Topic

Favorite REPUROPSED Containers…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite REPUROPSED Containers…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Brian Blackley

@biasbrian

Locale: West Tennessee

Old thread, I know… but I can't resist. A few things I've done. 1) Talenti container or peanut butter container: Makes a great coffee cup. Make a Reflectix wrap and secure it to the right circumference with adhesive Velcro (TM). I make an inch of overlap and put the Velcro so it makes a slightly adjustable Reflectix huggie. The tops of these containers have ridges on the edges which will not make drinking easy. I like to grind/file a smooth area around the edge of the lid for my lip. A Dremel with sandpaper works, too. Then I make a half-moon cutout right over that smooth area for drinking. Finally, punch a small hole in the top to make it flow evenly. Makes a great large coffee cup if you're a coffee hound like me. Be careful though… liquids over about 200 degrees will cause melting. I stop mine short of boiling. All of this can be done with a small knife, but a file or a Dremel speeds things up. Works as well as my GSI coffee cup. 2) Large dropper bottles (1.5-2 oz.) for Dr. Bronner's soap. 3) Tang container with the domed top cut off for packaging my stove and supplies… keeps them together, is pretty light, makes an adequate backup container and comes with a top that works as a measuring cup for coffee or water (the lid) if you mark spots on it. Clean thoroughly before using though. Denatured alcohol/methanol is toxic 4) 1 qt. Gatorade or Powerade bottle – drinking. Way lighter than Nalgene, way more durable than a thin water bottle. I share concerns about the grooves inside and the threads, but there's always a tradeoff. 5) 2 liter soda bottle – shower. Use with this gadget. Also paint half the bottle (vertically) black to make it absorb heat better for a small solar shower. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVXXIQQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 6) A plastic 6 or 8 oz. club soda bottle holds alcohol for stove and fits better in my Imusa grease pot for cooking because the bottle is squatty. 7) Larger mayonnaise jar (1 qt. or a Kirkland's 2 qt. from Costco): Works great as a coffee carafe. Wrap in Reflectix and pour your coffee reserve into there. You can cut a spout using the method above in no. 1 and refill coffee cups for group trips. I use this with my pour over coffee cone that makes six cups. I drain directly into the mayo jar and pour cups out of that. Again, temps below 200 degrees only. 190 is even better. 8) Medicine bottles – I stuff these with cotton balls coated in petroleum jelly for fire starters. 9) 24 oz. Foster's can – cook pot.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

1.> ESBIT FUEL CONTAINER – coffee bag W/aluminum foil layer. Thankfully keeps in the fishy smell of ESBIT tabs 2.> BOWL – Cut-down Zip Loc 'fridge bowl just fits inside my Open Country 3 cup pot & my plastic cup fits inside the bowl. 3.> BACK COUNTRY "WALLET" – Snack-size Zip Loc bags 4.> 35 mmFILM CONTAINER – "Mrs Dash" seasoning shaker W/aftermarket shaker lid (Don't know where to get these lids now.)

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

"4.> 35 mmFILM CONTAINER – "Mrs Dash" seasoning shaker W/aftermarket shaker lid (Don't know where to get these lids now.)" Coghlan's film can shaker lids… these are great!

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

In regards to removing odors from containers, there is one substance that in my experience does a much better job than soap, hot water, vinegar, or anything else – fat! Many odors come from fat-soluble molecules, so cleaning with water doesn't do too much. I've had great luck with vegetable oil, though. Just fill the container with oil, wait a couple of days, then pour out the oil and wash with soap. This is also effective if you want to reuse glass jars with odorous lids at home (i.e. pickle jars, salsa jars, etc). Just pour a layer of oil into the lid and follow the same procedure.

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

I use the ball pectin and pickle calcium cloride jars. All of mine are full at the moment but I recall them being less than a jiff jar. comes in short and tall, same diameter

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools