Topic

Lets see your GEAR ROOMS!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lets see your GEAR ROOMS!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I don't have photos handy at the moment, but my situation sounds similar to others…

With the exception of clothes and sleeping bags which can be hung in the extra closets or folded away in drawers, the rule for our house is the the inside of the house must be kept… house-like.

So, no sleeping pads hiding out under beds, equipment stacked up in corners, ti cookware doing double duty around the house, etc. I have to keep all of this stuff hidden away outside of the living areas.

The good news is, I've got pretty much the entire two-car garage to be my man cave instead, so it's filled with surfboards, paddleboards, climbing gear, snow gear, camping equipment, bikes, skateboards, tools, etc.

Not a bad deal really…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Similar situation as Nick B here. The only exception is that I have a home office. That is also my domain. However if we have company, the office is used as a spare bedroom. Gear can be left in the office is my son visits. If in-Laws visit, then I must make alternative living arrangements for my gear.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

Daryl:

I hope to one day have a box labeled "ponchos", and I'm very jealous of 12 to 16 feet of open table.

Juliana Cho
    Spectator

@choyoyo

Some of you guys have an impressive amount of space for your gear! We only have a gear closet, but I am looking forward to my future gear room.

gear closet

We keep on the top shelf: loaner z rests, maps, bear cans, and sleeping bags
    On the hooks: hats, packs, tent and fish scale
    In the drawers: all the small things, organized by category
    On the floor: trekking poles, tarps, repair stuff in a box, and rope.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

"With the exception of clothes and sleeping bags which can be hung in the extra closets or folded away in drawers, the rule for our house is the the inside of the house must be kept… house-like."

So no tent as art work above the TV???

After seeing that pic in Peter's post, I started getting some decorating ideas. We have a fairly big living room with a really high ceiling with a fan at the top. What about hanging a mobile made of tents from the fan and have it slowly spin around? That would be be art! My wife would probably go for it, at least temporarily, as she usually lets me amuse myself to keep me out of real trouble. Unfortunately, the only free standing shelters I have anymore are car camping tents. Too heavy. :(

One thing I've noticed is that it looks like everyone is very organized but by type of items. I do that for my extra stuff but I also have a storage tub labeled just backpacking that contains the stuff I take 90% of the time, then one for stuff that sometimes goes, winter stuff, etc. If I didn't keep it pretty much ready to go, I'd never get out of the house. Is that just not visible here or do some of you just take a stove out, a pad, a shelter, etc.?

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Spent all Friday afternoon cleaning out our regular closet and moving everything from the coat closet to the regular one.

Having a 1 bedroom apartment, our gear had been lying around all over the place; behind the couch, in the regular closet, in the coat closet, under the bed, etc. etc.

Now, everything is in the coat closet. Our gear finally has the home it deserves!
    closet
    Only thing missing in there is my girlfriend's new sleeping bag that comes saturday.
    closet2

I'm really lucky to have a girlfriend who loves backpacking as much as I do. Makes converting a coat closet into a gear closet really easy (but laborious) and she's just as excited as I am to have a whole gear room when we get a bigger place.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I can't believe how organized some of you are!!

I have a man cave that serves as my gear room and it's a mess (gear is everywhere!). If it wasn't for my gear list, I'd never know what I own. My gear list holds my complete inventory and I pack my gear based on whatever I check off on my gear list (depending on season and type of trip). Finding the gear can be a challenge as the room and closet is full of fly fishing gear as well as backpacking gear. You guys are making me feel like I need to re-think my system… maybe I just need to go for a hike tomorrow and get the images of your tidy gear rooms out of my head!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have to keep mine tidy or packing for trips is a pain.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I don't own enough stuff… yet. I'm starting to have those "Where's my spork?" moments, though.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

"Empty beer cans and denatured alcohol ARE my kitchen."

HA!

Jon Christensen
    BPL Member

@jonnyc

Locale: Midwest

I'm late to the party but here my utility room/gear room.

gear room
    other side

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

1. My wife lets me keep most of the clothes in our walk-in closet and chifferobe. I am sure she would not be thrilled if I posted pictures. Also she has this silly rule that I must wash all clothes before putting them away, outer garments excepted. But, I'll post one anyway :)

clothes closet

Above: Most of my hiking down and base layer clothing are on the top shelf (right). Those shoes in the center are her working shoes. Her casual and dress shoes have a separate storage area, so me buying gear is a non-issue. Stuff I can fold go into a chifferobe (whatever the heck that is).

Below is the storage in the garage. Might seem like a lot of gear but some is for camping/boating. Also it is an accumulation of almost 50 years of gear.

Gear Storage

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

Jon and Chris = HOLY S H I T!

I thought I had a lot of gear…

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

If I show my wife your pictures, maybe she'll stop complaining. Then again, probably not.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Now have a full extra bedroom to use as a gear room/closet/office.

gear room

gear room closet

Yay.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

So, are those ultralight high heels? Are they made by Salomon or Inov-8? ;-)
    edit sp

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Holy crap some of you guys have a lot of gear!

Jon… I am in awe. Did you rob a gear store?

maria nobles

@hilltackler

Locale: the valley

I feel so normal when I read this forum! I wish I had an actual gear room. This way none of my gear would get lonely…lol! I have it in a couple closets and bins

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

Locale: Ohio

Just finished putting together my new gear shelf. Everything fit until I realized my pack rafting gear was at a friends house.Gear closet 1Gear closet 2

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nice job Maggie!

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Joel Stephenson

@fooby

Locale: Northumberland, UK

You guys have impressive gear rooms! I have a gear-door, along with a gear-under-bedside-cabinet.

gear door

gear cabinet

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

Bout time I hop on this train. My extra room has no guest bed. There's 3 different sleeping pads in the house to choose from.

Maggie Harlan
    BPL Member

@maggiemaeflower

Locale: Ohio

Yep, Ikea Ivar storage system.

Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools