Topic

Bake bread with alcy stove and caldera cone?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Derrick Whit.e BPL Member
PostedAug 3, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I am not a lover of esbit because of the smell and the residue it leaves on the pot. But I know that some folks have been able to bake bread using it with limited air flow inside a cone.

I have tried burning a 6g cube in a red bull can cut to 1" high inside a TD Fissure and the cube lasted 24 minutes and did not bring 600ml of water to boil in a 700 ml Evernew tall pot completely contained in the cone. So by using 2 cubes, and increasing the height of the red bull can, I am expecting to be able to get the burn time up considerably – maybe 50 minutes, which should be enough to bake a small loaf of bread.

Before embarking on the testing, I am wondering has anyone been able to use an alcy stove inside a cone to bake bread. And if so, what configuration of pot, cone, stove.

Thanks

Derrick

PostedAug 4, 2013 at 5:15 am

I don't use a caldera cone, but any heat source and pot that you can use in your cone to boil water will allow you to steam bake provided you have your pot setup correctly for such. I steam bake muffins and cornbread very often with an alcy stove with a number of different pots. Essentially, if you can boil water you can steam bake.

PostedAug 4, 2013 at 6:50 am

Caldera Cone, 1.3L pot, lid, 1/2″ x3′ coil of aluminum (for standoff, but rocks will work).

Place dough in a ziplock and steam.

Or place dough in a MYOG aluminum tray with lid and steam.

I learned most of what I know at Trail Quest

PostedAug 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Steam Baking is ok, Dry Baking is much better. Step one – get or make an alcohol stove that can simmer really low. Step two – keep your pot several inches above the stove. You should be able to do this with a standard CC (not a sidewinder). Put stakes through the upper vents to keep the pot elevated. Happy Baking

bread

PostedAug 4, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I don't bake much with my alky stove, but when I do, it is a combination of steam and dry bake.

I do the double wall thing, but put a tablespoon or two of water in the outer container to make the baking more efficient.

It doesn't brown as well as the dry baking method, but cooks more evenly and with less fuel.

My system basically steams until the water evaporates and then dry bakes until the alky runs out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...