Topic

Adventure Medical Kits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adventure Medical Kits

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've heard that before

It seems like Acetaminophen shouldn't be used

And Aspirin has problems except when you have a heart attack or maybe a "baby aspirin" every day or two

So, Ibuprofen would be better?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Last year I "discovered" that Acetaminophen seemed to work better for arthritic pain in my knee than Ibuprofen. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth it.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Oh just because someone is from a higher lattitude makes them more prone to sunburn?!? Huh Dave?

I have no time for your racist epithets.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

This thread just turned into a Portlandia skit.

I'm offended!

Wha… what?

The rules of PC code section 854 subsection (a)(iii) clearly states that "at no time shall you say anything which may be offensive to anyone, anywhere, at anytime no matter how unreasonable the victim may be"

How the heck am I supposed to comply with that?!?

First we're going to enroll you into sensitivity training. The brown shirts…. I mean… PC counselors will supervise you to ensure that anything you say or do from this day forward will be as inoffensive as vanilla ice cream.

But I just wanted to buy a first aid….

Shush! You can't call it "first aid" anymore!

Why the heck not?

Because your "first" priority is to ensure that nothing you say or do is offensive.

So if someone's bleeding…..?

You stop and assess the situation. You must assume without assuming what the person's ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and shoe size is and avoid any topic which may run contrary to their beliefs. Then you may only address them as "person of injury."

Then I can stop the bleeding?

Whoa slow down there psycho! You then need to conduct an "Offense Threat Assessment."

To be continued…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Sean,

I hope this has been helpful.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

While we're on the topic, I went to the renowned Din Tai Fung dumpling house for my first time today. The sesame buns were amazing, as was the wonton soup. Service was excellent. Fortunately, my wife and I got there early enough to avoid a 2 hour wait.
    Highly recommended. A worthwhile cause, but it might take me a while to sample the whole menu.

Surfed the Channel Islands yesterday. Real Good Stuff. Will surf again tomorrow though I fear conditions will be blown out. Large enough swell but the onshore wind might be a bit high.

Heading to the Salton Sea on Saturday with my wife. I'm thinking I'll stop for a vanilla date shake at Hadley's. It's been years since I've had one. Can't really remember if I liked it or not.

So who watches Game of Thrones?

David Ure

@familyguy

Game of Thrones makes me feel gay.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

>But I just wanted to buy a first aid….
    >Shush! You can't call it "first aid" anymore!
    >Why the heck not?
    >Because your "first" priority is to ensure that nothing you say or do is offensive.

LOLZ, you da man Ian! ;) Imagine the revised NREMT skillsheets…

This thread reminds me of why I enjoyed the comedy of Carlos Mencia so much. He called out every group (his included) and made fun of their foibles, everyone laughed with everyone else, and he helped us realize that we're all human and we all have our weak spots. Too bad the PC BrownShirts would crucify him if they could. All in the name of tolerance. They'll make ya tolerant 'til ya die.

Of course its not tolerance they want, it's acceptance and obedience. But that's a post for another day, when someone asks "hey does anyone here like cuben fiber?".

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Apparently in the days of yore there was no shortage of waxed, sculpted, or mascara wearing hawt men.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I was looking for some Chaff. Found it!

My straight niece was the first women to ever win the Transvestite of the Year at the World Famous Tranny Shack in San Francisco(where else?). We are proud of her.

As she says about her husband. "It's like he's gay. But he loves me."

She'll have a double scotch. He want's something chocolaty.

Hey Craig. Did you know the Salton Sea use to get more tourists per year than the Grand Canyon?

I made up my own medical kit. Check those expiration dates on those sets you people.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

Oh, almost forgot:

1) Perhaps the best thing about Adventure Medical Kits products are the kit containers and

2) I loved David Thomas' posts in this thread.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"…as inoffensive as vanilla ice cream"

But butterfat has been considered offensive by the Jenny Craig Alliance for a long time now.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

This has really turned into a rather queer thread, don't you think?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Well, when there's a 6 page thread on replacing an Adventure Medical Kit from less than two months ago, a new thread can only go so far…

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

As a medical professional, we ABSOLUTELY make assumptions about your health status by your appearance. diagnoses are made by identifying clinical patterns: female, fat and forty? High risk for gallstones. If you are fat I am going to assume you have diabetes even if you say you don't (unless you've had blood work in the past month). If you are a construction worker I will assume you have bad discs in your back. I could go on and on and on and on…

We are discussing medical stuff, David is a medical spouse, I have NO doubt he's lumping the appearance and behavior of an individual into a pattern of a possible clinical presentation. It's what medical professionals do…

He made no judgements about the guy being (possibly) gay…just that his appearance and behavior puts him in a category that really is at a higher risk for developing HIV. Just as a highly tattooed person is at higher risk for having hepatitis C, a fat person has a higher risk of heart disease and diabetes, etc.

Seems like you're being a bit overly sensitive.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Looks like a duck, acts like a duck…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I'm having a hard time figuring out who's facetious and who's serious

I guess it's not important

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Sorry, that's bull.

First off, being gay does NOT equate sexually transmitted diseases. Maybe if said individual was a prostitute or an adult film star, since those have track records of individuals contracting the disease, but simply deciding on loving the same sex is not enough to say "He has an STD." An individual's right to privacy doesn't equate "He has an STD" either.

We can beat around the bush, but at the end of the day, ASSUMING HE HAS AN STD IS DISCRIMINATION.

I don't caps often, but when I caps, it's important.

Let's check prejudice at the door and let this quiet down as a misunderstanding, or less-than-optimal wording. Everyone makes a mistake once in a while, I throw around a slang word once in a while and it's not the end of the world.

What we should NOT do is start rationalizing it.

Also, David knows more than most about the medical profession but I hardly think that makes gut-reaction-diagnosis his purview. And there's a big difference between obesity-related illness and a gay individual's sexual health; One is based on observable fact and one is based on social contract.

/end rant

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

And one more thing,

There are five thousand opportunities when being younger than the average BPL user is an opportunity for me to learn from the wise. This conversation feels like an opportunity for the wise to consider learning from me, since my background might be a lot more unbiased than a lot of people's (by nature of decades of accepted discrimination that I blissfully avoided).

2013 is not 1980- being gay is no longer some fringe sexual deviance (if it ever was). Most homosexual individuals in today's world are smart about protection, smart about STD's, and just as capable of taking care of their health as any straight couple.

The idea that STD's and homosexuality are linked is archaic.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

According to the CDC stats Male to Male sexual contact accounted for 30,000+ infections during 2011

…about 5 times all the others combined.

Archaic it is not.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/basic.htm#hivest

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/msm

This has been taken so far out into left field that there's no reason to stop now. Health care professionals and anyone who's in a position to render first aid should always assume that their patient, regardless of an affinity for the Pet Shop Boys or not, have a communicable disease.

The scenario David explained several pages ago (coincidently the last coherent thought on this thread) was about a concerned physician and an uncooperative rafter…. raftee… whatever. Patients are notoriously lousy advocates for their own health care. I can't tell you how many times I would ask my patient very specific questions about their health where they would withhold critical information from me. You apparently don't understand this and that is fine because the bottom line is….

Son, we live in a world with disease, and those diseases have to be treated by healthcare professionals and medicine. Who's going to do it? You five finger vibrams guy!

Crap. Now I need to make a run to Redbox.

Darn Jeff's 11 and darn my slow typing thumbs.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

This is the best show I've seen in weeks! Keep up the good work.

My $0.02, An openly gay friend of mine disclosed his previously secret HIV pos status to me, privately, before a group of us went on a day hike on Mt. Laguna in SoCal. He was worried he might get bit by a snake or attacked by a mountain lion, and I'd be exposed while rendering first-aid. I told him something along the lines of, "We're only five miles from the cars, and the ranger station is right over that hill. There's no first-aid when a mountain lion rips your head off. And besides, I just assume all you faggots have AIDS anyway." We're still friends.

Brandon Guy
    BPL Member

@brucky

Locale: Central Cal

From that CDC Site

In HIV testing–"19% of MSM tested in 2008 were HIV-positive" MSM = Men who have sex with men
    "Of MSM who tested positive for HIV in 2008, 44% did not know they were infected."

Those statistics would lead me to take certain precautions before treating a bleeding gay man.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I'm sorry, but those CDC statistics don't support the reality that HIV infections are a thing of the 90s.

With todays educated society, everyone uses protection so nobody has diseases, so really there isn't even a need for people to worry about the protection anymore.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Max, I'm not disparaging your sentiment, and I'm not trying to get embroiled in any politics, but lets be clear, making an assumption about, categorizing or mis-categorizing someone doesn't constitute "DISCRIMINATION".

Treating them unfavorably because of that categorization or mis-categorization, *IS* discrimination.

That's a seriously big distinction, and you should be careful to understand the difference before holding everyone to your ideals, no matter what they may be.

If I assume you're stupid, based on your misuse of a word, it's not discrimination, although refusing to provide you with a service that I would offer everyone else, based on that assumption, whether or not it's true, would be, by the definition of the word, although probably not by social "standards", yet.

P.S. I know that last part is pretty provoking, I'm just trying to make a strong point. I apologize for how it sounds, I don't think you're stupid, and I understand where you're coming from, just not the rhetoric. Your post from the previous page speaks in a *lot* of idealistic absolutes, and you'd do well to remember that we all live by our own ethics, regardless of how certain you are of yours.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools