Topic

Cloudburst 3 vs. Anjan 3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cloudburst 3 vs. Anjan 3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Anyone had experience with both of these? Any comments? Seems to me the cloudburst should be able to do everything the Anjan does, with the optional extra pole and liner, for a similar weight, but with the option of going much lighter for warmer weather. But then the Anjan is probably slightly more refined and probably better in wind (or maybe not?).

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

for what it's worth, these guys make a business of reviewing outdoor gear, and they picked the Anjan2 as the best backpacking shelter. The Cloudburst3 hadn't come out yet when they published their article Jan 14, 2013. See their review of the 26 best backpacking shelters at:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Tent-Reviews

They also chose it as the top shelter in their Dream Backpacking Gear List of August 14, 2013.

http://WWW.OUTDOORGEARLAB.COM/A/11136/DREAM-BACKPACKING-GEAR-LIST

"Dream Backpacking Gear List

by Max Neale â‹… Review Editor, OutdoorGearLab
    Friday August 9, 2013 4:08pm

Here we aim to synthesize OutdoorGearLab's backpacking related product testing efforts and present an up-to-date dream list of the best available backpacking gear. There are many different ways to backpack. The items below aim to maximize comfort on "hiking-inspired" and "crossover" trips, where one walks for the majority of the day.

Legend
    1 = If we were to have one item in this category we would choose this product.
    BB = Best bang for your buck.
    UL= Best choice for long days or steep terrain where having a light pack is important.
    SUL = For the tag trimming, sleeping bag sharing, fast and light thru-hikers.

Tent
    1: Hilleberg Anjan 2
    BB: Mountain Laurel Designs Grace Tarp (silnylon)
    UL: Hyperlite Mountain Gear Echo II
    SUL: ZPacks Hexamid Twin Tent w/ screen + extended beak"

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Hi, Bob.

Yes the Outdoorgearlab review is one of the reasons I am torn. The really, really like the Anjan and make it sound like the bee knee's but the Cloudburst to me seems to be a little more versatile. But I have a feeling that the materials and build quality of the Anjan are probably a little superior (could be wrong). I'm leaning towards the Cloudburst but would love hear more from people who have used one or the other.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

nm

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Apart from that single Trailspace review I've heard nothing but superlatives about the Anjan.

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

I can't help with those two particular models but can offer a small bit of insight into the two brands.

I owned, briefly, a double rainbow and currently use a Hilleberg Rogen 2p for backpacking duties.

the quality of construction is incomparable. Hilleberg wins by a long shot. Even my Coleman Evanston 6p (with screen!) for car camping is sewn better than the Double Rainbow I received.

I bought the Rogen over the Anjan because of it's length and double doors. It's a fantastic tent. I hated the price but am over that now and dont think I'll need any other tent any day soon.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Sean, you've said that a couple of times on these forums and even generated a return order for the DR but then never returned it. I see now that you never ordered one from us so not sure where you got it but we would have been happy to exchange it for you had you asked.

-H

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

You could always send me that poorly sewn rainbow. ;) PM me for my address…

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

I sold it on this forum for a small loss instead of dealing with returning it as the loss in shipping and wait for $ would've made it difficult to purchase the Rogen in time for my trip.

I had no interest in an exchange after seeing how poorly constructed it was. As I mentioned in a previous post my wife is the one who noticed all the construction issues. I tried to defend it at first since I had put so much time and effort before picking your tent, but it was hard to do so after she pointed out all the flaws.

frankly, I don't get the love it receives on this forum. I get the whole cottage thing, made in the USA, and I prefer it which is why I ordered your tent to begin with but if that means strings hanging all over, crooked stitching, not waterproof unless paying extra…i just dont get it.

copied from my email dated march 11 this year:

Thank you for your Tarptent order [327271]

Qty Price Item

1 @ $305.00 153 Double Rainbow (Breathable liner: 1)

Subtotal: $305.00
    CA Sales Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $18.00
    Order Total: $323.00

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

@Henry Shires: Calling out people as to whether or not they purchased an item is unnecessary …. Spookykinkajou seems to have simply been sharing his experience …. I'm willing to take him at his word on his experience / opinion without needing him to validate with proof of purchase….

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Ah ok, looks like it was ordered by a family member in another state for you. In any event, if we missed some thread trimming and stitch inspection then, again, we would have been happy to exchange or refund.

-H

EDiT: Trace, not calling anyone out but a return was ordered and then never carried out. We never received a call or email with any kind of query about quality or request for resolution about a defective product.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

A little bit more on the Anjan.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66403

I am in the process of making exactly this same decision as you. Tending towards the Cloudburst myself for the following reasons:

1. Cost.
    2. It will probably only be used a few times each year and in the summer.
    3. Just cant get my head around paying that much money for a Hilleberg and it not being a completely bomber set up:).
    4. Despite reading about one other quality control issue quality with a Tarptent I think they are very clever designs. I still have and use my 10 year old Squall 2 (single pole at the front). On my summer father and son summer trips we have a roomy 2 person bug proof shelter up in minutes.

greg c

@spindrifter

In the context above it appears he is speaking of the experience post-purchase. Ie, evaluating the tent construction quality, etc., after receipt. That seems like a valid point to which he is able to offer an opinion. I too scrutinize products I receive before use and if they do not satisfy my own quality criteria, I take re-mediating action.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I would also want to know how the buyer feels now that he purchased an apparent quality nightmare.

Have to say that thought did cross my mind :).

Sean Smith

@spookykinkajou

The buyer seemed pleased initially upon receipt.

I don't think it was a quality nightmare, but it did not meet my standards for a $300+ tent.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

Interesting find David. I noticed he makes no mention of the poor construction quality in the FS ad…should either give you pause in wanting to purchase something from him or make you think twice about his evaluation.

I have noticed no construction issues in my TT moment — though maybe I just have really low standards.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

A hipster moment if there ever was one.

"Tarp Tent is soooo mainstream and lowbrow. I just bought a new tent from some obscure company you've probably never heard of."

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I have an Anjan 2 and absolutely love it – it has become my go to shelter. Excellent construction, and has done extremely well in all the conditions I have had it in (from the dry Rocky Mountain West to the Olympic Peninsula). I can only imagine that the Anjan 3 would perform as well.

And while I did see the one negative review posted on trailspace, I haven't had any of the issues mentioned in that review (even in moderate to heavy rain).

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"Jeremy, if you have heard nothing but superlatives about the Anjan, then why are you posting the question? Buy it."

Hi Dave,

Helpful as ever I see. I am posting the question because I have heard great things about BOTH tents and can only afford ONE. Can you grasp that?

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools