Topic

Outside Mag calls an urban vancouver trail “most dangerous” top 10 hikes in the world

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Outside Mag calls an urban vancouver trail “most dangerous” top 10 hikes in the world

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

That's not dangeruos, but this looks like fun, just make sure you bring your harness and camera.

YouTube video

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Nothing learned from history."

You can't learn from it if you don't study it.

Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

I love my neighbor. But I expect my neighbor to live by the same laws I do. When he decides not to do that, he needs to be corrected. It's not dehumanization, it's honor and uprightness.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"It's happened to every continent and country on this earth, boohoo, cry me a river."

Expressed as only one who has never been on the receiving end, could express it. Soon enough, on a historical time scale, our turn will come. And then we'll finally have enough history under our belts to understand what this kind of tragedy means. Seems like it always has to be that way. I don't fault you, Nick. We're all products of our historical experience, and we Americans just don't have enough of it yet to have acquired that kind of perspective. He!!, it took the Europeans a couple millennia of butchering each other to finally get it thru their heads. Why should we be any different? Oh, I keep forgetting. We're exceptional. Maybe that means it'll only take us 1 millennium?

Edited for spelling

Anonymous
    Inactive

" Love thy neighbor! I promise it is much less stressful if you do."

Does that include illegal immigrants?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"I love my neighbor. But I expect my neighbor to live by the same laws I do. When he decides not to do that, he needs to be corrected. It's not dehumanization, it's honor and uprightness."

During the civil rights movement there were many honorable and upright citizens and neighbors that made sure those criminals were indeed "corrected".

If a law is morally wrong you abide by it?

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

"I love my neighbor. But I expect my neighbor to live by the same laws I do. When he decides not to do that, he needs to be corrected. It's not dehumanization, it's honor and uprightness."

Exactly. That's all I've been trying to say.

"Expressed as only one who has never been on the receiving end, could express it. Soon enough, on a historical time scale, our turn will come. "

No, spoken as someone who has accepted your second sentence as the inevitable. I would be very much surprised if the USA are still THE super power when I die. Who knows, maybe I'll die in the transition? Or my daughter, or her children.

We're not exceptional, and I think that will be proven in time.

"If a law is morally wrong you abide by it?"

It's morally wrong to require someone to go through do process before moving to our country? Even Mexico requires the same. As does almost every other country. Where are you getting these "morals"?

"Does that include illegal immigrants?"

Yes, but just because you love someone, doesn't mean you don't discipline them. Or are you one of those people that don't believe in disciplining their child for fear of "breaking their spirit"?

Dave T

@davet

yo ryan..

i guess.. errrrr…

yes, it's an exclusive list.

perhaps i'm short sighted.

if folks don't want tax dollars spent (even, perhaps, to volunteers, who use the episode as training to rescue fully-deserving Actual Citizens, and might even do it out of some, likely misguided, sense of common humanity) to rescue badly injured women along the border backcountry solely because they are illegal, i'm pretty sure i don't want to spend time with that person hiking in my free time.

perhaps my compassion bar is set at "you must be at least THIS compassionate (and not crappy)" to hike with me.

perhaps i'm missing out on a "teachable moment" and it will be at my loss.

somehow i doubt it.

and i think i'm fine with that.

p.s. i'mma gonna do that them there do process.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

""If a law is morally wrong you abide by it?"

It's morally wrong to require someone to go through do process before moving to our country? Even Mexico requires the same. As does almost every other country. Where are you getting these "morals"?"

We've been talking beyond just the immigration issue. ( remember, the likes of me speeding up how fast this country is going downhill?)
    We've been talking about anyone that breaks a law being a criminal. Then we've talked about laws that to some are just wrong,

So, agreed on "do" process. While you do that "do" process, you could stop treating those that break that particular law as criminals. At least that is whatI am taking about.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

All I see is the injured human. Nothing else matters.

What's with bringing politics into this anyway Drusilla?

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Ok let's just set this thing straight…I'm not politically inclined cause it leaves a bad taste…..it just my opinion that you should know where your money goes, and I do not regret it one bit. I'm not a bleeding heart, I'm a rancher who lives on the border and I have many friends and some relatives from Mexico. Everyone has an opinion and you are entitled to it but please understand it is a very difficult issue to gain clarity on when you live elsewhere. This used to be a very beautiful, wild and untrammeled place, now we are over run with some very dangerous and sad elements. The woman is from Guatamala which is as economically poor as the poorest African country, she is a mother, has a family and saw no other choice but to try to get work here. And I'm not saying it was ok cause it's not, illegal is illegal. If anything you should hate the coyotes who steal their money, abandon them and tell them they are in Texas rather than the truth, that she was in fact in Arizona, and she thought she was near Houston! There's some very bad people taking advantage of desperate people who's own governments cannot support the populace. These are the facts that we hear from almost every illegal we find.
    I had a LOT of compassion for the woman. My husband risked his life to run for help ( no phone service, he had to climb high for reception) in horrendous terrain while I stayed alone to tend her wounds, splint her legs and wash the blood off of her. She was laying on wet ground, and had only soaking wet blankets and clearly would have died. There was no way we could ever leave ANY person, illegal or not laying there to die. In fact the EMTs said she would have been dead the next morning from exposure and injury.
    Compassion and kindness are never wasted. We have checked up on her, she is in a local hospital. She has had several surgeries and will be there for a few months and the will be processed like any other illegal. We even asked to visit her, after much discussion and debate, but she is a prisoner and can not recieve visitors. In fact the border patrol was very kind, understanding and in fact do more rescues than most people know. They told us they'd rather find them alive than dead cause there's enough of that here to gag even the most hardcore.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Why do I even bother..

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Lol, all that typing on a cell phone, and instead of offering intelligent debate, they pick on one single misspelling/mistype/autocorrect, and question your level of compassion.
    I guess this is just a debate that can't be had on the interwebs. ;) Y'all
    "Zis story has become tiresome."

P.S. surprised this hasn't gotten zapped to chaff.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Kat, I, for one, regret that you decided to edit your post. As a non-American, I've been staying out of this debate, but I have lived most of my adult life outside my country of birth (never in the U.S.) and understand perfectly where you were coming from.
    Words and names matter, and as well as reflecting our attitudes, I believe they can affect attitudes too.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks William.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Not worried, I know I'm a kindhearted and compassionate person, I've done a lot more for others than anyone here knows, and I expect the border issue will attract many opinions and not all of them pleasant. It is what it is. I used to be angry about it, but now I'm resigned to just deal with it on a case to case basis. I often regret talking about it, brings the vibe down. In my experience, people north are highly influenced by media and what is NOT told and many truths are squelched and hidden, people just don't want to know the truth so more often than not I don't say anything at all.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"people north are highly influenced by media and what is NOT told and many truths are squelched and hidden, people just don't want to know the truth so more often than not I don't say anything at all."

Probably true, as it is with most subjects.
    I have worked in strawberry fields, side by side with people from Oaxaca. I speak Spanish. I have worked with dozens of farm hands. I have gotten to know some of these "criminals" in their own language. Some were kinder than others, some harder working than others, some more judgemental than others and so forth. Just like us. It is actually painful to hear/ read some of the stuff here.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Yep, I've worked with them too, in the corrals, on ranches, harvesting, building fences and yes they are just like us, human. My (our) only conclusion to the event was that we hope that when she returns home she remembers that there are people here that care and have compassion.
    I'm going to bed, got a hike to do tomorrow!

mark henley

@flash582

I do get tired of the "your perspective is so wrong" and the dehumanizing "you're such a bad person, self righteous, you're such an idiot" lecturing tone from many of the posters on this site.

I personally come here to discuss backpacking. If I want to hear political lectures I'll take a class at the local Liberal Arts college or turn on MSNBC.

Everyone has a RIGHT to their opinion, wether you like it or not, although I'm bombarded with political correctness nazi's at every turn telling me I can't speak my mind. If I express my opinion, who are you to tell me I'm a bad person? You don't know me, you don't know anything about my life, my goals, dreams, or who I am inside. The poster expressed her opinion and was in all respects was almost verbally assaulted for having a contrary opinion to many of you.

And THAT, a basic lack of respect for the rights of others who see things differently than you, IS what's wrong with this country.

You should be ashamed of yourselves, in your zeal, you've actually become what you've argued so vehemently against.

Lets get back to talking about great hiking and lightweight gear … And I for one will be ignoring this thread, and all the self righteous cow manure being spread around here, from now on, no matter which side of the fence the smell is coming from.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

nm

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

awww, spelt…

…never mind.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

"Lets get back to talking about great hiking and lightweight gear … And I for one will be ignoring this thread, "

Oh don't kid yourself. You know it's so much more fun to get people worked up about political, I'm sorry "moral", topics, than it is to argue whether alcohol is better than esbit. ;)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"…although I'm bombarded with political correctness nazi's…"

Only three pages until Nazis were mentioned! Not bad guys!

Godwin's Law at work again!
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

lol Craig.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Where's Hendrik? Heard he moved to Vancouver.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools