Topic

Pack Weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack Weight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

All this talk of packs has reminded me I need to buy a big load hauler to replace my Catalyst.
    Oh well that's going to keep me occupied at lunch breaks for a while :-)

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

My take on pack weight is that people tend to exaggerate when they talk about how comfortable a pack (or its weight) is. They'll say:

"It carried like a dream." (?? Huh. What does that even mean?)

"I had it loaded with 30 pounds and I forgot I even had it on."

"Didn't even notice the five extra pounds."

This happens at least as often with people talking about heavier packs as it does with ultralight packs. Max seems to think people on BPL are way slanted towards UL. Well, I know I've read plenty of the "carried like a dream" nonsense about heavier packs too. When they're talking about thirty pound loads I have a good idea how non-"dreamlike" that would be for me.

I don't care what people _feel_ like saying (out of enthusiasm or out of an attempt to justify their gear choices). I know for a fact that all else being equal, carrying fifteen pounds is better than carrying seventeen pounds. The difference may not be great. But it exists. And it's incremental. Add more weight and the difference grows. Add an ounce and there will be a difference. I might not notice it, but I _know_ carrying an extra ounce is something to be avoided, all else being equal.

I understand that there may be a five pound pack that may make carrying, say, 23 pounds of cargo (28 total) an overall more comfortable experience than carrying that same 23 pounds in a two pound pack (25 total). In that case the extra carrying comfort added by the heavier pack must outweigh the bodily discomfort and wear and tear that gets added by its three extra pounds. As others have already said, this is unlikely to happen if I'm already very comfortable with a (well-designed and well-fitting) lighter pack that's appropriate for my cargo weight. Moreover, I don't think it's something someone can tell me; I need to test for myself; proclamations of "carried like a dream" and "didn't even notice I had it on" are not helpful. At most they tell me that you like your pack (which is of course good for you).

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Stephen,

I've got a Kelty 90L if you need a load hauler. Search my Red Cloud on Gear Swap and see if that's what you're looking for.

Cheers,
    MD

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Cheers Max,

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I think "poor man's McHale" is possibly the best way of putting my opinion that there is. It's 2lbs too heavy and not as custom-fit, but I could do worse. I said it before; If it's not awesome, I have a return policy to fall back on, but as I also said before, the Gregory Baltoro isn't the point of the thread.

Sorry for the delivery. I'm sure nobody's losing too much sleep over it, but I could probably toss around a few more smiley faces and caveats to make it clear that I'm not challenging anyone here. Thanks for the feedback.

I have to agree with those who say there's a difference between 15 and 20lbs, but I also have to address Cesar's very good point that there's a spectrum of enjoyment. The enjoyment difference between 15 and 20 pounds might be non-existent for some users, and very present for others. To each their own.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Unless you have figured out a way to defeat the laws of physics…"

I know, let's eliminate the Higgs Boson so that our gear won't have any mass!

Why didn't we think of this before?

Plus, we can quit purchasing more Higgs Bosons.

–B.G.–

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

If I were a rich man, I'd buy five different packs along the line between UL and overbuilt, and then go do five week-long hikes. Soberingly, I've got to finish my undergraduate and then pay for it. I try and make due by listening to other people's experiences so when I do get out and hike, I'm better off than where I could have been.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I figure if a pack weighs 1 pound more I won't notice. More than that I start noticing.

So if I want to reduce my pack weight, I have to come up with enough improvements to total 1 pound or more or it doesn't really matter.

Cutting holes in tooth brush handle or cutting margins off maps – waste of time, except maybe it puts me in the right mindset so I can come up with enough changes to be noticeable.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Jerry,

If you cut the handle off your toothbrush, cut the margins off your maps, cut the tags off your shirts, trim the extra webbing off your bag, cut the belt loops off your pants, take the stuff sacks off your sleeping bag and mat, swap your shoelaces for shock cord, take the daisy chains off your pack, and unwrap your CLIF bars, now you're looking at a pound.

-Max

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Nah, a man can't have too many Higgs Bosons, Bob. But what we really need is a Higgs Boson reversal button on our GPS or iPhone. That way, I could minimize my pack's mass, merge it with yours as bosons like to do, and then have you carry it for me until we get to the campsite, when I hit the Higgs Boson reversal-reveral button. Life would be pretty darned good, don't you think? For one of us anyway…

Viewing 11 posts - 151 through 161 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools