Topic

Outside Mag calls an urban vancouver trail “most dangerous” top 10 hikes in the world

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Outside Mag calls an urban vancouver trail “most dangerous” top 10 hikes in the world

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

"Everyone has a RIGHT to their opinion, whether you like it or not… If I express my opinion, who are you to tell me I'm a bad person?"

Wait. So I do have a right to my opinion? Or not? I mean, if you express your opinion, sounds like I have the right to my opinion about that…. Or not. Confused. Maybe I only have the right to my opinion if you agree with it?

Will Webster

@willweb

From the Wilipedia definition:
    "The law is sometimes invoked prescriptively to mark the end of a discussion when a Nazi analogy is made, with the writer who made the analogy being considered to have lost the argument"

Works for me.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

"Does that include illegal immigrants?"

Tom,

Of course it does, but that doesn't mean you and I agree on the subject. We most likely don't in fact. Which doesn't mean either of us are bad people. Imagine that.

Ryan

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

how did something on an urban Vancouver trail on Outside Mag suddenly become a political discussion on illegal mexican immigrants?

;)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

This is BPL.

Accelerated drift is the rule.

Over in Chaff it can travel at near relativistic speeds.

It's only a small step from Nazis to Einstein. (see above.)

mark henley

@flash582

I remember when BPL was first starting out, the excitement of a whole new philosophy of backpacking, people going out of their way to help each other out, Bill Forshell and others driving innovative ideas, sharing the excitement of my first 5 lb baseweight weekend. It was an amazing time to be a member of BPL … That was before technology began to catch up. We had to make all our own gear, with few exceptions, because even ultralight gear was too heavy. It was a lot of fun pushing the envelope of what backpacking could be.

Then The air of helpful cooperation ended, replaced by the communication style that happens on this forum with increasing frequency. I was away for several years and I guess I just plain forgot why I let my subscription lapse …. I remember now.

Do you have a right to your opinion …. Oh yeah, you certainly do. But the way people took her comments out of context and verbally attacked her was very sad, and it makes me angry to see someone bullied, even verbally on a public forum. Bullying is NOT a protected right under our constitution. My comments were born of that anger and frankly inappropriate.

So, on with the show … More,fodder for the grist mill … Enjoy.

But you should still be ashamed of yourselves …..

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Dangerous? Seriously? To a city person who has never set foot on a trail.
    How can you really call a trail with steps dangerous? Did someone slip on ice hiking it in sneakers?

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

"Wait. So I do have a right to my opinion? Or not? I mean, if you express your opinion, sounds like I have the right to my opinion about that…. Or not. Confused."

Haha, ZING!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"how did something on an urban Vancouver trail on Outside Mag suddenly become a political discussion on illegal mexican immigrants?"

Five easy out of context words. Your tax dollars at work. Would have been a fine post if only the last sentence was left off. A Troll sentence if there ever was one.

Thanks for the self righteous post Mark. BPL need positive posts to stay a positive place.

Since this is a Chaff thread if there ever was one, I'll go there.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Dangerous? Seriously? To a city person who has never set foot on a trail.
    How can you really call a trail with steps dangerous? Did someone slip on ice hiking it in sneakers?

tourists who dont know any better try to do it in high heels … i once saw a japanese tourist try to get up in efff me boots ….

of course its not really "dangerous"

Tim Jones, a spokesman for North Shore Search and Rescue, was disheartened to see the Grind described as a dangerous climb by Outside.

“It’s horsesh–,” he said on Thursday. “This trail — if you even can call it a trail, it’s more of a staircase — is not dangerous. It’s high-volume, and when you have that many people you are bound to get people collapsing, or dehydrated, or sprained ankles.”

Jones, who has worked for North Shore Rescue since the 1980s and has been on many Grouse Mountain rescues, said that on a busy weekend more than 6,000 people a day ascend the Grind.

“This (article) is doing a real disservice to an iconic path. It is very well managed by (Metro Vancouver), and whoever provided this data should know better. It’s fearmongering.”

Jones said there is a lot of “weirdness” on the Grind, including hikers dressed in ninja or chicken costumes, and people hiking in flip-flops or even high-heels. But he said that is part of its charm, and why so many tourists and locals are drawn to the place.

http://tinyurl.com/kvke6dx

the problem is the quality of Outside Mag's "reporting"

Jason Daley, the author of the article, told the #CBC he's been to Vancouver once but never did the #grousegrind. He says the criteria for his article were a "variety" of trails – everything from guerrilla fighters, to altitude, to "trails close to urban areas that might have a slightly sketchy reputation.">/i>

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/15/bc-grouse-grind-named-dangerous-hike.html

;)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Allergy attack forces me to take allergy medicine. Allergy medicine gives me insomnia. Insomnia inspires me to enjoy some late night BPLing. Late night BPLing brings me to "holy crap how did I miss this thread!?!"

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools