Topic

Favorite REPUROPSED Containers…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite REPUROPSED Containers…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

For heating water, I almost use exclusively 16 oz. (holds about ~17 oz.) aluminum beer bottles, 0.927 oz., with a Zelph BudLyte stove. Dual purpose heating vessel and water bottle! (Triple purpose if you carry an unopened one to camp…). I recently found an Arizona brand coconut water bottle of the same ilk; the advantage is the shrink-wrap label peels off completely, eliminating the odd stares (and stares of longing) when someone sees me walking around with a beer bottle in my pack.

For water scoops and such, I like cutting down (square, cardboard) quart milk containers (at a slight angle to create a spout). They weigh about 0.8 oz., and most importantly, fold flat like a paper grocery store bag. At the end the trip, I just recycle them.

For water bottles, I prefer the old-style Snapples over the new style and Gatorade bottles as they have a smooth interior without any ridges to trap yucky stuff. I did replace the caps with orange Gatorade caps, however.

I redid my carbon filter using a 20 oz. soda bottle that has perfectly straight sides; I cut the bottom off, inverted it, and pushed it down inside to hold the carbon in place (of course, I punched small holes in it first…).

Normally, I use a long-handled spoon for eating, but I really like the "green spoons" from my local frozen yogurt place. Not a long handle, but they pack and work well. I'll have to guess the weight at 0.3 oz or so.

Old contact lens cases are great for holding stuff from tubes: neosporin, medication, maybe sunblock, etc. The free ones from solution packages are thinner and lighter; just make sure you use the ones with screw caps.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

My (not super accurate) kitchen scale puts it right at 50g. OMG the Toasted Almond flavor!

My Dad had Lasik surgery, and has been going through a ton of eye dropper bottles, which he's been saving for me. I carry one for bug juice and one for hand sanitizer – happy to take suggestions for use of the others.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Awesome thread!

I've been looking for a plastic spray bottle that holds less than 1.25 fl oz (or less than 37 mL if you will). Anyone have any suggestions?

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

That's funny I was just reading a thread about that and can't find it now. I do remember the two best suggestions were eBay and apparently there are small spray bottles of hand sanitizer. Though on the thread at least one person mentioned that the eBay units didn't hold up well to a DEET bug spray. So if that's your intended purpose you may want to be aware of that.

You may also find some small spray bottles used for eyeglass cleaner.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

A new bottle for Bens 100% DEET is exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep browsing the store shelves…

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

Thanks Sharon, I knew it wasn't the lightest container in the world, but still felt it was a pretty good find with how solid it felt and all of the good other attributes. I'll have to keep the toasted almond flavor in mind. And then I'll need to hit the trail to burn off the ridiculous amount of calories in that stiff! :)

depending on how big your dropper bottles are, you could repackage a soap if you use one (like the famous Dr Bronners). For quick over-nighters, even the smallest size of most soaps is pretty overkill in most cases.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I feel stiffed knowing all the gelato flavors I can't get around here. I might have to console myself with a Sea Salt Caramel tonight.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

> My (not super accurate) kitchen scale puts it right at 50g. OMG the Toasted Almond flavor!

So, if I'm following the conversation correctly, Talenti Gelato is 16 oz capacity for 1.8 oz weight. Efficiency score of 9.

If you folks would be so kind as to give me capacity and weight in ounces, I'll periodically re-do the list in the first post, and we'll eventually have a nice little reference for a number of BPL "favorite" containers.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

I guess I could weigh a rubber, but how would I measure the capacity? I mean, they're only designed to hold a teaspoon or so, but I've gotten one up to two or three liters….

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Right. I suppose reliability is the important variable here–seems the condom, while amazingly efficient, would not be high on the reliability list for keeping large volumes of liquid in (given that they're only about 88-96% reliable at keeping very small amounts of liquid in). And then you'd have to add (or argue not to add) the weight of the layers of fabric needed around the condom for pack carry. And then there's the issue of reliably opening and closing the receptacle repeatedly–it doesn't have a lid. Seems to me the condom is a brilliant expedient solution that is fundamentally different from workaday repurposed containers.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Thank you all for enabling my hoarding tendencies. Here's a sampling of items that "definitely could be useful someday" that I was able to assemble without climbing any stepstools or opening large containers.

plastic containers

Oh, and the spreadsheet is great!

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

That's frightening. I do the same thing and have accumulated a number of cough syrup bottles and measuring cups just in case I decide to try alcohol stoves.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

That is awesome Sharon. I am afraid to pull out my hoarded containers for show..lol. I bet there are others that do this for sure.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Assuming that drawers do not count as " large containers" I think I have you beat c for quantity of bottles, Sharon. Luckily I'm not home right now so can't embarrass myself by posting a picture!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have a bin marked containers. There is an overflow. Still not always the perfect size on hand.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Sounds like you need a bigger container-container.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I couldn't help myself. I apologize.

Adam

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Sounds like you need a bigger container-container."

It's OK. They are still contained.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I now have a pint of gelato. Strictly for backpacking purposes. I appreciate that it is a full pint rather than the reduced volume every other company uses and that Safeway has it on sale. I wish there was a half pint size because that is a really nice looking jar but who doesn't need 16 ounces of Nutella for a few days on the trail?

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

Wow, I feel so much better now every time I open my "repurpose container" drawer and see all the goodies there, having seen yours Sharon….I thought I was getting some strange compulsion to clean, save and stash, but I see it's perfectly normal amongst UL folks. Why just today I snatched a peanut butter jar from the kitchen trash and spent at least 10 minutes scrubbing PB out of it. :-)
    Great thread!

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.”
    ― Catherine Aird

btw, if anyone is having trouble finding those lovely transparent wide-mouth screw-top 16 oz/50g containers, I would be willing to obtain, empty, and send some to you. Consider a PIF.

Duane Bindschadler
    BPL Member

@dlbvenice

Locale: Venice

My favorites are:
    1) Ziploc screwtop 2 cup (40g) and 1.1 cup (35g) containers. Larger one holds my alcohol stove, lighters, and fuel measure (a re-purposed cough medicine measure). Smaller one holds various odds and ends. Both function as cup or bowl for drink/food too.

2) Campsuds bottle (4 oz) for denatured alcohol. Was using small (8 oz) water bottles) but had some bad experiences with leaks.

-DLBVenice

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

since this is only about FAVORITE, I will share .

I took a GIANT Pixie Stix, and cut about a 12" section of the tube.

Basically makes a 0.18 oz , little less than 1/2 " diameter tube, to use to help collect clean water from trickles . A real time saver when all you have is a trickle.

Hard to find giant pixie sticks anymore. I have only found them at ballpark concession stands.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Gatorade Squeezy bottle; not available most places it seems, they only use it for the "G Endurance Formula". 24 oz capacity, 1.25 oz . Only bottle I have found that has a squeezy top like a water bottle but a wide enough mouth so you can shove snow in.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Paul, your Gatorade squeezy sounds like quite the find. Never seen; will watch for it. You say it has a push-pull or twisty cap? Is this it?

http://firstinthirst.typepad.com/darren_rovells_blog_on_al/images/gatorade_endurance_formula_1.JPG

SS updated with the weights and capacities I could glean from the thread. If I'm missing something let me know.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools