Topic

Cloudburst 3 vs. Anjan 3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cloudburst 3 vs. Anjan 3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Dave,

Well said, I myself use Hillebergs in Winter and a Tarptent for 3 season.

Edit: Did recently pick up a used Golite Sl3 for using with my Mrs or Buddy.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Another Hilleberg in winter, something much less for 3 season user.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"The comparison is a bit strange. One tent is half the price of the other and much less weight. The Cloudburst also as vertical ends…if you use a long sleeping bag you will hit the sloping end of the Anjan. The Cloudburst has as more usable space. The Cloudburst can be had with an optional 3rd pole making it more suitable for truly poor conditions….including snow."

All excellent points, which is why I'm leaning Tarptent as I said. Money's always an issue but if something is twice as good, or even just definitely "better" (which it is now clear the Anjan is not) I am not opposed to paying ~double for it. However I don't think the comparison is strange at all, especially considering Jason's comment "I am in the process of making exactly this same decision as you."

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Well I went for the CB3 and it arrived today. I set it up but forgot pics so they will have to come later. Initial impressions are that it is exactly what I was expecting. Sewing on the major seams is excellent although some of the attachment points have pretty sloppy stitching which detracts from the look of it as a whole, but won't affect performance.

Some observations:

-It is spacious, easy to set up and adjust, packed size and weight is very close to my friend's 1p Hubba which is awesome.

-It's only JUST long enough for me at 6'4. My feet just touch the mesh with my head right at the other end but since it is only mesh at the doors it shouldn't be much of an issue and because it's so wide I can always sleep diagonal if only sharing with one other.

-I still can't figure out how to clip the side walls up for ventilation as advertised. EDIT: After talking with Henry I finally figured it out. You have to fully unthread the exterior tensioning webbing and then the interior loops will reach the clips to hold the sides up.

-It is a little heavier than advertised: 1500g (53oz, on scales that read slightly under too) in the sack with 4 pegs, noticeably (to me) more than the advertised 49oz (1390g). The seam sealing would account for some of that extra weight so the real difference may only be ~60-70g but that's still a measurable difference and I'm not sure what would account for that. OK 100g is not a huge deal but it is a little disappointing nonetheless. Weight with the clip-in liner (also slightly heavier than spec at ~180g) and the third pole which I would use for winter conditions is just under 1900g, which is very close to the Anjan 3. But the Anjan 3 comes with 12 pegs and a repair kit.

-However the CB3 has 2 doors and more usable internal space than the Anjan, especially for tall people like me with the vertical from and back mesh walls.

Anyway I am still very happy with my choice. The design and construction quality are excellent overall and Henry was great to deal with, although there were a couple of delays and lost communications — nothing severe but it did blow the total time from order to shipping date to about 2 months.CB3

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools