Topic

Your fav solo winter backpacking tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your fav solo winter backpacking tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My choice would be a Hilleberg Akto or similar, with guy lines tie-outs midpoint on each ridge to handle snow load.

Maybe a heavy duty main pole and an interior X-ing pole beneath the fly.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I don't own one yet, but I have been lusting over the Hilleberg Unna. I think it would be the perfect solo winter setup for me. I tried out an AKTO and Soulo in a store, but the AKTO was a little to short (verticle wise) for me. I though the solou whould work for me, but the extra room on the inside of the Unna would be of greater benefit and flexivility to me.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I really like the Hilleberg Soulo.
    Would prefer if it was lighter.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No regrets after buying an Unna. It's a rock in the wind.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

palace for one and if needed for two not so bad, especially if you have the optional vestibule.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Hilleberg Unna. A winner in all seasons.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For a guy who has a Scarp 2, I wonder why not a Scarp 1?

Here is my favorite winter shelter…

winter 2008
    Winter 2008

winter 2009
    Winter 2009

Winter 2011
    Winter 2011

Winter 2012
    Winter 2012

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice Nick

Sometimes when I camp like that, and it's windy, a lot of sand and grit blows at me and into my sleeping bag

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"Sometimes when I camp like that, and it's windy, a lot of sand and grit blows at me and into my sleeping bag"

Yeah, that can be a problem. Last Feb a bunch of us got hit with gusts up to 50 mph (not in the weather forecast) and temps down around freezing. Two out of 4 shelters collapsed, the other two were tarps that were still standing in the morning. Tarps can't eliminate all the sand though. I was fine with no shelter, except a creosote bush as a wind block :)

no shelter
    Here I am setting up my shelterless bed.

I have had good luck in really bad winds with my old Chouinard Pyramid, but it is heavy. The Scarp 1 with cross overs can probably handle just about anything we would see in the desert. But it is heavy too.

I have a Trailstar on order for windy weather, I think it is going to do well pitched low.

We shall see.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

When I see the word "winter," I think of merciless wind, temperatures that unpredictably can drop below zero F., sleet, hail, bottomless drifts of deep snow, post-holing, maybe with some driving rain, but only when it is interspersed with the former; and sometimes, less than half the time, sunshine on snow. From now on, I will understand better that "winter" has different meanings in different places. Nice photos!

David Ure

@familyguy

I have decided to start spending my winter season with Nick. Those pictures look like they are from my summer season.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

My favorite winter shelters that I have owned:
    Golite Hut(now called Shangri-la) – not so light
    GG Spinnshlter(spinnaker) – lighter
    MLD Patrol(cuben) – even lighter and more durable

All of these because of the way they perform in harsh windy conditions.
    They can be pitched in full protection mode.
    Snow slides to the ground.
    They won't collapse from wet snow if properly anchored.

If wind was less of a problem, but VERY heavy snow is a possibility, my Oware Alphamid(or any good pyramid).

All of these shelters are light and flexible enough to use as a summer shelter as well.
    You can't say that about most 4 season shelters.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

The one that I have that trip. (Yeah, a cop-out, I know.) Here's yesterday's favorite.Nook on NCT

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"From now on, I will understand better that "winter" has different meanings in different places."

Oh… I didn't catch that the OP meant snow. Well, where I live I can choose what kind of weather I want to hike in. If I want snow, it is less than an hour away. If I want warm, it is less than an hour away. My location does not determine what weather I am forced to hike in. I can hike in any weather I want in winter. I like choices in life. So if I want snow, I can go. And when I tire of it, I can leave quickly for warm winter weather. Both are less than an hour away.

March Weather
    March weather.

or

March Weather
    scarp 1

Take your pick.

P.S. I am just being mean. My wife said I had to stay home this weekend :(

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Nick,

Great photo of your Scarp 2 and MSR Lightning Ascent 'shoes.

Geeze, great minds think alike. I too have the same gear. Wish I had a great mind, the best "gear" of all.

You are a gentleman of exquisite taste. ;O)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Thanks, Eric.

Actually it is a Scarp 1.

3 of the desert pictures in my first post are in your backyard. Every December I do a trip in Southern Nevada.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Scarp2 and Ascents here too!

Eric, you got a beard?

long day at work

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

@Nick

I go home (to Vegas) every Christmas and summer and had no idea that there was any backpacking that close. I was sure that Lake Mead and the surrounding areas were closed off for foot travel because everything down there are random "no trespassing" signs everywhere!

I've read through some of your trail reports and wish I'd read them two winters ago when I drove up to Zion between Christmas and New Years to get a quick backpacking fix in. I understand that you kind of want to keep those areas secluded and secret, but I might have to do a quick trip next time I get to go home!

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

Yeah, I'll twelfth the Akto…find flatish ground, pitch tent, sleep. Repeat until satisfied.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yeah, I'll twelfth the Akto

Three comments on the Akto so far…
    Eric does not have one but potentialy he likes that or similer ones…
    Ben found it too short
    Vince loves his…

Good news :the perfect winter tent will never be made.

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

The Soulo works quite well.

Soulo

Thomas Gauperaa
    BPL Member

@gauperaa

Locale: Norway

Yes, the Soulo looks very strong and stable: http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kLligRPO4tU

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

If a bit of snow does it for you , then I'll propose my Notch :

Notch on snow
    OK,just kidding…

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Regarding the Soulo. It would be a good shelter, unless you have to carry it.
    Totally NOT UL.

I know a lot of people don't have problem with a 5+ lb shelter, but I couldn't do it.

Some people love the idea of a dome shelter for winter use and all the heavy hardware that is required to make a dome work in the winter, but I'd personally look into another design.
    A-frame, pyramid, tunnel and other styles give a better weight to weatherproofness ratio.

Dan Geiger
    Spectator

@ramcam-2

I think an Akto with the Scarp Extra pole setup would be ideal. A nice snow load freestanding option.That kerlon fabric is tough.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools