Topic

Best UL container/carrier/flask for whisky or scotch?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Best UL container/carrier/flask for whisky or scotch?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What do people carry?

Anna T

@anzt

Locale: Victoria, Australia

Mine is 'kinda UL' – at best. It's the Titanium Curved Flask from Snow Peak. I love it to bits, and it's one of my hiking luxuries.

I figure that if I'm buying top quality alcohol, why put it in a plastic or steel container that will change its taste?

That said, for extreme UL (not very good) alcohol packing, I sometimes use those plastic squeezy things at the supermarket that have fruit puree in them. The puree goes into my smoothie at home, then I wash them out and dry them, then fill them with a little funnel.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

An empty water bottle.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have one of those Platy wine containers, because it is a different color than a regular Platy. But I rarely bring alcohol.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Rumrunnerflasks.com

Or an empty apple juice bottle

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Plastic vodka bottle I found in the park. Came with booze in it once. Why not again, and again.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Like Anna T., I use the titanium curved flask from Snow Peak.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I use a Platy "Lil Nipper" – it holds 1/2 pint and hasn't affected the taste at all. Sadly they're not being sold any more. PackitGourmet also sells a foldable flask that holds 500 ml and weighs less than an ounce.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Another vote for rumrunners.com. Sturdy little plastic bags with a good top, different sizes. I've used them for several years with no issues.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

plastic whisky bottle. find a cheap half pint or pint of whisky in a plastic bottle, pour out the cheap junk, rinse clean, pour in the good stuff.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

another +1 for platypus. The current .5l works though *I* wouldn't fill it up completely. The "Lil Nipper" is a perfect size though no-longer made. I have acquired a small stockpile for when my first wears out (not sharing :) but if you keep your eyes open they are periodically sold on gear swap. I picked up the last one for my horde earlier this spring.

–Mark

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Mark,
    "The current .5l works though *I* wouldn't fill it up completely."
    Why not? Ha…never mind…

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

OK, those Snowpeak flasks are beautiful…but $120+ ?!

Does anyone know if you can become a sponsored outdoor scotch drinker?
    I wonder if Macallan or Balvenie or Glenfiddich would pay me to sport their logo on a Snowpeak flask…
    Maybe a trail ambassador program?

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

My Sawyer Squeeze came with a .5L bladder. I've been thinking about switching to that.

Adam

Jani Kikuts
    Spectator

@enginerd

Locale: Southern California

12 oz Sawyer squeeze with pop top Full of vsop brandy…good use for the first gen squeeze since I got the ever new for filtering.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Half gallon milk jug? ;) And whiskey IS Scotch in the rest of the civilized world.

Leather covered flask

One of those pint plastic liquor bottles is a good idea.

Pete Garcia
    BPL Member

@pgjgarcia

Locale: Finger Lakes

I also use a .5L Platypus. If they still made those Lil Nippers, I'd probably drink less in camp. Probably.

Richard Seifert

@zmad2000

I use this apple sauce packet. I get it to hold about 3.5oz.

http://www.gogosqueez.com/

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Does anyone know if you can become a sponsored outdoor scotch drinker?"

Can you curl?

http://www.usacurl.org/usacurl//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=355

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"OK, those Snowpeak flasks are beautiful…but $120+ ?!"

They are beautiful, but not well designed, IMO. The opening is simply too small, which can be a pain in the butt to fill and empty. I'm looking to use something else these days.

Anna T

@anzt

Locale: Victoria, Australia

Huh, I've never found it a problem to fill – I just use the supplied funnel.

My one gripe with the flask is that the cap has no attachment to the body, and it would be quite easy to lose.

Yes, they are expensive, but I'm expecting it to last me for the rest of my life, and I derive pleasure just from looking at it and holding it, because it's just so aesthetically pleasing.

Other than that, something cheap/free and light does the trick!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I also used the supplied funnel, but find if you try and fill it a bit too fast, it creates a 'bubble' which blocks any more liquid from entering, even though it's not full. I also wish I'd bought the one you can stand up, instead of the round one (even though the round one is 'prettier').

But definitely well made, and definitely aesthetically pleasing, I'll grant you that!

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

I actually use those thin profile Listerine plastic bottle (small size) as my flask. It works so far and inexpensive…

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

It's not truly UL, but I usually use the small Nalgene bottles… large tops and indestructible. When I'm bringing $50+/bottle liquor on the trail, it's worth it to me to be 100% sure it's well protected

Cheaper liquors (usually Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon), I'll use recycled SEI water bottles — they are slightly thicker than normal water bottles and are flask shaped. Look great and are UL.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I use Theraflu flu medicine bottles…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools