Topic

Anybody tried the Exped Lightning 45 and 60

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anybody tried the Exped Lightning 45 and 60

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Right. The 24" will be to where the load lifters are, I presume.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

"Right. The 24" will be to where the load lifters are, I presume."

That would be my guess. My Torso length is 20-22 depending on the hipbelt. Some hipbelts ride lower on my hips while others need to go a bit higher. My guess is I'll only have 2-3 inches sticking up which should be acceptable for me. Remember I would probably only fill this pack up to full capacity once or twice a year. For people carrying a packraft or a bear canister my nitpick over torso length is probably a non-issue.

David Ure

@familyguy

So are you going for the 60 or 45? Based on specs, it looks like the 60 is just a smidge taller with a little more depth.

Avery S
    BPL Member

@aveman

My lightning 45 showed up today, and it's a pretty neat pack.

The suspension does a really, really good job of getting all the weight onto the hip belt, which is big and cushy. I also was initially annoyed by weird pressure of the lumbar pad, but the sensation went away completely when I loaded it up with climbing ropes and gear.

This 45L version weighed 38.7 oz on my scale (with tags), so not much lighter than the 60L. There is a 0.70 oz top strap and 0.35 oz ice axe bungee that can be removed.

It would be possible to remove the hip belt completely if I cut the end of the webbing that snugs the bottom of the bag to the hip belt. As many webbing ends are, it is sewn bag onto itself to keep it from slipping through the ladder lock. This double layer of webbing is too thick to go through the lightweight ladder locks on this pack. The load lifter straps are not sewn back, and as such they can be switched to the higher set of load lifter ladder locks. The bigger problem is that without the hip belt, there is no anchor point for the stay, and without the stay, the shoulder straps lose their main connection to the pack. So while the hip belt can be completely removed, the pack can't be used without it. Why do I care? I'd like it to function as a "bag with straps" for climbs with a long approach in the Sierras. My opinion is that it is unusable without the hip belt and stay. My fault for trying to get the bag to do something it was definitely not designed for!

With the hip belt as separated as I could get it without cutting the pack, it weighed 9.5 oz. The stay is 2.55 oz.

The side pockets seem as difficult to use as they looked with the compression straps tightened. These straps are very light webbing. I'm a little bit worried about the plastic rings that they thread through over long term use. I was able to secure a Z-lite (full length) to the side of the pack by putting only 3 of the 4 diagonal straps over the pad, and the other one under. I had to work to get the 3rd part of the strap over. In general, I don't think these straps would be good for heavier or sharp things, like snowshoes.

Overall, I think it's a really good pack, and a bold design. They have gone one step further than I've seen in terms of eliminating EVERYTHING that doesn't contribute to the load carrying ability of the pack. Obviously I haven't tested it, so this is somewhat meaningless, but I think it's only competition in terms of carrying capacity to pack weight ratio are the HMG packs (from what I have read) and probably external frame packs.

Since I want to avoid bringing a daypack for climbing trips, I won't be keeping the pack. The extreme design of the Lightning 45 is very cool, and I think that having toyed around with it for an evening has helped me understand what compromises I am and am not willing to make for my next pack. If I wasn't a climber, it might be a different story!

If anyone has any questions about the pack, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Anyone had a chance to use one of these in the field yet?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Not here – I ended up returning mine. The hipbelt proved to be too big for my waist.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I unfortunately predict that will not be an issue for me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

John. What size Evernew bottle is in the pocket?

That's good news Jani. Also the answer to my next question.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I ran into Luke this weekend on the trail and he was trying out the 60. My bet is he'll share his thoughts soon. I got to try it on and I'm interested enough to order the women's 45.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

That's a 1.5L Evernew in the side pocket. It barely fit.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I tried out an Exped 60 as Leigh mentioned. Here are my initial thoughts. First its a big pack, I think it might actually be more then 60 liters. Second even though it was not loaded up with a heavy load it was very comfortable. Once I had the adjustments dialed in I don't think I changed it for the remainder of the trip.

This may be more pack then most UL hikers need but if you want a UL pack that can haul more then 40 pounds this is one of the few options out there.

I'll put together more info later.

Jani Kikuts
    Spectator

@enginerd

Locale: Southern California

An overview video by pack designer now on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKX3m8BnovY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

John Finney
    BPL Member

@guavarex

Locale: Zürich, Switzerland

Hi all,

My current pack is a 2002 Mountainsmith Auspex which is finally worn out; here in Switzerland (limited UL options), trying to make up my mind between the Lightning 45 and a Laufbursche huckePACK. The latter is lighter, while the Lightning clearly sports extra load transfer capability with the T-frame.

I'm interested to hear a field report on the Lightning 45 (or 60), esp. from someone who has similar experience with a frameless pack like the huckePACK.

My intended use: my US trips are nearly always 5-7 days, 25 pounds or so, about 1/2 of time with a bear canister.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

24" stay per Exped FWIW.

Keith F

@hamerica

Locale: Northern Virginia

I picked up the 60 on sale at campsaver for $200 a little while back and I just took it for a 35 mile packrafting trip. The pack carried 30lbs of gear like it was nothing, all the weight is transferred to the hips and the load is very stable. I hardly felt anything on my back since the only contact points are the shoulder harness and the lumbar pad, in 90+ temps it kept my back pretty cool. I have a 20" torso and I had to set this between small and medium so if you have a really small torso I don't see how this pack would work for you. I did notice at first the stay was above my head and thought it would bother me but it really was not an issue. The pockets could be much better, I can get a water bottle out without taking the pack off but it is really tough to get back in. If they made the pockets a little larger and angled them forward a bit it would help. The compression system makes using the pockets difficult as well but not impossible. All of the contents in my pack stayed dry for the trip, however I think if this thing used a more waterproof fabric it would be the ultimate packrafting pack. All in all I think this is a great pack, definitely the most comfortable heavy weight pack I have ever used. If you need to haul 30+ pounds I recommend trying the lightning and if you can find it on sale it is really a bargain.

Just wish they sold the black in the US.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Just wish they sold the black in the US.

+1

Thanks for the update. Very tempting for me.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

There is a fairly long thread on this pack from April.i am interested in this pack but want some info on load handling and comfort.

Has anyone got MILES on theirs yet. How do they like it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

+1 w/Kevin What's the word?

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Well seems like good info. But I was hesitant so I ordered one from Campsaver using 20% of code.
    I really hope it's the comfortable UL load hauler it seems to be.
    If any one has got miles they might post some updated thoughts.

I ordered the 45, I will right it up once I gets some miles.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I received the 45L flavor this morning (Campsaver.com's free shipping is very fast) and plan to use it on a 2-night trip this weekend. I'll post my initial impression shortly thereafter.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Alex,

let me know what you think. Mine will arrive Monday 8/5 so i guess i can give some updates also.

I am probably more excited about this pack than any other i have ordered.Not sure why but it is just so slick. we shall see what my $175 bucks bought me…

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I was able to fiddle with it a bit at work and liked what I saw. When I got home I packed it with my normal summer/fall Sierra load, including a small bear canister (BareBoxer Contender 101)and a liter of water, adjusted the torso length until it felt good, and went for a walk around the neighborhood. The pack was very comfortable and very little weight could be felt on my shoulders. It was also very stable and I'm surprised how well the hip belt conformed to me. From my past experiences, less padded, pliable, hip belts work better for this, but so far so good.

After about a 45 minute walk I returned home and unpacked. I noticed a small defect (missing cover fabric) on the shoulder strap where the sternum strap connects. I called Campsaver.com this morning and they handled the exchange impeccably! So I won't be able to use it this weekend, but should have a new one before next weekend and hope to use it on a trip then.

Nit-pics: I really dislike the compression system. It works well to reduce the volume, but it's fiddly and awkward to use. I'm going to deal with it for now and see how I feel about after a few trips.

The load lifter straps are difficult to pull?! It feels like the webbing is binding up in the glide. Hopefully this will subside with more use.

That's about it for now. I'll post more after a trip with it.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Just received the Exped Lightning 45,Green, today and so far I really like it.
    Loaded it with 23+ lbs.which is my winter kit, 3l water, 5.5 lbs of food.
    It was very full as all of the gear,food and water were in the rucksack.

This pack is great at putting weight on hips. I hiked about 2.5 miles in it and found it very comfortable.
    I also found the compression straps different but work well. Load lifter straps do pull hard but seemed to loosen after several adjustments.

I will right a proper review after several trips. But as it stands now I would recommend this pack.
    I think I would not have noticed another 5-6 lbs. its so comfy.

Desert Dweller

@drusilla

Locale: Wild Wild West

I noticed when I was in the big city of Tucson last week that Summit Hut is carrying the Exped Lightning.

John Finney
    BPL Member

@guavarex

Locale: Zürich, Switzerland

I just finished a 7 day, 82 mile, 16000 feet trip in the Sawtooth mountains of Idaho, where my new Exped Lightning 45 (black) received a good workout. One first step of first day, pack weight was around 33 pounds with 10 pounds of food, two liters of water, and 750 ml of bourbon. By end of trip, clearly the weight was about 15 pounds less.

Overall, the pack performed very well, with three nags:
    (1) The suspension running down the spine is annoying. I would gladly take a little extra weight for two struts and not have to adjust (often) to shift the pressure point on the spine. Not a deal killer, but not as comfortable as my old Mountainsmith Auspex, which otherwise has a very similar design.

(2) The internal two-sided pocket is deep, and presses on the upper back accordingly when it hangs down. This is easily resolved by lifting it up and placing it on top of the pack contents before closing the roll top.

(3) The cinch straps go across the side pockets, making water bottle entry a hassle. Simply anchoring the cinch straps two inches higher would resolve this, but such mods exceed my very limited sewing skills.

Pluses:
    (a) The hip belt is very good, with roomy pockets.
    (b) The bag shape maximizes useful volume.
    (c) Pack fabric very tough.
    (d) Adjustability is a breeze.
    (e) Cinch straps are effective, simple, and very light.
    (f) Black color looks cool :)

I was able to hang food (about 13 liters worth) rather than use a bear canister. In a canister zone, I would recommend the larger 60 liter size.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools