Topic

Titanium Windscreen Design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Titanium Windscreen Design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 76 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Richard,

Very nice-looking clone. Well done!

Did you have any trouble folding the tabs, as I've found Ti is more fragile than Al, since it's nowhere near as ductile? I usually recommend making Ti tabs narrower, or splitting them in two.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Thanks Kevin. I couldn't have made it without your cone design script. I was a bit worried about folding the tabs in the Ti foil but didn't have any problems with them once I actually did them. I just used a small scrap piece of the Ti foil as a spacer and bent the tabs over that.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

What alloy of Ti are you guys using that you can bend it over like that?

I had to put this project on hold for a couple of days to process 144 Foster cans. I ran out of 2 designs. Got to play catchup now.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

Dan – I don't know the specific alloy. I got my Ti Foil (.005") from Titanium Goat and built my windscreen from that Ti Foil. It's pretty springy stuff. I have to be careful when I roll it up for storage. It wants to spring open so I'm careful to keep my fingers safe from sharp edges in case it slips and springs open. I roll it tight enough to fit inside the Fancee Feest stove and then my fuel bottle goes inside the rolled up windscreen and it results in a neat compact pckage that fits inside my 900ml wide Evernew Ultralight pot.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I have to be careful when I roll it up for storage. It wants to spring open so I'm careful to keep my fingers safe from sharp edges in case it slips and springs open."

You might want to check out the method that Trail Designs uses when they ship a Sidewinder. They roll the titanium up and slide that into a Tyvek sleeve, and the sleeve is stored inside the cook pot. This is a round paper/cloth tube, so it doesn't weigh much. The rolled titanium can't really jump out of that.

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I had that occur when I unpacked an aluminum cone while making a video. Got to remember that they are under tension. That tension issue was a concern for me when I designed this new windscreen. I releived the tension by heat treating. You can see from my last video that there is no longer a concern of a "jumping out" issue. I consider that a major improvement over the DIY or commercial cones.

Watch the video:

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/ridgeline-can-for-caldera-cone-keg.php

By the way, the stainless steel band closure strip that helps hold my windscreen together is in part an idea that Jason Klass came up with a few years ago. I think he called it a belt buckle closure. It had quite a few holes punched in it to reduce weight. Thanks Jason :-)

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Family matters have caused me to put this project on hold.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Dan, sorry to hear it. Hope everything works out OK.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thanks David. Son-in-law's funeral was yesterday. He was 54 years young. Heart attack/diabetes. Now life goes on for the rest of us for a space in time. Make the best of it.

I can begin my project again tomorrow.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Very sorry to hear about your son-in-law.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thank you Brent. Really takes a toll on a guy. Takes the wind out of your sails for a bit.

Hey, just wanted to get back on track with this project. Want to show you how I pack the stove in the wood burning mode. after you watch my video go over and watch the Trail Designs video on how the TiTri Inferno stove is loaded. Big difference in the two.

Watch "User Friendly" (click on it)

<center>

</center>

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

I'm finished with this windscreen project. All has went well. Working with titanium has been interesting and rewarding.

New design for a welded wire pot support gives new meaning to a StarLyte stove. Yesterday I weighed a 2 cup foster pot with lid, a starlyte burner with lid and a full size ss pot support and the weight came to 1.5 ounces. Pot support fits inside the Foster can.

Thank you everyone for your help on this project.

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

Dan,

Thanks for your work and videos on this project.
    I just ordered this new kit from you and it looks like
    you shipped already! Can't wait to try it!

Roger

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Yes, thank you. I shipped it out yesterday. Send me an email when it arrives, I have a question for you.

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

Dan,

Kit arrived and it looks great!
    Sent you a PM.

Roger

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

A thread by Delmar O'Donnell prompted me to bump this thread up because it has a lot of content that relates to information gathered in his thread. In this thread we can see how shared information improves on a design. The progression of designs has led to the use of louvers to swirl the incoming air to keep the flames centralized and turbulent. As they rise the turbulence is maintained by the ridges in a flat bottomed Foster's can. A photo and video of that windscreen can be seen in Delmar's thread.

In this thread you will see the use of crenelation pot support/air entry system.

Can a plain cylindrical windscreen be the pot support?

DY
    Adventures In Stove Making

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Thanks for the bump, Dan. I had not seen this excellent thread.

Paul French
    BPL Member

@ssghawk

Locale: Northern Texas

This is dedicated to Dan Zelph who provides constant encouragement, support and guidance always like a perfect gentlemen.
    This is based on the concept that the longer we can keep turbulated exhaust in the space been the windscreen and the pot, the greater the heat extraction.

I call this the JenBar Swirl after my daughter and also my wife. I was young man (not baby sitting as he started beating me at chess at age 3)sitting my 7 year old super jock grandson. I watch him side down the tightly wound McDonald's playland slide and had the lite bulb turn on moment. How don't I make the exhaust swirl around the pot without too much weight addition and with the strength to stay attach permanently to the pot. I am on generation 4 or so and this week I hope to make a real prototype. I have made a number of test beds using wood stove gasket with a coat hanger to make and hold the slide swirls in the proper shape and position and the size/shape of the swirling bends. This gave me the easy ability to test the amount of swirls and the distance between the pot and the wind screen.

A probably will make the first proto type with aluminum flashing. Ultimately will use much lighter tooling foil or titanium. Not being an engineer, I had to cut up a boat load of empty cereal boxes to figure out the template to cut the slide and support tabs. Everything on that is set except for the blood the will be required during the cutting.

The aluminum flashing slide will be high temp epoxied to the pot itself(a Zelph 32 oz flat bottom ridged conquistador)The inner windscreen will be horizontally corrugated for strength since the final version will be very light Next comes a 1/16 to 1/4" of carbon felt or fiberglass insulation (insulation suggestions appreciated) and then a final corrugated tooling foil cover. The windscreen will be as tall as the stove plus clearance plus the file pot height. The temporary packing storage container will be a oatmeal round cardboard container or an old aluminum coffee pot.(packing storage containers appreciated.)

The windscreen may have a permanent bottom for rigidity and possibly swing out feet with holes to use with small stakes.

the width between the inner windscreen and the pot will be approximately 3/4" away from the pot and possibly more depending on many sides I add. Slides mean the exhaust must bend which chokes efficiency so the opening gap must me larger.

THe air inlet holes will be substantial but will be side opening as shown in Zelph's swirling inlets posted here or on his website. A drop of epoxy will help help the side hinged doors from being moved. There will be an inner lower ring of Dan's old style corrugate windscreen that will be somewhat taller than the inlet air holes & this will be epoxied in place. There will be a lip on the bottom of the windscreen that will hold a tooling foil with similar air holes as in the windscreen that can close up or limit the amount of the air inlet flow. The stove is Dan's giant starlyte that cones with his conquistador kit. I will extend the lighting wick so it can reach to an easy place to light. I am considering making the lower portion of the windstand a separate section that the top windscreen will stack onto. The stove will been epoxied to a piece of carbon felt and than to the bottom of the pot. I will have a simmer ring to fit on the top of the Starlyte as well as the ability to turn down the air inlet vents. There will be a base reflector made out of kitchen aluminum to help keep the stove cool.I may want to put a viewing pot so I can monitor the flame.

This is wear I am. Picture will follow if I get it together, up and running.

All suggestions greatly appreciated,

And thanks again to Dan the man.
    Paul French

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hey Paul, we look forward to the completion of your JenBar Swirl. That's quite a project you've taken on. Get it up and running…..the sooner, the better :-)))))

Viewing 19 posts - 76 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools