Topic

Your fav solo winter backpacking tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your fav solo winter backpacking tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I would like to know what's classed as a UL Solo winter tent?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Whatever you feel safe in using.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Very wise answer Ray.

David Ure

@familyguy

Funny. I was looking at the Hilleberg catalogue last night and was surprised to see that both the Akto and Soulo have both gained considerable weight over the last couple of years. 3 lbs, 12 oz for the former and 5 lbs, 5 oz for the latter. Was there a change to the Kerlon fabric? The Soulo is now heavier than many dedicated 2 person winter shelters and it is small.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I have not seen the new catalogue Dave but a buddy was telling me about the weights advertised for the Soulo and Atko.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have never heard of either standard silnylon, spinnaker or mid-weight cuben failing from snow weight. The exception would be in cases of abuse or poor anchoring, which can happen.

The most common failures I've seen have been from wind and that can happen any time of year.

I have sat out tropical storms in exposed areas in shelters made out of these lighter materials without issue as long as I fully anchored all tie-outs.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have never heard of either standard silnylon, spinnaker or mid-weight cuben failing from snow weight..
    Same here.
    I have seen fabric failure AFTER pole failure, that is poles punch through the fabric. I can't think of a case the other way around.

I think an Akto with the Scarp Extra pole setup would be ideal.
    Might as well use the Scarp 1 with those x poles then…

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Like David, I was looking at the 2013 Hilleberg catalog yesterday. Packed weights have gone up between 3-7oz for most tents in the Kerlon 1800 and Kerlon 1200 lines, although suspiciously the Unna and Nallo 4 are unchanged.

You don't buy Hilleberg to go UL, but these revisions are disappointing. From other threads it appeared that the spec change occurred some time around the 2010/2011 model years, although the 4P Saitaris was introduced in 2011 and its packed weight was also revised up 6oz in the newest catalog.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I have an old Warmlight 2R tent I like. While it's a 2 man tent with something like 40 sq. ft. of space, it only tips the scales at around 3 pounds 5 ounces.

Actually, my current solo winter tent is a hammock. :-)

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools