Topic

Anybody tried the Exped Lightning 45 and 60

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anybody tried the Exped Lightning 45 and 60

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

…and I agree with the comments above, except about the bear canister. I carried a BV450 with no problems.

Huffing and puffing with Thousand Island Lake and Banner Peak in the distance:

Day trip up to Lake Catherine from base camp at west end of Thousand Island Lake (note the compression):

On trail near the shores of Garnet Lake:

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I just got one, but will returning it. From previous comments I had hoped that it was a tall pack, but that is not the case, it's merely not a short pack.
    Unlike Luke, I want the pack to stick up well above my shoulders, this helps keep weight on your hips and over your feet. Load lifters should come down at about 45 degrees for the most efficient carry. Of course, that is for a pack of this size (~50l) and packed weight (~15-25lbs). If it were smaller, for a lighter load, I'd be quite happy with the length.

This is the 45 and it is huge. I wish it were less 'deep' to keep the weight closer to your back.
    For me, a few inches taller frame, along with a pack bag that was shallower front to back would have been perfect.
    The frame length is about 24 inches.
    That means, the overall pack is about 25" tall, and 11" deep. For best carrying with heavier loads and to keep the volume from getting too huge, I think a ratio of 3;1 or so is better, say a 9" deep pack that is 27" tall.

Lightningoutside

Lightninginside

The lumbar pad sticks up above the hip belt, and creates uncomfortable pressure at that spot. I love a good lumbar pad, but this one is to high up.

Lightningnoperson

The top of the bag does not have much of a collar to form the roll top, a little more fabric here would make that easier.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

dave,
    good point, i had forgotten that. my torso length is 18.5" from top of iliac crest to C7.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I have a 19" torso and the frame extends high enough on me for the load lifters to extend up at approximately a 45 degree angle. When I get a chance, I'll load it up and snap some profile pics to post. I wonder if either (1) I wear packs high on my hips or (2) you wear packs low? What pack, and size, fits you comfortably?

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Recently got a Lightning 60 to use on family and extended solo tramps. Used for four days so far, carrying about 30lbs each day (ate food but had to carry more water as trip went on). Overall I am pleased with the pack. Weight transfer to hips is excellent. Definitely superior to the Elemental Horizon Aquilo I had initially been intending to use for this trip and a major improvement on my Gossamer Gear Gorilla at weights over 25lbs. The only thing I would change is the hipbelt, as I prefer more flexible and less heavily padded hipbelts and I also don't like sewn on hipbelt pockets.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I was in Bozeman for a race and stopped in at Prolitegear and they happened to have a couple of Exped Lightnings in. Sooooo….I've been looking for a pack w/ a little more volume and the ability to carry a few more pounds than my Hornet 46 for shoulder season and winter. My young grandson has just started backpacking w/ us, so a bigger tent and the need to carry some of his stuff also necessitated a larger pack. Based on the good reviews (here and elsewhere), the Lightning looked like a strong candidate. The guys loaded up a 60 for me, adjusted the frame length- easy to do and I ended walking out the door w/ it (well I had to pay for it first :))

I'll post up my impressions from the field in a couple of weeks.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

How are folks getting on with the pack?

I have a Lightning 45 on the way to try out as interested in the adjustable harness.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Apparently the new version run the compression straps behind the pocket, also add a hydration port.

Most of the reviews I have seen are positive.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Stephen- they did change up the side compression straps to run behind the stretch side pockets; there is also a port through the bottom of the "top" zippered pocket (which means routing the hose out the zippered pocket), no sleeve for a bladder though

Mike

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Mike,

The changes do sound better, if I like the older version I may get the new one instead.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

There are very few backpacking items I don't customize. The 60 model would make a very good winter pack for bulky items like winter sleeping bags, etc. with a few mods.

1. I can see re-routing the hydration exit(s) to suit me.

2. I'd relocate the bottom outboard compression strap buckle above the side pocket by two inches. (Unstitch and re-stitch) That wah the pocket is useable while the pack is compressed.

3. The top can stand to have a light compartment/fannypack attatched with small QR buckles.

4. Side pockets can be added with the addition of either small cord loops sewn on or light QR buckles. Their attachment should be made adjustable to accommodate backcountry skis and cinch them tight.

Just sayin'

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Eric- w/ quick release buckles it would be pretty easy to add a top pocket, there are already two straps down the sides that you could attach it to (you can cinch down the roll down top two ways)

#2 has been taken care of by Exped w/ their new packs, the compression strap now runs underneath the stretch pocket

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Folks,

I took delivery of the 45, the fit is very good but when the bag is loaded up I can feel the T bar, its not hurting, I just notice the bulge in it.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

You can (carefully) bend the frame back to where you don't feel the T-bar. The frame is removable btw.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thanks Luke,

I will try that.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Just got back from a four day trip into the Pintlers and have to say I like this pack. It carries very nicely and there are several design features I really like. The adjustable frame is really nice, no more should I get a Medium or Large, this pack can be made to fit torso length precisely to your liking. The hip belt is to die for, probably the best of any pack I've owned-very comfortable, easy to adjust, roomy stretch pockets-wonderful! I like the roll top feature and I really like still having an accessible "top" pocket to keep things handy like hat, gloves, ditty bag, etc. We got rained on at least once every day out and the material seems to very water resistant; it also seems very hardy. I thought the side stretch pockets looked too short, but it swallowed my 1 liter platy w/ no problem (had my pack rod&reel in the other.

The shoulder straps are nicely padded up high, but the padding quickly thins out- too much imo- we're talking fractions of an ounce to continue the thicker padding to termination. I'm not completely sold on the 360 compression setup- too many damn straps, going too many damn ways. I've always liked a nice large front stretch pocket, this pack doesn't have one. With a wet a tent fly and the need for quick access to my rain jacket, this really drove this point home. A couple of small stretch pockets on the shoulder straps seems like a no brainer, this pack lacks them.

Yes a few nit picks, but overall this is a great pack. I'll be keeping my Hornet 46 for shorter/lighter trips. Longer trips and trips into the shoulder season/winter, the Exped will definitely be getting the nod.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Mike,

I sent you a Pm.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I originally purchased an Exped Lightning 60 back in early 2013 and generally liked the pack, however, I had to return it because the hipbelt was slightly too large for my 30''-31'' waist. A couple weeks ago, I happened to take a look at the Exped Lightning 60 on REI's website and noticed it said it fits waists 27.5'' – 52.5''. After double-checking this with Exped customer service, I once again ordered the pack.

I am happy to say that the pack now fits my waist! My weight/size is unchanged since 2013 and I now have about 1.5'' of extra webbing on each side of the hipbelt when it is fully cinched.

Additional changes I have noticed from my 2013 pack are:

There is now a small cutout area on the back of the lumbar pad to allow room for the bottom fastener (so now you don't feel any bulge through the lumbar pad)

The side compression straps can now be routed under or over the side pockets

It almost seems like Exped read this thread and then made changes to their pack! Anyway, I am looking forward to trying out this pack and its suspension system.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Black is to be available too in 2015

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I've used mine on several other trips since my first report, happy to still say the Exped Lightning is a keeper :)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Mine is still looking good after two seasons of use. When I have to carry heavy loads of water I reach for this pack every time.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Mine came in right on spec: 2 lbs 6.9 oz vs REI's 2 lbs 7 oz.

FWIW, Exped told me the Women's version will fit a slightly smaller waist (and I presume the pack would weigh less, too)

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools