Topic

Adventure Medical Kits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adventure Medical Kits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I haven't carried more than some leukotape (wrapped around my trekking poles), a couple of bandaids, some aspirin or tylenol and a small tube of neosporin as my med kit for quite some time. In the summer I add Body Glide liquified powder for chafing.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with chafing?

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"For prevention, it's compression base-layers."

I use the Body Glide as a preventative instead of waiting for the chaffing to happen. I also used a pair of compression shorts on my Sierra hike last August (instead of the usual Ex Officio boxers) – but not for chafing. Come to think of it, though, I did sweat a lot (as usual) and don't remember needing the Body Glide, so the shorts must have helped as well.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

"Am I the only one that doesn't have a problem with chafing?"

I usually don't, but have some not so fond memories that pushes me to pack a little zinc oxide cream (also doubles as my nose & cheek sunscreen).

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

While working as an automotive technician in Palm Springs, one August we had an unusual series of tropical storms originating in Baja, Mexico. Every day the weather forecast called for highs in the 115F – 118F range with a 90% chance of afternoon thundershowers. This went on for 3 or 4 weeks. As you can imagine, working in an open air service bay was not fun. After a couple of days I developed a painful rash in the area of my thighs and groin. Washing at night and using talcum powder did little to help. Finally I went to a drug store to buy something to help. The pharmacist was very helpful. He explained that I had “jock itch” and that is was a fungal infection. He further said that the presence of fungi is not unusual, but with the right combination of moisture, warmth, and time the fungi causes an infection. The hot moist air, and me sweating constantly was promoting the fungal growth and infection. He also explained that people who are overweight get a similar rash, but it is more from skin rubbing on skin and against clothing – he called this chafing. Both result in similar results and pain. With either problem, loose clothing is best, especially fabrics that wick moisture away from the skin. Skin-tight shorts that wick under loose clothing often helps.

He suggested that I buy an off-the-shelf anti-fungal spray, after work each day shower and carefully dry all areas completely, and apply the spray. And it worked. Each morning the rash was gone and I felt as good as new. I would get a little discomfort towards the end of each day, but repeating the process daily made life bearable. And when the humidity decreased, the problem went away completely.

Chafing happens when the skin rubs against skin or clothing and there is a lot of perspiration or moisture in the affected area. Applying a lubricant such as Body Glide or similar along with a wicking base layer helps most people. If you are overweight, fix that problem first so your thighs or buttocks don’t rub against each other.

One problem backpackers have is keeping these hinter areas clean. Whenever possible a good daily (minimum) washing and drying is necessary. Since I am rather skinny chafing is never a problem. Hiking in hot, humid weather can be potentially by problematic. For this kind of weather, when I must wear long pants, I wear a pair of Ex-Officio Boxer Briefs along with a pair of Rail Riders Eco-Mesh Pants. The briefs wick away moisture and the mesh panels on the pants keep things ventilated, plus the pants have a generous cut and loose fit. Mostly I wear shorts when hiking. My favorites are Patagonia Baggies, which come with a brief liner and pockets to carry stuff. I cut out the liner so there is plenty of ventilation. When I don’t need pockets in my shorts, I wear Patagonia Field Shorts. Loose and plenty of ventilation with both of these shorts. Colin Fletcher’s Second Law of Thermodynamic Walking explains how this works: “Give your balls some air.”

Except the one time I experienced jock itch as an automotive technician I have never had a problem with chafing or fungal infection. And I don’t need to wash the hinterland daily when backpacking.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

For anyone that lives in the south and works outside what Nick describes is part of life.

I never knew what exactly what it was, we always called it heat rash but it would fire up in the spring and make my heiney and thighs even more unflattering.

Nick doesn't usually get it cause its dry where he is, and now i usually don't get it cause in live in the PNW and its usually not hot enough.

Regarding chafing i lost weight and the chafing stopped. Rubbing skin? I also now wear syn boxer briefs as opposed to wool. Done and done.

Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools