Topic

Best UL container/carrier/flask for whisky or scotch?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Best UL container/carrier/flask for whisky or scotch?

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Israeli air force plastic water pouch:
    http://www.lockpickshop.com/SURVIVAL-FLASK-L.html

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Re: Theraflu Cough Medicine Bottle

Awesome. How much of the cough medicine do you leave in there?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

I went looking for a flask one day. Couldn't find one for some reason, so I went to the liquor store. Walked out with a half pint of Svedka (sp?) Vodka. Cheaper than a flask and I was drawn to the tall, slender packable shape of it. Kinda heavy at 33 grams, but it uses a standard water bottle cap thread, same as Sawyer squeeze bags. Batteries and bottle caps must be standardized! lol. Besides, if I'm bringing alcohol to drink instead of burn, then weight isn't really a primary consideration for that particular adventure.

William McKenzie
    BPL Member

@bill-mckenziecomcast-net

check out Vargo Titanium 8 oz funnel flask. I think $75 and 3.7 ounces

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Wow, over 10 years later from OP

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

HA!  Who says the site search doesn’t work…unless of course it was the googlé that got them here :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Well, an update since my post nearly ten years ago…

I still think the Snowpeak flasks are quite beautiful, though I still haven’t mustered the courage to spend the money…But it sure would’ve been a good return on investment if I purchased one when this thread was posted.

And no more empty water bottles for me. If I’m drinking whiskey I’m clearly not doing the sort of trip where ounces matter to me. So I have found myself using a 20 year old steel flask that I’ve grown quite fond of.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

For my single malt scotch whisky, I use the 8 oz food grade plastic bottles they sell at REI.  If I am taking more volume to share or for longer trips, then the 500 ml platypus bottles.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

This was indeed a fun trip down memory lane…I’m still using the same Platy Lil’ Nipper for my Scotch.  My biggest problem is bringing it home after a trip half full and not remembering what I put in it.  I’m pretty sure I’ve gone from a single malt to a blend more than once…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I upgraded from the Snow Peak round titanium flask to the Snow Peak titanium sake bottle. Carries enough for a three-day trip with enough to share with whoever I’m hiking with.

The last time I went backpacking my good friend Jerry simply carried a bottle of single malt, the original glass bottle. Gotta love Jerry.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“My biggest problem is bringing it home after a trip half full”

Hmmmm. I’ve never had this problem…. :-)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I’m sticking with a simple water bottle. If the plastic doesn’t make water taste bad, it’s sure not going to make my bourbon taste bad. Also, I’m cheap and lazy, so water bottle it is. I also kind of prefer the hobo appeal of liquor in a plastic container. My backpacking friend, who collects bottles of bourbon like a kid collects Pokémon cards, concurs.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Toaks makes a fine titanium flask . . . 150 ml.

Andrew D
    BPL Member

@andrew-d

Locale: Eastern Coast

I received a sample pack of 55mm x 180mm mylar packs meant for adding powders to for prepackaged meals. I have added Bailey’s Irish and instant coffee / peppermint schnapps and instant cocoa in some and am able to get about 100ml in them while still being able to heat seal without spilling. They weight less than 3g a piece, but of course are disposable. :(

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools