regardless of skill level?? Would be fun to meet folks from the site as well!

Edit:
    After looking at the photos this seems to be where cottage gear makers meet up. Is it open to all BPL members?

kevin smith

@divr6347

dont go

you wont like it

i will be there under PROTEST and that ken thompson guy i just don t know about him hahahha

JUST KIDDING LOL

KEVIN

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yes Slaton it is open to all BPLr's. Oh Kevin, I just don't know if there will be a spot for you this time.

kidding. last chance

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Sign me up. GOLD Gear will be there again this year. Looking forward to it and the wood and alcohol stove "burn offs".

Did we decide that there would be two wood categories? Natural aspiration and mechanically-aided?

There has been discussion of the alcohol stove burn off, but no firm rules yet, I think. May I suggest two categories: "Limited" and "Unlimited"? "Limited" would be fastest to boil 2 cups of water using 30 ml of fuel or less (given the cold temps and windy conditions last year, this seems like a fair challenge). "Unlimited" would just be fastest to boil, using any amount of alcohol the stove can use.

Any thought of having an Esbit burn off too?

I'm assembling my competition rigs, getting ready.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

When do sign ups/reservations start?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I want to go Ken. I won't be UL because I'll have some old stoves. At least three. :) Cannot put in for time off at work yet for next year. I'll want to take off after work Thursday and camp somewhere west of Sac Thursday night, so I could get in mid day Friday. I want to see some Gold.
    Duane

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Airfare doesn't look too bad at the moment flying in to San Francisco. I'm a definite maybe.

I may end up driving down there from Eastern Washington so if anyone from this area or off of HW 97 in Oregon (Bend) want to carpool, please feel free to send me a PM.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I put it on my calendar and I intend to be there. [never mind – doesn't look like I'm going.]

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I have work late on Friday and Saturday evenings, and another show Sunday afternoon, but will try to walk in for a while on Saturday…hopefully with something non-lightweight and chocolate.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

If Debbie's bringing brownies again, count me in!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"hopefully with something non-lightweight and chocolate."

I can easily pass for the non-lightweight part….

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Wait, wha… DOUG is coming to the GGG this year???? Aw, geez – is it too late for me to back out now? ;-)

And yes, Sharon, there should be brownies.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

We can utilize one of the pig traps for Doug if things get out of hand.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Well, dang – our next door neighbors just informed us that they're getting married on 1/25, and we're invited. So I may not make it out to Coe on Saturday after all. :(

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

It's official. The 6th Annual G.G.G. registration page is up and running. Space is limited. Reserve your spot or risk missing out.

GGG Registration

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Anyone going that wouldn't mind picking me up at the airport and dropping me back off at the airport? I'll gladly pay for gas.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Anyone going that wouldn't mind picking me up at the airport and dropping me back off at the airport? I'll gladly pay for gas."

It'll depend on when you arrive but I can probably pick you up on my way down from Washington.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

If you fly into OAK, you'll be right on the way

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I can do Oakland.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Doug –

Depending on when you arrive, another potential scenario:

If your flight arrives in Oakland before Sharon can get there, I live about fifteen minutes from the airport and could probably pick you up, then you could wait at my house for Sharon.

Perhaps the two of you could even ferry some brownies down…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Just wanted to throw it out there…. there are brownies and then there are *brownies*….. I have to take a UA at work so don't feed me the special ones please :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Oooooooh. Brownies….. :-)

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Ian – do you have any idea how expensive it would be to feed everyone at the GGG "special" brownies?!?? Besides, I like my chocolate without any nuts or other alternating substances added (other than butter, eggs, a little flour…).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 389 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools